• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IOTAVX SA3 Integrated Amplifier

mk05

Forum Donor
I have also been waiting for this review and the XTZ Edge A2-300. But...that Purifi...damn.

TXinD76121

I have also been waiting for this review and the XTZ Edge A2-300. But...that Purifi...damn.

I too have been waiting for this mysterious “Amir” of whom you speak. Wasn’t there an Amir who was a wicked djinn in The Arabian Nights, whose trick was to tantalize mortals with promises, only to make them wait interminably, pining and yearning?

In the meantime, can anyone please tell me if you can conventionally biamp the Iota combo, with one amp going to the highs and mids and the other to the bass? I’ve emailed Iota, but apparently Ian is a djinn who....

;-)

Last edited:

lotoboy

I too have been waiting for this mysterious “Amir” of whom you speak. Wasn’t there an Amir who was a wicked djinn in The Arabian Nights, whose trick was to tantalize mortals with promises, only to make them wait interminably, pining and yearning?

In the meantime, can anyone please tell me if you can conventionally biamp the Iota combo, with one amp going to the highs and mids and the other to the bass? I’ve emailed Iota, but apparently Ian is a djinn who....

;-)

So, let me get this straight. Instead of 100wpc for each speaker, you want a 45W bi-amp per channel/speaker? I've never done this (and I'm not going to), but just set the switch to "stereo" on both SA3 and PA3; connect RCA cable from Pre-out of SA3 to Amp-in of PA3, then connect SA3 speaker wires to the top connectors of the speakers, and the PA3 to the bottom. It should do it. Try it and report back.

Last edited:

TXinD76121

Hmm, well, I hardly know how to respond, seeing as how you're being both scornful of me and also helpful. :rolleyes:

Yes, that's what I meant. Two reasons, one, because all my experiences with bridged stereo amps haven't been the best (I'd much rather have a monobloc with similar power), while my experiences with biamping have been good (admittedly, never with identical amps top and bottom) and second, because, if I want a 100 wpc stereo integrated, I'll buy a 100 wpc stereo integrated. The only reason I can see for Iota's unusual arrangement of integrated + identical power amp would be to allow impecunious buyers to buy their 100 watts in two installments. Iota's not the first to do it, either--NAD had a similar possibility available some years back. I was just curious that no reviewer has mentioned the possibility of biamping and I thought there might be a technical reason for that.

Thank you for your helpfulness!

raddro

Hmm, well, I hardly know how to respond, seeing as how you're being both scornful of me and also helpful. :rolleyes:

Yes, that's what I meant. Two reasons, one, because all my experiences with bridged stereo amps haven't been the best (I'd much rather have a monobloc with similar power), while my experiences with biamping have been good (admittedly, never with identical amps top and bottom) and second, because, if I want a 100 wpc stereo integrated, I'll buy a 100 wpc stereo integrated. The only reason I can see for Iota's unusual arrangement of integrated + identical power amp would be to allow impecunious buyers to buy their 100 watts in two installments. Iota's not the first to do it, either--NAD had a similar possibility available some years back. I was just curious that no reviewer has mentioned the possibility of biamping and I thought there might be a technical reason for that.

Thank you for your helpfulness!

FWIW, I sent an e-mail to them 2 days ago asking if bi-amping was possible with this stack and the response from Ian was exactly "yes it is possible." So it seems there shouldn't be any technical reason not to work. I did ask how he would suggest doing it, but I am still waiting on a response.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
That's an old picture - I have the new, version 2 model. It doesn't have the silver trim. All black. It looks good to me - and does what it needs to do for my music experience.

View attachment 61494
Looks like a 13 year old kid's gamers pc case with all those lights :D.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW, I sent an e-mail to them 2 days ago asking if bi-amping was possible with this stack and the response from Ian was exactly "yes it is possible." So it seems there shouldn't be any technical reason not to work. I did ask how he would suggest doing it, but I am still waiting on a response.

I'm waiting for a response from Ian as well. PaypPal delivered a $900+ payment to him for an IOTAVX AV preamp on May 1, and Ian sent me an acknowledgement with a "personal" thank you that same day.

Since then, Nada! Nothing! I sent another email on Tuesday asking when my unit will ship. No response yet. Perhaps there's no problem - and the AVP is on its way from the UK to Miami. I will update when - and if - Ian replies to me. I know it's a budget high-end component, but I don't like being ignored after sending nearly a thousand dollar as a prepayment to a vendor.

OTOH, I ordered my Wharfedale D300 series L/R + C from Music Direct the same day, received an acknowledgement, had concerns about a critical detail on the shipping address and sent them an email. Not only did I get an email response within a day, but someone called me via my Florida telephone number (which forwards and rings on my cell phone in Panama) to make sure everything was correct. And now the speakers have shipped and will arrive at my Panama package forwarding company in Miami on Monday. That's good customer service.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes - it's got all the features I want - did you look at the list? After many hours of searching and I could find nothing else like it.

As I have noted earlier in this thread in a longish post (#92 - one page back), there are a number of reasons I am attracted to it - including the responses of the company's to IOTAVX amplifier purchasers.

I'm just anxious to get it, and only time will tell if this communication issue is an common problem or not.

Rifmon

Forum Donor
I've read mixed experiences regarding communications with Ian. I can understand it because it's still a start up company. It's also a direct marketing company. The fact that emails are answered by Ian will tell you something. The trade off is what you get for the money. If the business model was retail, the Iotavx SA3 might be more like $1000.00.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes - it's got all the features I want - did you look at the list? After many hours of searching and I could find nothing else like it.

As I have noted earlier in this thread in a longish post (#92 - one page back), there are a number of reasons I am attracted to it - including the responses of the company's to IOTAVX amplifier purchasers.

I'm just anxious to get it, and only time will tell if this communication issue is an common problem or not.
Yes, that pre-amp looks like it does everything and makes beverages too and it's good when the representative(s) are prompt and eager.
There may be virus related issues with shipping/receiving. I ordered a jacket from Amazon and they moved the ETA 3 weeks further out and there was no guarantee there on that ETA of 4 weeks. Time will tell.

ferongr

Forum Donor
What's the appeal here? Power output is middling at best, THD+N as published (at what power?) is just "OK", and is also A-weighted (so it could be a lot worse comparatively depending on distortion spectrum) and it doesn't seem to stand out otherwise. If looking for an integrated amp, the A-S701 is almost the same price but has more than twice the power, slightly better distortion figures specified at rated power without psychoacoustic weighting and better worldwide availability and servicing.

At the other end, for a pure power amp, NC252MP solutions are way superior in measured performance and power output, while also consuming a lot less power and space.

lotoboy

I'm waiting for a response from Ian as well. PaypPal delivered a $900+ payment to him for an IOTAVX AV preamp on May 1, and Ian sent me an acknowledgement with a "personal" thank you that same day.

Since then, Nada! Nothing! I sent another email on Tuesday asking when my unit will ship. No response yet. Perhaps there's no problem - and the AVP is on its way from the UK to Miami. I will update when - and if - Ian replies to me. I know it's a budget high-end component, but I don't like being ignored after sending nearly a thousand dollar as a prepayment to a vendor.

OTOH, I ordered my Wharfedale D300 series L/R + C from Music Direct the same day, received an acknowledgement, had concerns about a critical detail on the shipping address and sent them an email. Not only did I get an email response within a day, but someone called me via my Florida telephone number (which forwards and rings on my cell phone in Panama) to make sure everything was correct. And now the speakers have shipped and will arrive at my Panama package forwarding company in Miami on Monday. That's good customer service.

What you are experiencing is, unfortunately, pretty common for IOTAVX customers. If they have item in stock, they ship it very quick (I got my PA3 in 5 days). If there're delay(s), it could be months with numerous unanswered emails (my SA3 is an example). It's pretty much one man show (probably to keep the overhead cost down), and Ian only responds to what he believes is essential, emails inquiring about order status is normally not. This is gleaned from my personal experience and various comments customers left in the comment section of product reviews (Youtube, forums, and even their own website).
When you place an order, you will get a standard greeting email from the owner, Ian, stating that you can contact him. Sometimes he calls you when he's not busy or with urgent issue. Ian is a good guy and friendly, but customer service is not his strong point. I nickname him Casper because he's friendly yet likes to ghost people.
I could write a long story about my experience with IOTAVX, but the point is if you expect a good customer service and responsive communication from IOTAVX, you won't get it. They are a small startup with limited customer service resource, so if you experience problems, they will work with you but expect frustration along the way.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What you are experiencing is, unfortunately, pretty common for IOTAVX customers.

Thanks Lotoboy. Kind of what I expected - good guy with good intentions, but not truly aware of the value of good communications. I will deal with my frustrations, and hope that it ships sooner than later. However, some customers along the way will not tolerate this lack of response and initiate order cancelations and PayPal or Visa refund requests. OTOH, those payment options give me a bit of confidence in buying from possibly flaky vendors.

I will not be able to fire up my new center speaker until the IOTAVX AVP arrives. I have a feeling that VTV amplifiers in the U.S. is a similar company, and I give small-time vendors a little slack.

I am not so tolerant with bigger businesses with a typical business office and staff, and Music Direct, as strictly an internet retailer, falls into that category. I expected good customer service from them, and I got it.

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
When I placed my order, they SA3 was currently on back-order. However, Ian did provide me with a date that the integrated amplifiers would be in their warehouse. After that date, it took 3-4 days before I received the confirmation that the item had been shipped out.

Rifmon

Forum Donor
I’m waiting to see if I can connect the dots between scientific measurements and all the great subjective reviews. Zero Fidelity just came out with his 4th video on the Iotavx yesterday. Actually it was a comparison video between that and a Cambridge Audio.

For me, it’ll be between the Iota option and a totally re capped vintage dual mono and separate preamp set up.

I get that class d is the future but for me it’s still the wild west with all the various incarnations and unless you have a decent understanding one can buy poorly.

Reactions: wje
OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
I’m waiting to see if I can connect the dots between scientific measurements and all the great subjective reviews. Zero Fidelity just came out with his 4th video on the Iotavx yesterday. Actually it was a comparison video between that and a Cambridge Audio.

For me, it’ll be between the Iota option and a totally re capped vintage dual mono and separate preamp set up.

I get that class d is the future but for me it’s still the wild west with all the various incarnations and unless you have a decent understanding one can buy poorly.

For all the Cambridge Audio that I've owned, I've been quite impressed. Ironically, my $600 CXA80 integrated amplifier had a better sound to it than my McIntosh MA-5200. Sure, the McIntosh is quite an impressive component, but to my ears, I liked the Cambridge. The moved onto the 851N for the streamer and preamp, paired with their 851W amplifier.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For all the Cambridge Audio that I've owned, I've been quite impressed. Ironically, my $600 CXA80 integrated amplifier had a better sound to it than my McIntosh MA-5200. Sure, the McIntosh is quite an impressive component, but to my ears, I liked the Cambridge. The moved onto the 851N for the streamer and preamp, paired with their 851W amplifier.

Did you try to minimize the effect of confirmation bias in your listening comparisons by relying on careful level-matched double blind sessions? Unless they are designed with build-in distortions to give them a non-transparent sonic character or "house sound", amplifiers should not sound different if operated within their specified limits. Perhaps one was being driven into clipping or distortion? Or perhaps one of them is not linear and transparent or has an input or output impedance mismatch with your source and/or speakers.

Or perhaps your brain was fooling you - which happens to all humans.

Reactions: wje

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you try to minimize the effect of confirmation bias in your listening comparisons by relying on careful level-matched double blind sessions? Unless they are designed with build-in distortions to give them a non-transparent sonic character or "house sound", amplifiers should not sound different if operated within their specified limits.
Don't McIntosh amps still use output transformers after the power stage? I can imagine that this leads to a specific house sound.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I will eventually sell my excellent 8-y/o rear-ported Paradigm Atom v.6 bookshelf speakers

Those might make some nice surround speakers...

Nice setup you are putting together! Looking forward to your usage report.

Top Bottom