• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IOTAVX SA3 Integrated Amplifier

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
Only Amir knows. Don't know if anyone has asked him recently. I'm still curious, though, so I'm hoping this thread stays alive.

I haven't spoken to him since the unit arrived. It was indicated earlier, the turn-around time on reviews was approximately 4 weeks. Being that we're at 7 or so weeks now, yet seeing reviews on DACs, KEF speakers, etc., I'm trying not to lose hope - albeit, I'm out of the return window for the integrated amplifier.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm hoping this thread stays alive.

Resurrection for humans is difficult, but for forum threads, it's quite easy. Also, "following" a thread will get you a notification alert when that thread is resurrected.

I've been participating at internet forums for over 20 years, and this is one of the best as far as how it works.

Rifmon

Forum Donor
When I read that the Iotavx was going to be reviewed here I was thrilled since it was on my short list. I therefore marked the date. Tomorrow is 8 weeks. I would’ve bought something by now be it the Iotavx or another option but I know what would’ve happened. The next day the review would appear invalidate v whatever choice I made.

maybe I’ll buy something so the review will come out!:)

Rifmon

Forum Donor
Well, I've had some troubles with vintage. I've been playing in that area for actually quite a few years now, although for the past 5 years I've been on hiatus from audio altogether. My sorties into vintage ended when I bought a "fully restored" Accuphase E-202 and paid what at the time was a premium for it (it isn't any more--they've gone up in price quite a bit), and it lasted a matter of months before developing the turn-on relay problem, which is apparently a known known with that unit. Some techs says it can't be fixed because it requires a part that's NLA, some techs that specialize in the E-202, like Amplifier Surgery, have worked out workarounds. But that's $695 and shipping x2, and I already have a lot sunk into the old thing. Now I don't know how I'm going to get it out of the house.

Sounded sweet when it worked, though. I thought I had finally found "my" amp.

That's the trouble with vintage...something can always go wrong, and then, after you get it put it right, something can always go wrong. :facepalm:

But then, my first attempt to buy a used car, for $500 in 1977, was an absolute disaster—I mean comically so, in an exaggerated, everything-that-could-possibly-go-wrong-went-wrong kinda way—and yet my then-friend Mark Fowle bought a used car for $375 in 1973 and put nothing into it except gas and oil for the next six years and it was as reliable as rain the whole time. So it can go either way. Some people are charmed when it comes to vintage, some are cursed.

Would you call the A3.5 "vintage"? What was it, 2005-6 or so? I seem to remember it was only a current product for a relatively short time.

Well this gives me further pause. Yikes. Oh well, then there are plenty of stories where brand new units function just past the warranty. I had one person tell me that he will only restore units that are pure pre amp and Amps. No usb, no blue tooth and not even remote control capabilities. He told me the reason but it went right over my head. If the unit I’m thinking of buying has a problem I know I could get it back to him.

No the A3.5 is not vintage. I call it used. And that unit is probable 2005.

Appleguy33

Just arrived! Straight out of the box this combo sounds amazing!

Attachments

• 2C5D0C1B-9C06-42BF-94E9-6C59D8960C11.jpeg
    2C5D0C1B-9C06-42BF-94E9-6C59D8960C11.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 594

Rifmon

Forum Donor
Just arrived! Straight out of the box this combo sounds amazing!
I just filled my cart haha...... but wait? Should I wait? Oh too torment.

Can you share any more on your impressions of this stack? What were you using before the arrival and hook up of your new Iottavx stack?

BTW, looked up those speakers. Really nice! I like the look of those and they get great reviews.

Appleguy33

I just filled my cart haha...... but wait? Should I wait? Oh too torment.

Can you share any more on your impressions of this stack? What were you using before the arrival and hook up of your new Iottavx stack?

BTW, looked up those speakers. Really nice! I like the look of those and they get great reviews.

I will post detailed impressions after about 50 hours of break in. I can tell these were definitely made for those who desire that “vintage” sound. very smooth with excellent imaging. Just like some of the reviews say, i can tell they intentionally reduced the bass. So you get a very tight and detailed bass response. The bass is more or less blended in with the music this way. If that makes sense. This isnt an issue for me since I needed a subwoofer any, with the speakers I have. So far so good though.

Reactions: wje

Rifmon

Forum Donor
Thanks! That’s pretty confirming if all the reviews. Amazing! I won’t be getting a subwoofer. My speakers extend to 32 hz convincingly so it would be interesting to see how they would respond to this unit. Again thanks for your early impressions.

Rifmon

Forum Donor
Thanks wje. I hope he’s feeling better!

This will certainly be interesting whatever the results are. I remain hopeful.

Reactions: wje

TXinD76121

Great company!
What's the verdict?

Too much gain. About 32 dB total [correction...more like 42 dB], which is too much for a CD player. I'm thinking of getting a DAC/preamp to run straight into the power amp (except I know nothing about the options) or else get some Rothwell 10dB attenuators. But it's very attractive and quite elegant--actually a bit delicate in person, which surprised me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom