• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My friend has a Scarlett 4i4; will there be a big difference in audio quality compared to using that, versus something like a Topping DX3 Pro?

lukeman3000

I recommended a DX3 Pro to my friend who wants to step up from mobo audio, but he said he already has a 4i4. This can function essentially the same as the DX3 pro with regards to being an external sound card, right? Would there be a substantial difference in quality of music or gaming between the two?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would there be a substantial difference in quality of music or gaming between the two?
For day-to-day use it would be very hard, verging on impossible to tell a difference, unless you have very demanding headphones and it can't power them properly.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Is it's anything like the 2i2 or Solo, I'd be considering something else possibly... link;

1707798155067.png

JSmith

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I recommended a DX3 Pro to my friend who wants to step up from mobo audio, but he said he already has a 4i4. This can function essentially the same as the DX3 pro with regards to being an external sound card, right? Would there be a substantial difference in quality of music or gaming between the two?
No.

95dB SINAD to speakers out and 300ohm headphones is more than plenty and not audible (sure if you have 30ohm headphones have a closer look).

Last edited:

Miguelón

The Scarlett has a very nice and neutral sounding headphone output, just the one limitation I had found is no MQA decoding if you use Tidal.

Personally I will try Topping just for that function

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@lukeman3000 key word is driving what and at which SPL in case of some in ears/ on - over ears? For balanced line out to active speakers no, eventually regarding noise when not playing anything. For headphones/earphones a lot more depands but in generally Scarlett ain't good there.

Top Bottom