• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interesting new Moondrop product- DSP equipped IEM cable

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Most interesting part of a recent Shenzhenaudio Moondrop mailshot.

Assuming the app/ interface has a decent english translation and works (looking at you Tanchjim Android app!) might well be worth a punt- a viable alternative to the Qudelix for IEMs?

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I am understanding it correctly, it is a USB-C dongle DAC/AMP with DSP that offers parametric EQ? Very interesting. I thought DSPs will make their way into DACs and DAC/AMP combos but I did not think the first product in the market other than the beloved Qudelix 5K would be a cable / DAC / AMP / DSP combo, from Moondrop of all companies. Online tool sounds positive and negative at the same time - glad we don't need to install anything and am worried what happens to the DAC if they decide to turn the server off. In any case, very cool.

Last edited:
OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am understanding it correctly that it is a USB-C dongle DAC/AMP with DSP that offer parametric EQ? Very interesting. I thought DSPs will make theiw way into DACs and DAC/AMP combos but I did not think the first product in the market other than the beloved Qudelix 5K would be a cable / DAC / AMP / DSP combo from Moondrop of all companies. Online tool sounds positive and negative at the same time - glad we don't need to install anything and worried what happens to the DAC if they decide to turn the server off. In any case, very cool.
That's my understanding of it. The quality of the interface /software will be everything, well and the number of filters allowed.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is quite a brilliant product, Link2.0. I want to give it a try.

MCH

Major Contributor
I believe they were already selling a iem with DSP, not sure if in the cable or in the connector. Very cheap, like 25 euros.(edit:15 euros! makes the apple dongle look expensive) Quarks something?

Last edited:
OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe they were already selling a iem with DSP, not sure if in the cable or in the connector. Very cheap, like 25 euros. Quarks something?
They had at least 2. I have the Jiu. The tech is all in the usb c plug. The interface wasn't great using the v1 link app, I never bothered

Reactions: MCH

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if it has a limited GEQ or a more complex PEQ, and how many bands etc.

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if it has a limited GEQ or a more complex PEQ, and how many bands etc.
The blurb suggests peq but not sure how many or any restrictions.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Seams app is still in rather early development, no translation and still state's PEQ will be added in the future (V 2.1.1.). You should keap an eye and see how it goes. Cable is interesting hopefully will be inspiration for future dongle DAC's.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
More than USB-C IEM cables I would like to see DSP enabled dual dongles. Like a Dawn Pro DSP for 80 USD would be a killer product, technically superior to a Qudelix 5k.

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For reference , the Jiu (fixed cable DSP so bets it being a refinement on this) has 5 configurable PEQ peak filters. This new cable surely cant have less than that. One would hope 5 peak plus a low and high shelf filter as a minimum.

threni

Major Contributor
OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: MCH

RandomEar

With the fixed 2-pin cable attached it is only compatible with IEMs using that connector and it will be e-waste once the cable gets damaged. I guess it's fine for Moondrop IEMs and many others, but if they had used a 4.4 mm plug socket (maybe with a 4.4 -> 3.5 mm adapter included), it would have worked with any IEM in existence. Looks nice and all, but this seems like a bit of a missed opportunity to me :confused:

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With the fixed 2-pin cable attached it is only compatible with IEMs using that connector and it will be e-waste once the cable gets damaged. I guess it's fine for Moondrop IEMs and many others, but if they had used a 4.4 mm plug (maybe with a 4.4 -> 3.5 mm adapter included), it would have worked with any IEM in existence. Looks nice and all, but this seems like a bit of a missed opportunity to me :confused:

I think they would have struggled to implement DSP with an analogue connection (and no DAC/USB chip/power, etc.)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This image on the ShenzhenAudio website seems to indicate at least 6 PEQ bands...

1695134494057.png

But I can't find the Link 2.0 app on the Play Store.

RandomEar

I think they would have struggled to implement DSP with an analogue connection (and no DAC/USB chip/power, etc.)
I'm referring to USB C input but with 4.4 mm output instead of the fixed 2-pin cable. Sorry if that wasn't clear :)

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm referring to USB C input but with 4.4 mm output instead of the fixed 2-pin cable. Sorry if that wasn't clear :)
I think we are all hoping for a dongle with PEQ at some point- but these folks aint daft- this way they can sell one DSP equipped cable per pair of IEM we own rather than one dongle and we plug all of them into it.

Something like the legendary Meizu Hifi pro but with a slightly bigger USB C plug and 10 band PEQ would be incredible!

Top Bottom