• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated stereo amplifier with bass-management?

MCH

Major Contributor
I believe the single xlr is to use as mono bridged. And actually that might be the reason to include the low pass filter: to use it with a passive sub.
No idea though.

The case is that i see the companies making these small amps start adding filters. Hope one day they do a variable low pass + high pass in this size and price range. This was my point.

sgent

For $400 this amp seems to do pretty much everything but be small (but it could be hidden), and you will need a pre-amp.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe the single xlr is to use as mono bridged. And actually that might be the reason to include the low pass filter: to use it with a passive sub.
I looked a bit further and according to this you are correct but they have not seem to aim for subwoofer. In summary, very odd choices.

S461618c3b4af4693865523eddc643680u.jpg

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For $400 this amp seems to do pretty much everything but be small (but it could be hidden), and you will need a pre-amp.

I think you missed the specs on post 1.

djtetei

Like I already said in a previous post on this thread, the answer to your prayers is the use of a mixer / studio monitor controller and an active crossover network / loudspeaker management system with built-in low delay control between the sources and whatever you may want down the chain. The active crossover network gives you the control you need, when you need and keeps open the option to upgrade at any time whatever you may have down the chain.
Simplicity, ease of use, adjustability, upgradability, serviceability and affordability is what make you sleep well at night and enjoy the music day and night.
At the start of the thread you mentioned something about the use of small speakers in confined spaces, which means that sub low frequencies (long wavelengths) and small rooms don't make good friends.

Last edited:

telemike

K231 Features:

• Linkwitz-Riley filters, 4th order 24dB/Octave or optional 2nd order 12dB/Octave filter slope
  • High precision 0.1% filter components for precise XO frequency selection and ultra low distortion
  • Heavy internal Mu Metal shielding to prevent transformer noise from entering the audio paths
  • Allows you to Bi-amp or Tri-amp your sound system, or add a sub-woofer to vintage audio equipment lacking LFE
  • Supports 4-way or 5-way operation by cascading two K231's
  • All analog design using only the highest quality audiophile grade components:
    • Burr-Brown op-amps ~ Legendary audiophile grade op amps with .00005% Distortion
    • Metalized Polypropylene Film capacitors with 2% precision
    • Metal film resistors with 1% and 0.1% precision
    • ALPS metal film potentiometers
  • Crossover frequency and slope is selected through pluggable 'XO Modules'
  • Wide range of XO Modules are available to support any crossover frequency
  • Optional Sub channel L/R mixer to support a mono sub-woofer channel
  • Supports both Balanced and Unbalanced audio signaling on all inputs and outputs
  • Sub, Mid and High output gain front panel adjustments
  • Baffle Step Compensation, with adjustable gain and selectable baffle size ranges
  • Made in USA
  • We stock the following XO Module frequencies. When ordering, please specify your desired 'Sub' and 'Mid/High' crossover frequencies, as well as the slope (12dB or 24dB/octave) in the 'Special Instructions' box on the shopping cart page:

• Any multiple of 10Hz from 40Hz-200Hz (e.g. 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz ... 200Hz)
    • 250Hz, 275Hz, 350Hz, 450Hz
    • Any multiple of 100Hz from 300Hz-4000Hz
    • Any multiple of 500Hz from 4500Hz-12000Hz

IMG_8989_grande.JPG

IMG_9490_1024x1024.JPG

IMG_9442_1024x1024.JPG

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Like I already said in a previous post on this thread, the answer to your prayers is the use of a mixer / studio monitor controller and an active crossover network / loudspeaker management system with built-in low delay control between the sources and whatever you may want down the chain. The active crossover network gives you the control you need, when you need and keeps open the option to upgrade at any time whatever you may have down the chain.
Simplicity, ease of use, adjustability, upgradability, serviceability and affordability is what make you sleep well at night and enjoy the music day and night.
Thankfully there have been manufacturers who have been listening "my prayers" and been offering amplifiers that fit the criteria. There is not a large selection but nevertheless there are options available that does not require your professional solution. We are talking about an integrated amplifier with an integrated active crossover to be used at a home not a professional equipment designed for a studio.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

K231 Features:

• Linkwitz-Riley filters, 4th order 24dB/Octave or optional 2nd order 12dB/Octave filter slope
  • High precision 0.1% filter components for precise XO frequency selection and ultra low distortion
  • Heavy internal Mu Metal shielding to prevent transformer noise from entering the audio paths
  • Allows you to Bi-amp or Tri-amp your sound system, or add a sub-woofer to vintage audio equipment lacking LFE
  • Supports 4-way or 5-way operation by cascading two K231's
  • All analog design using only the highest quality audiophile grade components:
    • Burr-Brown op-amps ~ Legendary audiophile grade op amps with .00005% Distortion
    • Metalized Polypropylene Film capacitors with 2% precision
    • Metal film resistors with 1% and 0.1% precision
    • ALPS metal film potentiometers
  • Crossover frequency and slope is selected through pluggable 'XO Modules'
  • Wide range of XO Modules are available to support any crossover frequency
  • Optional Sub channel L/R mixer to support a mono sub-woofer channel
  • Supports both Balanced and Unbalanced audio signaling on all inputs and outputs
  • Sub, Mid and High output gain front panel adjustments
  • Baffle Step Compensation, with adjustable gain and selectable baffle size ranges
  • Made in USA
  • We stock the following XO Module frequencies. When ordering, please specify your desired 'Sub' and 'Mid/High' crossover frequencies, as well as the slope (12dB or 24dB/octave) in the 'Special Instructions' box on the shopping cart page:

• Any multiple of 10Hz from 40Hz-200Hz (e.g. 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz ... 200Hz)
    • 250Hz, 275Hz, 350Hz, 450Hz
    • Any multiple of 100Hz from 300Hz-4000Hz
    • Any multiple of 500Hz from 4500Hz-12000Hz

IMG_8989_grande.JPG

IMG_9490_1024x1024.JPG

IMG_9442_1024x1024.JPG
And your point of posting the above to this thread is?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

djtetei

@sarumbear That's exactly why I said that I will leave to you the pleasure of scouting for what you need and afford.
On another note, some homes, like mine, also have studio room setup for mixing and mastering so the professional use hardware can be used "at home" without any issues, with small and big monitor speakers complemented by subwoofers.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@sarumbear That's why I said that I will leave to you the pleasure of scouting for what you need and afford.
On another note, some homes, like mine, also have studio room setup for mixing and mastering so the professional use hardware can be used "at home" without any issues.
Thank you but if you had read the thread you will understand that I am not looking out a solution for myself. I am compiling a list for a solution that members may need. In other words, I am researching. I have compiled a specification, it would be nice of you to offer solutions that fit to the it instead of arguing about what is called a home or a studio. Otherwise we only pollute the thread.

Thank you for understanding.

Last edited:

Fwiler

You are missing the point of a crossover. As I said earlier a crossover is not an EQ. A 2.1. system is a bass managed stereo system. The method is defined, it is stereo active crossover with the LP out summed to mono out. There is no point arguing if the concept is not adhered to as it will be wrong, hence my choice of word "silly".
What's silly is you don't understand that a crossover fixed at 80hz like you mention isn't always better. Especially in a tiny room you will have nodes to deal with in the bass region. If you have speakers that do go down to 50hz and a subwoofer that will do 20-100 or 120, you will get a fuller sound and the mains fill in the nodes created by one subwoofer. This is why a lot of people run full to towers and or satellites and not crossover to a sub.
It does not matter what you call it. The op does know what a crossover is, he isn't arguing that, you are by saying it's essential to crossover between sats and sub, when it may not be depending on the room and speakers.

Last edited:
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What's silly is you don't understand that a crossover fixed at 80hz like you mention isn't always better. Especially in a tiny room you will have nodes to deal with in the bass region. If you have speakers that do go down to 50hz and a subwoofer that will do 20-100 or 120, you will get a fuller sound and the mains fill in the nodes created by one subwoofer. This is why a lot of people run full to towers and or satellites and not crossover to a sub.
It does not matter what you call it. The op does know what a crossover is, he isn't arguing that, you are by saying it's essential to crossover between sats and sub, when it may not be depending on the room and speakers.
:D:D:D:D:D I am the OP!

And, I’m not arguing for a fixed crossover. Read my specs.

Reactions: MCH

Fwiler

:D:D:D:D:D I am the OP!

And, I’m not arguing for a fixed crossover. Read my specs.
The OP explaining the A300. And you have two full posts that the crossover needs to match hp and lp. It doesn't. They are two different speakers. This isn't an internal crossover of a speaker. The term crossover is prevalent term, not unlike receivers using the term when assigning different crossover points to mains, center, rears, and sub. They can all be different and in higher end equipment, they rarely do.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The OP explaining the A300. And you have two full posts that the crossover needs to match hp and lp. It doesn't. They are two different speakers. This isn't an internal crossover of a speaker. The term crossover is prevalent term, not unlike receivers using the term when assigning different crossover points to mains, center, rears, and sub. They can all be different and in higher end equipment, they rarely do.
Do we have a language problem. I am the original poster, the member who started the thread, the OP. Look at my avatar on any message on this thread and you will see OP overlaid on it.

Besides, what is A300, what speakers you are talking about? What you are posting doesn't tally to the subject.

For the record, you are completely wrong in understanding what is a crossover. If you want to learn I and other members here will help but if you think you know best, please do us a favour and stop polluting the thread. Thank you.

Last edited:

Fwiler

Do we have a language problem. I am the original poster, the member who started the thread, the OP. Look at my avatar on any message on this thread and you will see OP overlaid on it.

Besides, what is A300, what speakers you are talking about? What you are posting doesn't tally to the subject.

For the record, you are completely wrong in understanding what is a crossover. If you want to learn I and other members here will help but if you think you know best, please do us a favour and stop polluting the thread. Thank you.
Yes it looks like you have a reading comprehension problem. Let me spell it out for you. The original poster explaining about the A300 djtetei, not the op of the entire thread. It really doesn't take much to figure that out from what I said. The SMSL A300 just a half dozen posts back. It's not a speaker. Can you really not remember posts from just today? Or have the ability to scroll up a little bit and read what you wrote previously?

What you seem to fail to understand is that almost every manufacturer uses that word to designate a frequency filter. To prevent certain frequencies from passing through. It does not mean that two different speakers have to meet at the same crossover point. Look at the screen of any receiver setup. They all state a crossover frequency for each speaker or speaker pairs. If you want to call every manufacturer wrong, then go right ahead. But the consensus across the industry is the same.

Last edited:
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it looks like you have a reading comprehension problem. Let me spell it out for you. The original poster explaining about the A300 djtetei, not the op of the entire thread. It really doesn't take much to figure that out from what I said. The SMSL A300 just a half dozen posts back.

What you seem to fail to understand is that every manufacturer uses that word to designate a frequency filter. To prevent certain frequencies from passing through. It does not mean that two different speakers have to meet at the same crossover point. Look at the screen of any receiver setup. They all state a crossover frequency for each speaker.
I am not sure who has the reading problem. Let me ask a simple non-audio question: do you realise that the OP of this thread is me? Yes or no, please?

Koloth

Perhaps a decent integrated av-receiver with bridgeable power stages might suit some use cases discussed here. You'd still pay for three power stages (in the case of a 7.1 receiver) without using them though.

(Btw to continue this discussion unbothered, one can click on sarumbears name and chose "ignore".)

Fwiler

I am not sure who has the reading problem. Let me ask a simple non-audio question: do you realise that the OP of this thread is me? Yes or no, please?
Semantics again even after it's explained to you. Do that with yourself and not others, please.

posvibes

Is it me or ELAC has discontinued this product and dealers are selling stock. Their website does not show integrated amplifiers anymore.
Checking the ELAC German (elac.de) site it seems it has been replaced with a newer product with a few changes, I found this quick comparison between the two, not sure if it meets your needs as comprehensively anymore. On the other hand perhaps you can pick up the original at a bargain price?

Top Bottom