• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated stereo amplifier with bass-management?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When was the last time you had access to a manual at the dealer/shop or at an ecommerce site?

I haven't been in a dealer/shop in ages, too long a drive from where I live, but a cell phone/tablet can do wonders with a brief search. Then again if a dealer/shop couldn't produce one, doesnt say much good about their knowledge either. On an ecommerce site I just open a new tab and find the manual. Mostly I just don't shop for 2ch integrated amps, not much to find there in the first place.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I meant in terms of usefulness. If I'm going to be stuck with old and generally feature-poor 2ch gear I'd go separates but don't have to as I still have mine....
Call me old fashioned but to me stereo is the only way to listen to music at a domestic environment. A properly set-up and designed home theatre along with the few available surround encoded tracks offers a nice experience, but it is akin to going to a cinema. Not something you do all the time.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Call me old fashioned but to me stereo is the only way to listen to music at a domestic environment. A properly set-up and designed home theatre along with the few available surround encoded tracks offers a nice experience, but it is akin to going to a cinema. Not something you do all the time.

I gave up on the dedicated 2ch thing long ago, just not as good as a good multich setup for my purposes. My multich setups (several) are used far more than my one remaining 2ch setup. Mostly its in the speakers and subs, not the amp, in any case. They are perfectly capable in 2ch mode in any case.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I gave up on the dedicated 2ch thing long ago, just not as good as a good multich setup for my purposes. My multich setups (several) are used far more than my one remaining 2ch setup. Mostly its in the speakers and subs, not the amp, in any case. They are perfectly capable in 2ch mode in any case.
Where do you get your surround format tracks?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Where do you get your surround format tracks?
Aside from the obvious film soundtracks, I collect various dvd, sacd, bluray for multich content.....be nice if we could stream it without it being upmixed Atmos stuff....

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Aside from the obvious film soundtracks, I collect various dvd, sacd, bluray for multich content.....be nice if we could stream it without it being upmixed Atmos stuff....
I will find your music choice to be limited to what is available for your systems. I listen to what labels call the back catalogue, 60s to 90s.. Hardly any surround tracks/albums exists of them other than the re-mixed monsters.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I will find your music choice to be limited to what is available for your systems. I listen to what labels call the back catalogue, 60s to 90s.. Hardly any surround tracks/albums exists of them other than the re-mixed monsters.
Pickins are slim indeed. More available in so-called classical music, but not my thing for the most part.

ps I do upmix certain music and find it enjoyable, some I leave just for 2ch playback. It depends.

pps My multich collected content is still dwarfed by my 2 ch content on vinyl alone, and that is swamped by my 2 ch digital content. I'm old.

Last edited:

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the newly released Cambridge Evo is a good alternative

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/row/en/products/evo/evo-150

you can use the pre-out with something like a miniDSP 2*4 for subwoofer integration
(A) That has no speaker crossover (highpass) that I can discern from the manual, so color it STUPID like so many others (albeit probably very nice for two speakers, I like Cambridge's stuff)
(B) It has HDMI in so violates the OPs criteria

Shanman

Forum Donor
Alright, so after all this drivel- what's the current list of candidates?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I assume you actually mean highpass for the satellite speakers? Since most subs have a crossover built in..
Most subs merely provide a low pass filter, not a crossover (but many label it such)

kyle_neuron

What kind of peak voltage output are you looking for? Would you consider something that’s technically a ‘pro’ unit? There are a few options on that front that aren’t huge physically, sound good, and can have a simple rotary encoder or potentiometer connected via GPIO for volume control wherever you like.

A three-way Hypex module would also fit the bill, no?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pickins are slim indeed. More available in so-called classical music, but not my thing for the most part.

ps I do upmix certain music and find it enjoyable, some I leave just for 2ch playback. It depends.

pps My multich collected content is still dwarfed by my 2 ch content on vinyl alone, and that is swamped by my 2 ch digital content. I'm old.
Good for you but I am a bit of a purist. I want to hear the music as the artist intended and that is almost always in stereo.

Gurkerl

Alright, so after all this drivel- what's the current list of candidates?
From skim-reading through this thread, these are the ones that meet the requirements so far:

Elac Discovery DS-A0101-G
NAD D3045
Martin Logan Forte
Paradigm PW AMP
NAD M3 (used only)
Harman Citation Amp
Outlaw RR2160
Bluesound Powernode
Pioneer SX-N30 (used only)

Availability, however, varies wildly between these units.

outlookrt

if not already mentioned: Lyngdorf TDAI1120
extensive bass management, EQ, and room correction in a compact package.
found Room Perfect results superior to dirac from initial tests.
built in streaming and phono.
went from a minidsp SHD to one and much happier.
can use with a remote (additional cost). i purchased the remote as i like having vol control etc on hand without having to use a phone.

Shanman

Forum Donor
I can't help to keep thinking a subwoofer with high level inputs could really be something to consider for someone scouring for a 2.1 integrated with bass management, especially when the user is requiring high pass to the main stereo speakers. This would allow the required result of high pass and low pass control, but would be done via the subwoofer, not the integrated amp. This in turn would open up a much larger field of stereo integrated amps to pick from.

Take the Outlaw X12 for instance, it has high level inputs with pass-through to the loudspeakers. Bass management with HP to the speakers, all laid at the feet of the sub amp not the integrated.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
if not already mentioned: Lyngdorf TDAI1120
extensive bass management, EQ, and room correction in a compact package.
found Room Perfect results superior to dirac from initial tests.
built in streaming and phono.
went from a minidsp SHD to one and much happier.
can use with a remote (additional cost). i purchased the remote as i like having vol control etc on hand without having to use a phone.
Twice the budget!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good for you but I am a bit of a purist. I want to hear the music as the artist intended and that is almost always in stereo.

Meh. Nothing very pure about 2ch audio except that's what we got stuck with primarily due limitations of vinyl.
ps Is it truly artist's intent or more the rest of the people involved in the recording process?

Last edited:
Top Bottom