• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated stereo amplifier with bass-management?

JSmith

Master Contributor
The Citation Amp is based on the Axign chip.
Thanks for that info, appreciated. :)

Seems it's not available anyway until July. Still if it measures well this may be a great option for many.

JSmith

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
.....They are just as secretive with their tech info.

The Harman Amp's FCC:io has internal/external photos and the owners manual with basic specifications.

Internally it does not look like a product where raising the bar in audio specifications was a primary design goal.

The Harman product introduction sheet reads a lot like the Martin-Logan Forte and Paradigm P/W Amp sell sheets did. Integrators/Custom Home Installers are mentioned as a target market, not traditional audiophiles. This does not mean it will not sound or work well, but I would be surprised if it measured great.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
My NAD M3 has a hardware crossover that while not fully flexible in terms of micro adjustment does allow me to send the mains nothing below 40Hz in my case and then from the same preout section my two subs are sent the full signal to be adjusted at the sub. Not sure if the M3 would be a suitable recommendation, but for my 2.2 system it works quite well or perhaps I just don't know the difference. In either case I am content.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My NAD M3 has a hardware crossover that while not fully flexible in terms of micro adjustment does allow me to send the mains nothing below 40Hz in my case and then from the same preout section my two subs are sent the full signal to be adjusted at the sub. Not sure if the M3 would be a suitable recommendation, but for my 2.2 system it works quite well or perhaps I just don't know the difference. In either case I am content.
I cannot find a NAD M3, did you mean M33? If so that is four times the budget.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I cannot find a NAD M3, did you mean M33? If so that is four times the budget.
No, and my apology for adding noise to your thread. The M3 is discontinued, but it comes up used and is worth considering. It is an exceptional NAD design based on both subjective and objective reviews and it is built like a tank. I think it weighs about 65lbs. I shouldn't have polluted your thread mate, I did want to mention the M3 as NAD really did themselves proud with it and it can be found used for good prices, at least here in North America. I see it used from time to time. I actually bought mine used and have never regretted it. I actually use it as my headphone amplifier as I had some nice speaker tap cables made that allow me to drive headphones right from the speaker terminals.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No need to apologise. Your input is appreciated by me. Can you point me to a page where I can learn more of the NAD M3?

Brab

Hi

On the Emotiva speaker review thread a discussion has started on the availability of integrated stereo amplifier with bass-management and subwoofer output that will allow small speakers to be used with a subwoofer? Sometimes this is called a 2.1 setup.

The requirements are:
  1. A one unit solution as in "integrated"
  2. Good amplification suitable for Hi-Fi usage
  3. Physical volume control and not depending on an app to use it.
  4. At least one analogue input
  5. Integrated crossover to use with a subwoofer
  6. At least one analogue subwoofer output
  7. Adjustable subwoofer crossover frequency.
  8. Cost no more than US$1000 or thereabouts
  9. Available to the UK
Bonus features:
  1. Small size as they will be used with small speakers which are often used in confined spaces.
  2. Adjustable subwoofer crossover slope
  3. Wireless streaming
  4. Roon endpoint
Not acceptable are:
  1. An AVR
  2. Any internal video circuity
So far the following mentioned. All failed to satisfy the above criteria other than the ELAC (last item). I am trying to find out what else is out there.

People on the above referenced forum swear by this 2.1 solution, which has even a THX standard attached to it but other than an AVR I can see just one suitable integrated amplifier. What am I missing?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Pioneer SX-N30 (used only) plus sub with crossover.

jstownse

Bluesound recently updated the Powernode, although I think the 2i would be suitable too.

Integrated amp
80 wpc
Volume slider on top of unit, otherwise remote or app
Analog input
Crossover from 40-200
One sub out
900 usd

Streaming and roon ready.

Hopefully I've managed to stick to the specs of the borderline intolerable OP.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
BHopefully I've managed to stick to the specs of the borderline intolerable OP.
Do you mind explaining what you mean by that?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you. It looks like it is an all analogue unit.

I had a good lough reading the review though.

“Biamp” (uses selectable crossover frequencies of 40 Hz, 60 Hz, 80 Hz, or 100 Hz, if you want to drive the tweeter and midrange driver of a speaker with one of the power amplifiers, and the woofer with the other channel)
I wonder should we tell the "reviewer" what midrange he had in mind which can operate down to 100Hz :facepalm:

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pioneer SX-N30 (used only) plus sub with crossover.
Pioneer has similar named products. Do you mean this unit? I cannot see any mention of a high-pass filter anywhere. I appreciate if you guide me.

unexperienced

I think that you need in NAD C390DD (only used), according your budget.

Built on the basis of a FOUR-channel DAC with integrated DSP. Two DAC channels are used to output audio through the built-in Class D amplifiers, and the other two DAC channels work on two universal analog RCA outputs on the rear panel, which can be configured at will by the user for different tasks, for example, for biamping, if you add an additional power amplifier, you can set the filter cutoff frequencies per channel. Or as configurable outputs to subwoofers (stereo). The settings allow you to "stitch" the treble and bass bands in this case, both in volume and frequency. In fact, due to this architecture and a six-band filter, the device implements room correction. It can be adjusted to any acoustics and any room without further sorting of the components. Of the integrals of the NAD-s, only the next NAD M32 can do this. In the amplifier, you can insert the Bluesound BluOS streamer board into the MDC slot (optional) and it becomes an all-in-one device, respectively, with this implementation, the sound is transmitted internally in digital form over the I2S bus. The streamer is universal, in addition to all streaming services such as Tidal, Qobuz, Deezer, Spotify...etc. etc., accepts DSD and flacks from a computer or any other network storage. Allows you to completely abandon USB and all its problems, All settings are carried out simply and conveniently. Such equipment is now either not produced or it is very expensive. This amplifier was an order of magnitude ahead of time at the time of its release. And now, as we see everything digital around, and it is actually not outdated.

Gurkerl

Hey! Just wondering if you found any more options that fit your requirements?

It's baffling to see manufacturers offer amplifiers with alleged "sub outs" without making it clear if you can set a crossover or if just sends the full signal to speakers and subs.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

It's baffling to see manufacturers offer amplifiers with alleged "sub outs" without making it clear if you can set a crossover or if just sends the full signal to speakers and subs.
Nope. If you are willing to pay double my budget there are some options.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Usually looking at the manual will make that clear one way or the other....

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Usually looking at the manual will make that clear one way or the other....
When was the last time you had access to a manual at the dealer/shop or at an ecommerce site?

Top Bottom