• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated stereo amplifier with bass-management?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sonos Amp technically fits most of the bill. Amp, digital input, analog input, and streaming interface. It does have a sub output with a configurable crossover on both the sub and mains. Not very configurable - crossover frequency goes 50 to 110 Hz, phase, and level. Digital input is on HDMI, but they sell an optical to HDMI adapter that works decent.
Is it possible to use it without a smartphone or tablet?

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was writing in general, not particularly about units that fit my specs. It was perfectly normal to go to a consumer retail shop and buy a stereo receiver, amplifier, turntable, etc. since 70s until a decade ago.

Not writing in general???? Here is what you wrote, specifically:

...in short, Hi-Fi separates as we knew for half a century has disappeared for the mass market.

To my way of thinking this is a broad statement. You're looking for something that combines the basic features of integrated amps from a half century ago with capabilities that came into existence little more than half that long ago, and that are for the most part available only in components intended for use in modern home theater that didn't really exist a half century ago. And then concluding, on the basis that the exotic object that you mostly conjured up in your mind barely exists in reality, that Hi-Fi separates as we knew back then have disappeared. Huh?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not writing in general???? Here is what you wrote, specifically:

To my way of thinking this is a broad statement. You're looking for something that combines the basic features of integrated amps from a half century ago with capabilities that came into existence little more than half that long ago, and that are for the most part available only in components intended for use in modern home theater that didn't really exist a half century ago. And then concluding, on the basis that the exotic object that you mostly conjured up in your mind barely exists in reality, that Hi-Fi separates as we knew back then have disappeared. Huh?
Shall we stop this discussion as it’s obvious we are not understanding each other for whatever the reason? Besides, it is now well off-topic.

I iterate, I have not started this thread to discuss or seek audio advice. I’m asking the make/model of units that fit my specs. If you don’t know please do not hi-jack the thread. I’m equally at fault on that as I should have ignored off-topic posts. I replied in order not to be seen as an ignorant rude person.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting thread, have no interest in such devices so have only noticed they largely don't exist. Would assume shipping on the RR2160, if Outlaw will ship internationally (I think they will, tho) take it out of budget?

GDK

Forum Donor
The manual doesn’t suggest a high-pass filter on the power amplifiers to match the low-pass filter on the subwoofer out. Can you guide me where is that information?
Page 14 of the manual:

"Filters provide easy bi-amplification or subwoofer integration by adding the required filters to redirect bass frequencies to the subwoofer.

High Pass: Low pass signal up to 150 Hz is attenuated and over 150 Hz sent to the speakers. This is based from 2nd order Linkwitz-Riley Crossover Filter @150 Hz."

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
+1

You're one of the polite people here, the majority. I find the OP general demeanor, at least in this thread, rude. I think , I am saying aloud what many are thinking.
I disagree. The OP wants a one box solution that isn’t an AVR. He’s simply asking what else is out there and frustrated that people aren’t taking his requirements into account when giving responses.

MrPeabody

I have been honest throughout. I do not have a hidden agenda. I’m asking for information. I’m sorry that you felt disgusted reading my posts. However, I believe that in a civilised society, especially in a scientific forum we should all be allowed to think differently and agree to disagree.

Oh, I agree fully with that. What I absolutely do not agree with though, is that it should be tolerated for someone to do what you did. I'll try again to explain to you what you did. I mentioned that marketing departments make decisions and that this explains why the object you sought isn't a common thing. I did NOT say that their decisions were sound decisions. In your response, you intentionally made it seem as though I had defended marketing departments and their decisions. You positioned the success of Elon Musk in a way that would only have been an honest rebuttal if I had said that manufacturers were smart not to make more products like the one you conjured up. But I did not say anything like that. I did not say anything remotely close to saying that manufacturers and their product planners are smart or justified in not making more products like the one you sought. I did not say one single, solitary word that resembled a defense of their decisions. Not a single word. And this is why your response to what I wrote is not honest. Unfortunately, I think it pretty much goes without saying that you are not capable of understanding this thing that I wish that you were capable of understanding.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Page 14 of the manual:

"Filters provide easy bi-amplification or subwoofer integration by adding the required filters to redirect bass frequencies to the subwoofer.

High Pass: Low pass signal up to 150 Hz is attenuated and over 150 Hz sent to the speakers. This is based from 2nd order Linkwitz-Riley Crossover Filter @150 Hz."
I missed that. Thank you for pointing it to me.

Reactions: GDK

MrPeabody

I don’t. You asked a question. I answered.

You don't? The underlying assumption in what you wrote is that components are not flawed. This assumption underlies the reasoning you gave for why you think that all integrated amplifiers with subwoofer outputs apply high-pass filtering to the main stereo (speaker) outputs.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
if you can give up the requirement for a physical volume knob, I think the Sonos amp (already mentioned) and the powernode 2i meet many of the requirements. Remotes can be used with both (and I personally prefer remote volume adjustments to getting up and walking to the dial).

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it is an unusual stance for sure. Most people would soften up and share a little bit about why they dislike what they dislike. He wants a power amp that has a very specific set of preprocessing features that are suitable for audio only. The requirements are reasonable in an idealistic sense, but we do not live in an ideal world. He doesn't want any suggestions that stray from his rigid requirements, but it is difficult for anyone who is practically minded to refrain from suggesting more realistic alternatives.

I have put the OP on ignore. He is unreasonable, rude, playing games and wasting our time. I was the first to see it.

JSmith

Master Contributor

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I disagree. The OP wants a one box solution that isn’t an AVR. He’s simply asking what else is out there and frustrated that people aren’t taking his requirements into account when giving responses.

A solution to what problem? The OP isn't saying what his application is and is adamant that he doesn't need to tell us.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Not quite grasping the drama in this thread... OP is a little direct, however the requirements are not unusual. In fact I'd also like a unit that has everything the OP has listed plus some nice VU meters and a basic treble/bass adjustment.

I'm actually in the process of ordering and setting up a Pi4, SMSL SU-9 and a Hypex Ncore based amp system, but would be nice to just have it all in one product that actually performed well. Further this system won't be able to deal with a sub or have any room correction or eq options... seems like a backwards step.

JSmith

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Many thanks for this.

As my budget was US$1000 or thereabouts and an integrated amplifier with at least one analogue stereo input the only units in your list are as follows. Please correct me if I missed any.
  • Outlaw RR2160
  • Denon DRA-800H
  • Marantz NR-1200
Outlaw RR2160 fits the bill perfectly. Their manual is written as if for me and my specs. Glad to see that I wasn't searching an utopia.

Where did you read that there is a configurable high-pass for the main speakers for Denon DRA-800H and Marantz NR-1200? Their user manuals only mentions low-pass filter.

They're not individually configurable, but at least the Marantz will high pass the speakers and lowpass the subwoofers at the crossover you choose. I'm reasonably confident the Denon has implemented the same (anything else would be stupid, but who knows).

Meanwhile, bravo for your ingenuous subwoofer designs of the Inkognito series.

Thank you :)

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Most people would soften up and share a little bit about why they dislike what they dislike.
What a horrible expectation, "soften up"! Am I in interrogation and have to cave in and change my specs?

He doesn't want any suggestions that stray from his rigid requirements, but it is difficult for anyone who is practically minded to refrain from suggesting more realistic alternatives.

The specs are satisfied by a handful of products but satisfied nevertheless, hence they are realistic.

in order for him to be certain whether they do or not, for most of them he'll need to contact the manufacturers and try to get meaningful, reliable information about exactly how the "bass management" actually works.

I have no qualms to get in touch with the manufacturers. Wouldn't anyone do that? Why do they have a sales/support contact number email otherwise?

why he is averse to a good stereo power amp supplied stereo signals from a good A/V preprocessor that hasn't any power amplifiers. Whatever.
For the nth time; I am looking for an integrated amplifier. Is it a sin to want that?

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For the nth time; I am looking for an integrated amplifier. Is it a sin to want that?

Nothing wrong with wanting an integrated amp, but then there's really no good reason for most of them that I can think of. We used to just call them receivers without tuners, separates are where it's at! LOL. J/K.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks interesting... no info though on what class D amp board is used and no THD+N figure in their specs.

It's getting very annoying that manufacturers don't list test measurements... as if a company like this wouldn't have an analyser. Also very sick of seeing "reviews" that are nothing but words... where is the data?

JSmith
That's why we need people like Amir.

The Citation Amp is based on the Axign chip. They are just as secretive with their tech info.
https://www.axign.nl/

Top Bottom