• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Infinity RC263 Center Speaker Review

strummr

I've recently had 4 different centers in my home theater just in the past year - Paradigm CC-570 > Martin Logan 50XT > Revel C205 > Infinity RC263 (all matched with corresponding tower speakers), and I can say that there are very few differences that are easily discernible, in the 3 positions measured on a very long couch (also big treated room - 23 x27). Only one, IMO, exhibited some subjective dynamics: ML 50XT, and that's probably the worst measuring of the bunch - but the rest just sound sterile/flat. (again, it has been noted many times that good measurements doesn't mean, good to your ears subjectivity) The RC263 sounds about the same as the Revel, both exhibit small speaker dynamics, but I know they're neutral and fairly flat.

My next explorations will go to a larger Revel (C208?), and also the Emotiva C2+. My HT system is 7.4.4, Marantz SR7013, with Emotiva XPA-3 G3 running the front channels (l-c-r). Anyone else think the RC263 sounds neutral, but lacks dynamics for more subjective oomph for HT?

AVKS

I've recently had 4 different centers in my home theater just in the past year - Paradigm CC-570 > Martin Logan 50XT > Revel C205 > Infinity RC263 (all matched with corresponding tower speakers), and I can say that there are very few differences that are easily discernible, in the 3 positions measured on a very long couch (also big treated room - 23 x27). Only one, IMO, exhibited some subjective dynamics: ML 50XT, and that's probably the worst measuring of the bunch - but the rest just sound sterile/flat. (again, it has been noted many times that good measurements doesn't mean, good to your ears subjectivity) The RC263 sounds about the same as the Revel, both exhibit small speaker dynamics, but I know they're neutral and fairly flat.

My next explorations will go to a larger Revel (C208?), and also the Emotiva C2+. My HT system is 7.4.4, Marantz SR7013, with Emotiva XPA-3 G3 running the front channels (l-c-r). Anyone else think the RC263 sounds neutral, but lacks dynamics for more subjective oomph for HT?

I compared the C2 (non '+' version) and the RC263 head-to-head and while I liked the 263 and don't n't hesitate to recommend it, for my tastes it didn't really sound its best until higher volumes than I consistently listen at. The C2 was/is more satisfying at all volumes and that's why I kept it.

strummr

I compared the C2 (non '+' version) and the RC263 head-to-head and while I liked the 263 and don't n't hesitate to recommend it, for my tastes it didn't really sound its best until higher volumes than I consistently listen at. The C2 was/is more satisfying at all volumes and that's why I kept it.

Thanks for the share. The Emo's design does make it compelling, even for another try and sell (not so easy with some) exercise. ;) (paired with T2+ towers of course) Ultimately, I'd like a Revel 228be and C208 combo for the LCR. (these all sit next to my 'house sound' of choice: Aerial 10Ts with Purifi amps critical listening system)

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you test sound consistency across different seats? The design of the C1 seems like it would be better there but it will lack "oomph" by its smaller, sealed design.

Haint

I have theorized that the compounding effect of being mono coupled with the center channel track often being mixed very dry leads to a sterile and flat sound, doubly so if your room is treated. IME centers sound great when the mix includes ambient/environmental reverb effects, but pretty terrible when it's an untouched dead soundbooth recording.

AVKS

Did you test sound consistency across different seats? The design of the C1 seems like it would be better there but it will lack "oomph" by its smaller, sealed design.

They both sounded fine, and I continue to perceive no issues with the C2. MLP is 7.5 ft or so in front and the seating positions are as wide as 4 ft either way from MLP. It's been a few years since geometry class but if I'm remembering right that's a near-45° angle, or less if someone is scooted in, with no problems.

I'll note that I also have a wall running directly along the left side and the right side is open and still perceive no tonal or balance issues.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Thanks for the share. The Emo's design does make it compelling, even for another try and sell (not so easy with some) exercise. ;) (paired with T2+ towers of course) Ultimately, I'd like a Revel 228be and C208 combo for the LCR. (these all sit next to my 'house sound' of choice: Aerial 10Ts with Purifi amps critical listening system)
Emo is a parts assembler, if that.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
More than the voices might sound different to each person, of varying heights, seating positions, mood, etc? Nothing jumps out at me. I've a couch as the only seating choice and don't find it particularly different sitting at one end vs the other (vs my usual seat in the middle, 13 ft from speaker)...but the relation to other speakers change, too which likely has an effect as well as am currently watching something with more than just dialog at the moment....
Centers are inherent compromise. 3 way center is solution. Infinity is only reasonably priced 3 way.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I still consider Emotiva reasonably priced. $400 is stupid cheap for a design like the C2+.
My experience with Emo is unpleasant. I purchased the XPR 5. The line suddenly disappeared. No kidding. No explanation. Their playbook. They censor negative comments on their site. Google the XPR and you will see. I drove XPR to Franklin for repair (vacation). I was told at the dock, "XPR has a mind of it's own.". Expensive tornado paper weight. Amateur lightweights.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Centers are inherent compromise. 3 way center is solution. Infinity is only reasonably priced 3 way.

Not totally true! There's the Emotiva C2+, Monoprice THX-365C, and Polk LSiM 704c all at $400 or below. Hopefully we'll get reviews of them eventually. There's probably others out there too.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
During one of Harman's frequent >50% off sales the RC263 is in a price class of its own for 3-way centers. At msrp where it resides most of the time it's priced higher than some of its direct competitors.
I got mine on a Harman less than 50% sale....it was $150 shipped (last December?).

Top Bottom