• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

In your opinion, what is the 'gold standard' in subwoofers?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Rhythmik is very good, but I don't know if they are the gold standard. Then again maybe they are if you go with multiples.

I'd think done right the Thigpen rotary with response down to 1 hz would be. They did have limited output though that may have been solved by now.

View attachment 229239

I'm yet to encounter a mix with content below 10Hz though.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Off topic.

BTW, I am waiting for a Kef KC62 to be reviewed here by Amir. Yes it is small but so are the SVS micro3000 (Forgot the name) or even the SB1000 sealed and these are less expensive. I respect Kef but paying such a premium?

I also like
12-inch sealed and under 750$, four them each in a corner of the room, managed by a miniDSP 2*4.
Seems to be one of the best solution for most rooms... Seriously. Considering it , only issue is that, it would cost about 3/5 of the price of my entire current system .... :)
...may be worth it.

Peace

Willem

Major Contributor
I respect Kef but paying such a premium?
As I wrote, prioritizing small size is expensive. If size is not that much of an issue KEF also have the Kube12b that sells for about 650 euros (tax included) in the Netherlands. I find it good looking, but it is rather larger with a size of about 16 inch in all three dimensions.

OP
N

NewbieAudiophileExpert

As I wrote, prioritizing small size is expensive. If size is not that much of an issue KEF also have the Kube12b that sells for about 650 euros (tax included) in the Netherlands. I find it good looking, but it is rather larger with a size of about 16 inch in all three dimensions.
The KEF sub is expensive, but it does look good, and honestly, the features it possess are quite good, as are those in the SVS 3000 Micro...

Ofcourse, homemade dual 18 inch subwoofers powered by proper amplifiers are going to be better, but good luck running that past the wife, husband, or whoever else lives with you, that doesn't prioritise music and movies.

That's what I meant this thread to be for, just which 'cool' subwoofers are the best - KEF, SVS, REL, JL Audio, etc..

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
Yes it is horses for courses. If you have to spend e.g. $2000 per sq foot for an apartment, spending money for smaller sized sub may well be worth it, not to mention the esthetics (some of us spend big money on nice designer furniture as well). In the end for me too, even though with a very large listening room, invisible audio gear is a nice thing to strive for.
Some years ago, I was temporarily working and hence living in the most expensive part of Paris. The apartment that was made available to me was small but would have cost a small fortune to buy. Nearby furniture shops had a great range of ingenious compact furniture such as folding beds, small inbuilt kitchen units etc. appropriate for the small upmarket apartments in the area. These apartments were all pretty or even very expensive, and the compact furniture made sense for such small appartments. Compact audio gear is in the same category. If you live in a large US house in a location where land is cheap the equation is radically different.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
[/qutoe]Output drops like a rock above 20 Hz..[/quote]Ah!!! A TRUE SUBwoofer!

:D I always wanted one or two Cerwin Vega "Earthquake" Speakers. But like a lot of pro subwoofers they are tuned for maximum output that you can feel in your body so they don't go as deep as some home theater subs.... I probably wouldn't notice the lack of deep bass! :D :D :D

I actually have a pair of rather large homemade 15-inch subs (ported) and I can't remember exactly how I tuned them, but they also don't go down to 20Hz. And I never really "take full advantage" of them.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would think that integration is a separate issue. And in most rooms , best most linear and smooth (in term of frequency response bass) is obtained with multiple low frequency radiators/subwoofers.

I disagree with the "stereo" in bass below 80 Hz,. I have a subwoofer in front and another in the back side of my listening room ... about 1 meter behind the listening position, a couch. I can't hear it. People that were invited in my room including, golden-eared audiophile don't hear it either, i know it is anecdotal.. The scientific reality remains that the directional clues come from frequencies well above 100 Hz.

The answer is the one provided by @sweetchaos

Based on that the JTR Speakers Captivator 4000ULF-LP, is the Ultimate Subwoofer for any sane person with room space, it is the Gold Standard.

Peace.
I had a similar subwoofer set up - sort of a diagonal set up, one at the front of my room behind the main speakers and the other behind my listening sofa. I couldn’t really detect the location of the subs. Most surprising was how the sun behind me integrated. It wasn’t perfect, but still very good.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
O.T. A lot ...
more warning...
It is Off topic but ...

A size comparison:
CompareSizes_Kef_KC62_vs_SVS_micro3000_vs_SB_1000_1662560840.jpg

Keened

Forum Donor
I'm quite happy with my RSL speedwoofer (last gen). The mkII is a straight upgrade in all specs from what I understand so probably still excellent.

Don't like the auto-on though...

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One with an app so you don't get on the ground to screw with it.

G|force

Forum Donor
For SPL that will ruin a flimsy building construction and loosen all of the drywall seams and screws, thats easy. Powersoft solenoids run on 208-480V 3 phase but realistically speaking Genelec SAM subs.

G|force

Forum Donor
Powersoft M-force
It was in 2013 or so that I was invited to a demo at a heavily dampened practice studio in Burbank to check out these 'solenoid' subs.
I say solenoid because these transducers dont have a conventional voice coil.
No voice coil at all.

The distributor for Powersoft at the time presented 2 cabinets into this large practice space. The molded plastic 'trashcan lids' were 22 inches in diameter bolted to the 'solenoids'.
I was cautioned to not call them solenoids but they are, with a winding that is reversed at the ends of the coil. (--++++--)
In this demo, the facility could supply 208V. The data presented on the computer playing the music files and monitoring the power consumption, 208V 3 phase was drawing 30-40A per phase with smoothing.
No voice coil driven driver need apply based on size volume weight and cost.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Commercial subs are brutally limited by the need to package, store and ship. The gold standard is almost always going to be a DIY sub (or many of them) without size constraints, along with sophisticated bass management DSP.

YSC

Major Contributor
Imo it’s a sub which can extend my speaker to 30-40hz flat and it fits in the room without restricting my leg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Imo it’s a sub which can extend my speaker to 30-40hz flat and it fits in the room without restricting my leg
If you have speakers that need a partial sub perhaps :) 30hz is okay, but not really sub territory. Your leg being restricted not sure I want to know about....

YSC

Major Contributor
If you have speakers that need a partial sub perhaps :) 30hz is okay, but not really sub territory. Your leg being restricted not sure I want to know about....
;) you will never imagine how crowded a asian city home can be, when you have you chair hitting the wardorbe at the back, and in front of you is a space between a desk where you can squeeze in,the sub putting right next to the wall will have it's depth dictates how much space one can put your legs at that position, so in my case I got the 7040A which is only 205mm thick so I can more or less have some leg room, if I go for SVS or say, 7050C I wont be able to stretch the legs without kicking on the sub.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
;) you will never imagine how crowded a asian city home can be, when you have you chair hitting the wardorbe at the back, and in front of you is a space between a desk where you can squeeze in,the sub putting right next to the wall will have it's depth dictates how much space one can put your legs at that position, so in my case I got the 7040A which is only 205mm thick so I can more or less have some leg room, if I go for SVS or say, 7050C I wont be able to stretch the legs without kicking on the sub.
No, while spoiled in my own home for space here in the US, I have traveled extensively thru asia and mostly in years past as well. I think I get it and have always encouraged more americans to travel to experience what various people around the world consider "normal", usually a significant difference from those living in the US :). I'm not always able to imagine everyone's room/situation for setup unless specified in the original posting either....

Top Bottom