• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ifi Zen Dac, thoughts, reviews?

OP
V

vaseer

also i have an issue where when pausing any song (except in asio) the dac thumps out and thumps back in and i can hear the thump in headphones
happens in every application, if there isn't a continuous sound the dac cuts off then comes back with a thump when playing a song

Interesting - haven't had this issue either on windows or linux. U using this on a laptop?

AnikBanic

Interesting - haven't had this issue either on windows or linux. U using this on a laptop?

On a desktop, with the latest dac driver. My power settings are fine and it doesn't happen to my SMSL SU8.

What's weird, is that on ASIO the issue doesn't happen, i think because the dac is being used constantly on ASIO but when not on ASIO it thumps maybe due to a built in power saver thing?

the thump isn't constant e.g. when pausing a song and waiting 10 seconds, then pressing play i hear a thump. But if i were to pause the song and wait 5 seconds and then press play the thump isn't there

i'm using a USB 3.0 cable shielded 2m i don't think it's the cable because on ASIO it's fine

Last edited:
OP
V

vaseer

Out of curiosity, does the LED underneath the volume knob go off when it sits for more than 10 seconds? Just wondering if the BIOS cuts usb power when not used - BIOS power-savings? - I hear a soft thump in mine whenever my machine powers on/off, as the dac seems to detect different input formats as it switches the led from Green to Blue, then back to Green when boot is complete. Otherwise its always clean though.
I've my bios configured to keep the ports on all the time - even if machine is off.

AnikBanic

Out of curiosity, does the LED underneath the volume knob go off when it sits for more than 10 seconds? Just wondering if the BIOS cuts usb power when not used - BIOS power-savings? - I hear a soft thump in mine whenever my machine powers on/off, as the dac seems to detect different input formats as it switches the led from Green to Blue, then back to Green when boot is complete. Otherwise its always clean though.
I've my bios configured to keep the ports on all the time - even if machine is off.
LED stays lit, dac doesn't power off seems like the audio does (when pausing and resuming only) when not in asio

mateematy

today I finally found the K5Pro in my country. It costs 212 dollars and the Zen 156. Would you say that it’s worth the difference or I will be good with the Zen ? Planing to use it with the Adam T5v

Top Bottom