• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone recommendation for causal listening in office environment

Thelo80

I am looking for a closed back headphones for listening to music in a not very noisy office environment. IEMs are not an option because they make my tinnitus worse.
Currently I have a Sennheiser Hd1 (momentum 2.0) with eq via Qudelix 5k but I don't like how they sound with and without ANC. They are too boomy and fatiguing.
ANC is not necessary. I listen mainly jazz.
At home, I have the Hifiman Sundara, and I like how they sound with and without EQ.
Budget around $300-400.

Thanks

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Cloud Stinger Core wireless is really nice without the software installed in stereo mode with windows enhancements turned off. I got one for $30 open box on eBay and was really surprised how good they sounded.
Anchor makes several models with a warm-neutral sound, and new they're usually highly discounted. I have the Beyerdynamic DT700 also and it's comfortable, easy to drive, and no treble peak like the DT770 so it's smooth and well rounded. The DT177X is comfortable and easy to power also. The Hifiman Sundara was disappointing, even the Audivana I had for a month isn't anything I'd want to use. They just haven't gotten closed backs right yet.

OP
T

Thelo80

Thanks for the recommendations.
DT700: $249 and more classic design that could fit in an office environment
DCA Aeon: $429 (beyond the budget) and more audiophile design.
Sony MDR ZX110: $10 and classic design

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I used (and use) the inexpensive AKG K361 phones, about $85 street price. Very good sound, decent noise blocking, comfortable all day wear.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The Austrian Audio Hi-X60 is currently $280 at Thomann.
Screenshot_20231120-155544_Drive.png

Attachments

• Austrian Audio Hi-X60.pdf
    425.6 KB · Views: 96

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My Panasonic RP-HT121s aren't bad. Cheap as dirt, too.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For casual listening at the office, I'd go for Bose QC45.

Nothing beats the convenience of the wireless connection; ANC is not necessary you said, but it might come in very handy at times and you can always turn it off when you don't need it; they sound quite decent, and since Bose launched new products, they are on sale for $199 now.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
how is the build quality of the AKG K361?
I think it's good for what is essentially a $100 type of product. I am gentle with mine, but after three or so years of regular use, the leather earcups are fine, no cracking, and the rubbery pad at the top of the headband is still springy. I liked the sound better than the K371, which is about $50 more and uses basically the same materials. With the K371, you do get a standard cord pin type which is easier to replace than the proprietary AKG one on the 361. You get two cord lengths, plug adapter and a nice carry bag with either.

Top Bottom