• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iD4 & iD14 MK II - Audient updated their Audio Interfaces

vemgutar

Reading all of this, huge doubt if I can use an id14 mkII with my 55 ohms AKG 240mkII.

paQ

Reading all of this, huge doubt if I can use an id14 mkII with my 55 ohms AKG 240mkII.
I have the K271 MKII (55ohm as well) and I can use them without problems, the interface (id14 mkii) has power to spare and does not add audible distortion.

Anirudh

View attachment 241432

New Audient ID14MKII bought October 30, confirmed with ESS9822QPRO ADC and CIRRUS 43199 "unkown" DACs, I just hope that the substitute ICs are up to Original sp
Are there any difference in this unknown DAC and previous CS43198 DAC?
Primarily I want to buy this ID14 mkii to feed my headphone amplifier (Topping A30) for audio mixing and mastering and do some casual vocal recording.
Can you ir anyone tell me that should I buy this ID14 mkii or something else

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are there any difference in this unknown DAC and previous CS43198 DAC?
Primarily I want to buy this ID14 mkii to feed my headphone amplifier (Topping A30) for audio mixing and mastering and do some casual vocal recording.
Can you ir anyone tell me that should I buy this ID14 mkii or something else
I suggest that you watch Julian Krause's YT video review of the iD14 and iD4. He discusses this and provides measurements between the MKII versions and the prior versions. There is a significant difference / improvement.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I suggest that you watch Julian Krause's YT video review of the iD14 and iD4. He discusses this and provides measurements between the MKII versions and the prior versions. There is a significant difference / improvement.
The question was about the differences between the first and second iteration of the MkII though, not the MkI vs. the MkII...

Anirudh

The question was about the differences between the first and second iteration of the MkII though, not the MkI vs. the MkII...
Can you or anyone suggest to me which audio Interface should I buy to feed my headphone amplifier? For Mixing and Mastering.
I am in a dilemma after knowing that ID14 MkII's DAC chip is changed with an unknown chipset and I am not that concerned about the ADC. But for the DAC!

I have also mailed the Audient support team about this query and they reverted "Due to an agreement with the manufacturer, we're unable to disclose the current chipset within the ID range." which was absolutely not helpful.
I have also seen Julian Krause's both videos of Id4 MkII, Id14 MkII, and 1d44 MkII but there is no use for that because videos are made on the previous chipset which was good and ID44 MKii is out of my budget. Now I see that some interfaces have AKM setup with CS43198 and some have ESS setup with an unknown DAC. I am ready to buy an interface but after seeing this I am Confused.

I have compared all interfaces in this price range and my search always ends on ID14 MKii due to its outstanding performance.
Please Help!

teashea

The fact that the manufacturer does not want Audient to disclose the chip would indicate, from a business perspective, that the manufacturer does not want the public to know that its high end chip is in an inexpensive AI. I think that this is encouraging.

But. we will have to wait for Julian Krause or someone equally reliable to run tests on it.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Some post said that CS43199 may be mostly a custom CS43198 in a different package. So there may not be any significant differences at all.

Anyway, does anyone remember the A30Pro's input impedance? Several Topping amps have only 2 kOhms on the balanced side, which is a bit of a challenge when you interface isn't a great load driver on the monitor / line out side. From what I remember newer iD4s belong to that camp (Scarletts may struggle a bit, too). Sure, you can always keep output level down, after all there is more than enough dynamic range available, but still.

It may be advantageous to use an amp more geared towards unbalanced input, like an E50, and plug that into the Audient's headphone output (which obviously would have zero trouble driving the 2.5 kOhm input impedance this time around). In fact, just about any dynamic driver headphones would likely work fine even without such an external "afterburner". Power-hungry planars would be a different story, of course.

When all you're doing is mixing and mastering while using an external headphone amplifier with a volume control of its own (note: mixing on headphones is not considered reliable unless that is exactly the demographic you're going for), you do not need:
* Huge dynamic range. The ~110 dB provided by a good CS4272-based interface will be plenty. (UAA Volt 1, Tascam UA-2x2HR or similar. Or perhaps something more upmarket used, it's not like good DACs haven't been available for 15+ years now.)
* Super small latency. That is only relevant for overdubs / recording.
* Much in terms of inputs, if any at all.
* The lowest of output impedance or truly massive current driving abilities on the headphone out.

This expands the possibilities a lot.

Anirudh

Some post said that CS43199 may be mostly a custom CS43198 in a different package. So there may not be any significant differences at all.

Anyway, does anyone remember the A30Pro's input impedance? Several Topping amps have only 2 kOhms on the balanced side, which is a bit of a challenge when you interface isn't a great load driver on the monitor / line out side. From what I remember newer iD4s belong to that camp (Scarletts may struggle a bit, too). Sure, you can always keep output level down, after all there is more than enough dynamic range available, but still.

It may be advantageous to use an amp more geared towards unbalanced input, like an E50, and plug that into the Audient's headphone output (which obviously would have zero trouble driving the 2.5 kOhm input impedance this time around). In fact, just about any dynamic driver headphones would likely work fine even without such an external "afterburner". Power-hungry planars would be a different story, of course.

When all you're doing is mixing and mastering while using an external headphone amplifier with a volume control of its own (note: mixing on headphones is not considered reliable unless that is exactly the demographic you're going for), you do not need:
* Huge dynamic range. The ~110 dB provided by a good CS4272-based interface will be plenty. (UAA Volt 1, Tascam UA-2x2HR or similar. Or perhaps something more upmarket used, it's not like good DACs haven't been available for 15+ years now.)
* Super small latency. That is only relevant for overdubs / recording.
* Much in terms of inputs, if any at all.
* The lowest of output impedance or truly massive current driving abilities on the headphone out.

This expands the possibilities a lot.
Thank you so much for such a detailed answer!

okok

Why Amir don't measure these? can anyone send them to him, these very solid, and you got ADC too, more flexible

8ty8

Any updates on this?

Found this thread while researching some issues I am having.

After watching @Julian Krause 's review, I bought an Audient iD4 Mk2, two days ago, to power my DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm, but they still feel vastly underpowered (really low levels even at full power).

Without being able to measure, I am pretty certain that my 2023 iD4 Mk2 doesn't match the values from JK's video:

Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 5.32.52 PM.png

Thinking the issue was perhaps my cans, I purchased the 80 Ohm DT 770 Pro yesterday -- but I am still having the exact same issue with them. This is weird because you'd think the iD4 Mk2 would have no problem powering 80 Ohm cans...? especially looking at JK's values above.

Turning volume to max is still not enough on both the 250 and 80 Ohm DT 770 Pros, but my Ultrasone DJ 1 have no problems, however those are 32 Ohm cans.

Has anyone found anything on the CS43199 ?

Should I return my iD4 Mk2?

Is there any other usb-c interface on the market that would actually power the 250 Ohm DT 770 Pro without issue?

Last edited:

teashea

I have no problem with any of my high impedence headphones with my iD44 mkII.

Grooved

Has anyone found anything on the CS43199 ?

Should I return my ID4 Mk2?

If so, is there any other usb-c interface on the market that would actually power the 250 Ohm DT 770 Pro without issue?

Hi, just to be sure it could not be a lack of power from the USB port, did you try on other ports, and was it with a USB-C port (or USB-A) ?

And this problem should have no link with the CS43199, so forget about that

teashea

If you are using an type A to type C usb cable, you will have less power.

teashea

I also checked my iD4 mkII and it also has plenty of power for all of my high impedence headphones.
20230122_142853.jpg

jdoe

This is weird because you'd think the ID4 Mk2 would have no problem powering 80 Ohm cans...?
Both ID4 MK2 and ID14 MK2 (which I have) heavily depend on the power delivery of USB cable. Some folks even create custom cables, where USB power-lines and data-lines are separate (see some old ID14 mk2 review - USB power-lines are connected to the charger directly, but data-lines are keep intact). I would recommend to purchase USB cable, which is rated for high-current charge/transfer. For example - https://www.amazon.com/Baseus-Charing-Compatible-MacBook-Chromebook/dp/B08M5PSFWF (or just find some in your local stores).
What is even worse with new Audient devices - even sound quality specs, like SINAD, THD, etc... are affected by the power delivery. That is why audio interface with separate power-brick always more preferable, unless you do really travel with laptop only and there are no power-outlets around you.

teashea

Both ID4 MK2 and ID14 MK2 (which I have) heavily depend on the power delivery of USB cable. Some folks even create custom cables, where USB power-lines and data-lines are separate (see some old ID14 mk2 review - USB power-lines are connected to the charger directly, but data-lines are keep intact). I would recommend to purchase USB cable, which is rated for high-current charge/transfer. For example - https://www.amazon.com/Baseus-Charing-Compatible-MacBook-Chromebook/dp/B08M5PSFWF (or just find some in your local stores).
What is even worse with new Audient devices - even sound quality specs, like SINAD, THD, etc... are affected by the power delivery. That is why audio interface with separate power-brick always more preferable, unless you do really travel with laptop only and there are no power-outlets around you.
most excellent advice

aikofan

Any updates on this?

Found this thread while researching some issues I am having.

After watching Justin Krause's review, I bought an Audient ID4 MK2 to power my DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm, but they still feel underpowered (really low levels even at full power).
Just ruling this out, and sorry for asking, but this is with the Monitor Mix knob turned all the way to DAW right, if that’s what you’re listening to?

8ty8

Hi, just to be sure it could not be a lack of power from the USB port, did you try on other ports, and was it with a USB-C port (or USB-A) ?

And this problem should have no link with the CS43199, so forget about that

Yeah, I have the iD4 Mk2 connected directly via usb-c to my 2019 7,1 Mac Pro's usb-c port (on the apple i/o card on the back). I did try switching usb-c ports and connecting with a different usb-c cable (the one that came with the Audient) but still no bueno.

33920-60344-Mac-Pro-Rear-Top-IO-xl.jpg

What is even worse with new Audient devices - even sound quality specs, like SINAD, THD, etc... are affected by the power delivery.
Good point -- I am currently using THIS USB-C CABLE , but I did try the one that came with the Audient and still no luck.

That is why audio interface with separate power-brick always more preferable, unless you do really travel with laptop only and there are no power-outlets around you.

To your last point about power-bricked interfaces -- the funny part is, I also have a Motu 8Pre USB, which has a wall connection (I use this for multitracking out of my MPC into Logic), and even that interface is still too low (volume at max).

I chocked it up to the Motu being an older interface, with perhaps an older/weaker HP amp, or perhaps not able to drive high impedance cans (can't find much info on headphone output or impedance from Motu), so I purchased the Audient recently after watching JK's review of the iD4 Mk2. Then I found this thread, and it's kinda disheartening to read that Audient secretly swapped out some of the components and (potentially?) reduced the interface's quality...

Just ruling this out, and sorry for asking, but this is with the Monitor Mix knob turned all the way to DAW right, if that’s what you’re listening to?

Yes, that's correct, Monitor knob is set all the way to DAW, with volume at 100% (monitor LEDs at 0dB, showing red lights as if clipping), I also tried with both the headphone button on and off (makes no difference) and made sure that the *push to dim audio* function was not enabled.

Here are my specs:

2019 Mac Pro 7,1
macOS Ventura 13.1
Audient iD Firmware: v1.0.11
Audient iD Software: v4.3.13

my iD4 Mk2 is connected via usb-c directly to the usb-c port on the back of my 2019 Mac Pro. I don't have the 48v phantom switch on either (makes no difference if it's on or off anyway)

Lastly, my DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm sound fantastic when plugged into my MPC X @ 50% volume (going louder is possible, but it would hurt), so I know it's not the cans -- I just bought them this week. Thinking if I should return the Audient for maybe a UA Apollo Solo, but I don't really want to spend $500 if that will also give the same result as this Audient...

Is there something I am missing or doing wrong?

has anyone else had a similar experience with a 2023 Audient interface and DT 770 Pro 250s?

Is there a <$999 bus powered audio interface that will for sure work with high impedance cans without the need for an amp?

I really don't have any more room or outlets available for an amp, and I really only need a 2 chan for this, but will take into consideration 8 channel units to replace my Motu...

Last edited:
Top Bottom