• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ICEPower 125ASX2 Class D Amplifier Review

EB1000

Hi

Is there a good balanced buffer out there? Do you think when using the 125ASX2 in BTL with a balanced input, an input buffer will be beneficial? I could not find any balanced audio buffer board.

Thanks

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Was this shipped by CSA Systems?

Yes, CSA Systems. I didn't look at their feedback but it sure looks like you're right. I got a shipping notice and tracking number today, let's hope for the best. I'll report back here with the results. If they show up I'll probably order a couple more.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@MrPotatoHead you were right. Got my package today and it has 2 cheesy light up karaoke microphones in it. :mad:

MrPotatoHead

@MrPotatoHead you were right. Got my package today and it has 2 cheesy light up karaoke microphones in it. :mad:

Oh, no! I'm sorry to hear that. I'm a seller on Amazon and they are always emphasizing accuracy and responsiveness and quality but then companies like this remain. Thanks for the update. I'll delete the amp that's been sitting in my cart. Hope you get a good resolution.

Vidarje

Just a small question: is this simply switching noise? I just connected an oscilloscope to the output of the amp in BTL mode.

20201110_202256.jpg

IchAlex

Hello good people! (my first post )

Some questions/experiences on the ICEpower:
I have two BTL modules that I got from eBay and now converted to one stereo module. The other I’ll sell.
What bugs me is that both modules are missing a resistor (see picture). What’s that about?

Anyway, I converted it to stereo and it works as well. I also removed the RTX modules because as I understand they are only need for BTL mode. Do I need an input buffer still? I can’t hear a high frequency roll off that other people reported.

Regarding input impedance, can I just add a stepped attenuators (passive preamp) between preamp and this? What do I have to look out for?

I’d like to add a 12V trigger, does anybody have an idea how to jerry-rig one from a Topping d50s?
ive also found this ICExtend module but nearly no info on this online. Apparently it would add a signal sense function. Does anyone have an idea how complicated that is to implement?

The amp is replacing my Pioneer AVR and oh boy it’s night and day! great value for the money. If anybody has questions I’ll do my best to answer!

This is the last amp I’ll ever need (famous last words....)

97699E9F-3EA2-4F9F-BAFB-ACD9A67CA05E.jpeg

naviivan

I have two BTL modules that I got from eBay and now converted to one stereo module. The other I’ll sell.
What bugs me is that both modules are missing a resistor (see picture). What’s that about?

Anyway, I converted it to stereo and it works as well. I also removed the RTX modules because as I understand they are only need for BTL mode. Do I need an input buffer still? I can’t hear a high frequency roll off that other people reported.

Regarding input impedance, can I just add a stepped attenuators (passive preamp) between preamp and this? What do I have to look out for?

I’d like to add a 12V trigger, does anybody have an idea how to jerry-rig one from a Topping d50s?
ive also found this ICExtend module but nearly no info on this online. Apparently it would add a signal sense function. Does anyone have an idea how complicated that is to implement?

The amp is replacing my Pioneer AVR and oh boy it’s night and day! great value for the money. If anybody has questions I’ll do my best to answer!

View attachment 93516

I could be wrong but the ice extend modules could be for Other ice power modules (ASP?) the ASX series has everything on the one board.

The best volume control /pre i’ve tried with is module is the Topping L30.
Even the D50 dac directly sounded lighter.

i wouldn’t bother adding a passive pre with this as input impedance is so low. You can try and listen to it yourself.

If you love electronic bass or any bass heavy tracks, try and large gauge speaker cable. I use a 25mm /approx 4Awg. tinned copper wire as speaker cable.

IchAlex

I could be wrong but the ice extend modules could be for Other ice power modules (ASP?) the ASX series has everything on the one board.

The best volume control /pre i’ve tried with is module is the Topping L30.
Even the D50 dac directly sounded lighter.

i wouldn’t bother adding a passive pre with this as input impedance is so low. You can try and listen to it yourself.

If you love electronic bass or any bass heavy tracks, try and large gauge speaker cable. I use a 25mm /approx 4Awg. tinned copper wire as speaker cable.

I’m already using 4mm^2 wire and I’m not running long distances so that should be fine. What do you mean the d50 sounded lighter?

naviivan

I’m already using 4mm^2 wire and I’m not running long distances so that should be fine. What do you mean the d50 sounded lighter?

bass didn’t seem as deep and obvious. with the L30 it’s like there is a bass boost (in a good way)

IchAlex

But what about the blown (or actually unthinkable it was removed) resistor in my post #207 above? Also see that the resistors are not blue like on the other boards.

EB1000

View attachment 93516
The ebay modules are fake clones! They sound like garbage have very high fail rate. I've tried 2 of them. I only get my Icepowers from a certified dealer. Never had a problem with 9 modules built so far...

guy1846

Here are photos of the front and back. How can you tell if its a fake?
I have exactly the same problem. I used a copper spacer on 1 place to fix the bord, this was a bad choice. the home diff was down.
did you finaly repair the bord? I did, (2 smd 0 ohm ) on both sides of the PCB. it seems to work, BUT
measure the output with my scope i see +/- 485 Khz sinus 2volt ptp. is this normal?

kind regards
guy

Creeky

Forum Donor
Looks the same as the one I bought, based on a recommendation from someone else here who had also bought it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Finished-I...5ASX2-SE-Digital-power-amplifier/132638888405

No complaints. I really like it.

Like a couple of others, I also bought this unit from this link. On sale. Only black face plate left. Took it apart. Much nicer inside, cleaner, better smoother windings, than the examples shown online. After some "burn in" sounds terrific.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like a couple of others, I also bought this unit from this link. On sale. Only black face plate left. Took it apart. Much nicer inside, cleaner, better smoother windings, than the examples shown online. After some "burn in" sounds terrific.

Mine is still working great. I haven't had any problems with it. No desire to upgrade and replace it.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom