• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ICEPower 125ASX2 Class D Amplifier Review

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I am trying to purchase an assembled ICE125ASX2 ICEPower amps, but have run into difficulties with completing credi card payments to China based vendors. Would anyone know of a vendor that has these in stock in the USA? Thanks in advance!
These are based on 125ASX2:

mAMP
https://wyred4sound.com/products/mono/mamp

ST500 mk2
https://wyred4sound.com/products/power-amps/stereo/st-mkii-series

STI500v2
https://wyred4sound.com/products/integrated-amps/clearance/sti-v2-series-0

EB1000

Hi, I am trying to purchase an assembled ICE125ASX2 ICEPower amps, but have run into difficulties with completing credi card payments to China based vendors. Would anyone know of a vendor that has these in stock in the USA? Thanks in advance!

I'd avoid buying anything from Chinese vendors. 99% chance you'll get a nongenuine product. Get a genuine board from https://www.profusionplc.com/parts/icepower125asx2 and assembled it yourself. You can still buy a Chinese made case. Try Aliexpress or Ghent audio (a much expensive option).

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

HispanicPanic

I'm not good at interpreting most of the graphs that amirim posts...... How would this ICEpower compare against the Dayton Audio APA 150??

Still doing research on what would be best for this price range..... Due to the assembly required on these units i decided to pass on it in favor of an Allo + double...... until i found a refurbished dayton 150 for 100 bucks!! I think that'll hold me over until Amirim can test more decent options in this price range. He should definitely do the Allo & Emotiva Basx 100 next and revisit the dayton as it compares to other amps in this price range.

Unclevanya

I'm not good at interpreting most of the graphs that amirim posts...... How would this ICEpower compare against the Dayton Audio APA 150??

Still doing research on what would be best for this price range..... Due to the assembly required on these units i decided to pass on it in favor of an Allo + double...... until i found a refurbished dayton 150 for 100 bucks!! I think that'll hold me over until Amirim can test more decent options in this price range. He should definitely do the Allo & Emotiva Basx 100 next and revisit the dayton as it compares to other amps in this price range.

Dayton:
"Conclusions
The Dayton Audio APA 150 performs along the lines that we have sunk into in budget amplifiers. Lot of cheap power with cringe-worthy distortions and noise. Fortunately when it comes to non-linear distortions, our hearing is fairly poor so likely people are satisfied with the great value they are getting."

IcePower:
"Conclusions
The bottom of the amplifier market is comprised of single IC amplifiers. This class of products uses a full module with much elevated performance level. It is great to have a super efficient, cool and light amplifier that runs circles around the amplifier in mass market AVRs for not a lot of money.

Overall, I am happy to recommend the ICEPower ASX125 as a budget amplifier build."

Looking at the graphs the IcePower has 11db of additional SINAD, lower waste heat and lower power draw etc.

Feanor

Forum Donor
That's interesting, because Ghent Audio (China) still sells cases for the 200ASC plus 200AC, and Parts Express (USA) and other legitimate DIY supply retailers still sell the modules. So there is either a lot of inventory to clear out, or they are continuing to make the modules, but not promoting them.

The 200ASC and 200 AS seem to be well-regarded, and I already have a new Ghent case and wiring harnesses here in a remote region of Western Panama, so I might as well complete the kit for another $200 (the price for the two modules from Parts Express.)

Edit: ICEpower still has the 200ASC and 200AC listed on their website for sale [LINK], so they are obviously not "discontinued."
Yes, of today Parts Express is still listing the 200ASC (and also the 200AC), however the 200ASC is 'Out of Stock' and the their 'Due In' date has shifted several times -- looks like the supply of this module might have dried up (?). Also, PE doesn't list the 125ASX2.

Does anyone know of an alternate supplier for these ICEpower products to North American buyers?

(BTW, my efforts to build a pair or 200ASC-base monoblocks are becoming a fiasco. I ordered a pair from PE anticipating their resupply but that didn't happen so I cancelled my order. Meanwhile, however I ordered a pair of cases from Ghent Audio but this isn't going well; one case arrived in about 3.5 weeks but the other is apparently lost in the mail after 6 weeks travelling between China and Canada -- for whatever reason Ghent shipped the two units separately.)

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
one case arrived in about 3.5 weeks but the other is apparently lost in the mail after 6 weeks traveling between China and Canada -- for whatever reason Ghent shipped the two units separately.)
I have a Ghent mono case for my center channel on the way, and plan to order the three ICEpower modules on Wednesday - their latest availability date. I will be getting a 200ASC plus a 200AC for the stereo amp, and a 200ASC for the mono center channel amp.

I will post updates as info is available.

If the Canada postal service is anything like the U.S. Postal Service, they are pretty reliable - but when things do get lost, they can be a pain to deal with.

Feanor

Forum Donor
I have a Ghent mono case for my center channel on the way, and plan to order the three ICEpower modules on Wednesday - their latest availability date. I will be getting a 200ASC plus a 200AC for the stereo amp, and a 200ASC for the mono center channel amp.

I will post updates as info is available.

If the Canada postal service is anything like the U.S. Postal Service, they are pretty reliable - but when things do get lost, they can be a pain to deal with.
Canada Post is pretty reliable too, but the parcel seems to be lost moving from China Post and Canada Post -- CP says its on its way to Canada; CP acknowledges this but says it hasn't yet received it. I have posted a problem case with PayPal.

As for PE, humm: they say the 200ASP's are due this Wednesday, June 17th, but their 'Due In' date has changed several times in the last few weeks.

Feanor

Forum Donor
I'm considering building a stereo amp or monoblocks using a pair of 125ASX2 units in BTL mode, and I could use some advice from someone with some electronics expertise, (which I definitely lack).

The 125ASX2 date sheet illustrates the correct wiring for BTL but I'm confused on a few points -- please refer to the picture from the datasheet, below.
  • Is the little triangle with "-1" implying an external phase inverter device? Or something else"
  • Does the phrase "pulled low" mean that the BTL Sync connector ought to be connected as shown?
  • If one had a balance source, (preamp, whatever), would it be correct that the external phase inverter, (as above), would be unnecessary given the the balanced '-' signal is inverted?
The other problem, of course, is procurement. One fears that the items available from eBay or AliExpress are fake.
125ASX2 BTL mode wiring-2.jpg
on

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, of today Parts Express is still listing the 200ASC (and also the 200AC), however the 200ASC is 'Out of Stock' and the their 'Due In' date has shifted several times -- looks like the supply of this module might have dried up (?). Also, PE doesn't list the 125ASX2.

Does anyone know of an alternate supplier for these ICEpower products to North American buyers?

Not sure about Canada, but I'm pretty sure that PE is the exclusive ICEPower distributor in the US.

You'll probably have to wait until the virus blows over and supply chains get back to normal before they have any more in stock.

MenloBob

I'm considering building a stereo amp or monoblocks using a pair of 125ASX2 units in BTL mode, and I could use some advice from someone with some electronics expertise, (which I definitely lack).

The 125ASX2 date sheet illustrates the correct wiring for BTL but I'm confused on a few points -- please refer to the picture from the datasheet, below.
  • Is the little triangle with "-1" implying an external phase inverter device? Or something else"
  • Does the phrase "pulled low" mean that the BTL Sync connector ought to be connected as shown?
  • If one had a balance source, (preamp, whatever), would it be correct that the external phase inverter, (as above), would be unnecessary given the the balanced '-' signal is inverted?
The other problem, of course, is procurement. One fears that the items available from eBay or AliExpress are fake.View attachment 69200on
There are two Ground pins on the P102 6&7. Connect one to the audio source ground and the other looped back to the BTL sync pin.

You need a balanced signal for BTL mode. If you're using a single ended source, you'll need a buffer that outputs a balanced signal to generate the phase inverted input. I used Ghent audio RTX modules for this. https://www.ghentaudio.com/kit/rtx.html

Feanor

Forum Donor
There are two Ground pins on the P102 6&7. Connect one to the audio source ground and the other looped back to the BTL sync pin.

You need a balanced signal for BTL mode. If you're using a single ended source, you'll need a buffer that outputs a balanced signal to generate the phase inverted input. I used Ghent audio RTX modules for this. https://www.ghentaudio.com/kit/rtx.html
That's what I thought. The Ghent RTX is exactly the sort of "phase inverter" device I was imagining.

MenloBob

That's what I thought. The Ghent RTX is exactly the sort of "phase inverter" device I was imagining.

Here's what my wiring looks like with the RTX modules. You can see the green loop wire to tie BTL to ground.

IMG_1326.jpg

Feanor

Forum Donor
Here's what my wiring looks like with the RTX modules. You can see the green loop wire to tie BTL to ground.

View attachment 69389
That's very cool -- thanks.

It so happens I've abandoned the thought of monoblock 125ASX2's for the time being. Parts Express has 200ASC's back in stock and I've order a pair. They have much less power than the former but should be adequate for my speakers and room

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It so happens I've abandoned the thought of monoblock 125ASX2's for the time being. Parts Express has 200ASC's back in stock and I've order a pair. They have much less power than the former but should be adequate for my speakers and room

The modules showed up today after delivery from ICEpower to PartsExpress was pushed back a couple of times. So I ordered mine today as well - two 200ASC's, two auto on loops, and one 200AC hanger amp for the Ghent XLR stereo case, and the center channel will be a Ghent monoblock case.
If the earlier 200/300ASC modules were good enough for the likes of Jeff Rowland, Bel Canto and Cary i much more expensive amplifiers, the latest versions should be good enough for me.

Last edited:

Feanor

Forum Donor
[QUOTE="Feanor, post: 432641, member: 6530"It so happens I've abandoned the thought of monoblock 125ASX2's for the time being. Parts Express has 200ASC's back in stock and I've order a pair. They have much less power than the former but should be adequate for my speakers and room

The modules showed up today after delivery from ICEpower to PartsExpress was pushed back a couple of times. So I ordered mine today as well - two 200ASC's, two auto on loops, and one 200AC hanger amp for the Ghent XLR stereo case, and the center channel will be a Ghent monoblock case.
If the earlier 200/300ASC modules were good enough for the likes of Jeff Rowland, Bel Canto and Cary i much more expensive amplifiers, the latest versions should be good enough for me.[/QUOTE]
I'm waiting for Parts Express to deliver; will probably be 2-3 weeks given it cross-border and Covid season.

I'm not thrilled by Ghent Audio at the moment. They mailed two 200ASC mono cases on May 9 as separate packages -- don't know why two packages but what the heck. One arrived on May 29; I'm still waiting for the other which is apparently lost in limbo between China and Canada. I filed a complaint with PayPal a few days ago but no response from Ghent.

The case that did arrive from Ghent doesn't look like the one pictured on the website. I emailed Ghent around June 1 mentioning it didn't look right but not response so far. After quite some study I figured out that the 200ASC will probably fit without drilling holes, but the grounding spots around the correct holes didn't have the anodizing remove and wouldn't conduct to ground. I will have to scratch it away before mounting the amp module.

-- My message: don't expect perfection from Ghent just now.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
-- My message: don't expect perfection from Ghent just now.

I don't expect perfection, but I also consider the effects of the global coronavirus pandemic on businesses. I probably won't receive my second Ghent case - the mono one - for a couple of months. If a grounding point needs a bit of scraping or sanding to work properly, I can do that - especially considering the otherwise excellent quality of the cases for such a reasonable price.

Top Bottom