• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

I eqed the sub-bass region on a 5" speaker without a sub (?) (LSR305)

Perhaps it is stupid but in the absence of a subwoofer I have equalized the lack of sub-bass on these speakers and the result is more than decent. I've gained a lot more presence in that region and it makes me wonder if even a subwoofer is necessary. It doesn't sound distorted either. Am I doing something silly? Thank you.

escape2

To do this, I'm guessing you must have cut a ton of gain from all the other regions. If, after this, the speaker is still getting loud enough for your needs, then I don't see a problem.

OP
D
Thread Starter #3
To do this, I'm guessing you must have cut a ton of gain from all the other regions. If, after this, the speaker is still getting loud enough for your needs, then I don't see a problem.
Yes, I did it by hear. I will do a proper eq when I have a microphone. It surprises me because nobody talks about it. Even in REW you see the option to no touch that region if you dont have a bigger speaker or a subwoofer
Sin título.png

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
305p has no meaningful output below 40hz and EQ cannot fix that. You can apply some boost of course if you play very quietly, but if you are applying 20dB of boost you are limiting yourself to probably below 70dB playback without serious distortion problems. Too quiet for me but if you're happy with that it's fine.

OP
D
Thread Starter #5
305p has no meaningful output below 40hz and EQ cannot fix that. You can apply some boost of course if you play very quietly, but if you are applying 20dB of boost you are limiting yourself to probably below 70dB playback without serious distortion problems. Too quiet for me but if you're happy with that it's fine.
I'm very surprised too, but I hear a great 30hz bass extension with no problem. We will see in the future if an EQ with a microphone will be good enough not to buy a sub.

Top Bottom