• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I eqed the sub-bass region on a 5" speaker without a sub (?) (LSR305)

Deluxillo

Perhaps it is stupid but in the absence of a subwoofer I have equalized the lack of sub-bass on these speakers and the result is more than decent. I've gained a lot more presence in that region and it makes me wonder if even a subwoofer is necessary. It doesn't sound distorted either. Am I doing something silly? Thank you.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To do this, I'm guessing you must have cut a ton of gain from all the other regions. If, after this, the speaker is still getting loud enough for your needs, then I don't see a problem.

OP
D

Deluxillo

To do this, I'm guessing you must have cut a ton of gain from all the other regions. If, after this, the speaker is still getting loud enough for your needs, then I don't see a problem.

Yes, I did it by hear. I will do a proper eq when I have a microphone. It surprises me because nobody talks about it. Even in REW you see the option to no touch that region if you dont have a bigger speaker or a subwoofer
Sin título.png

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
305p has no meaningful output below 40hz and EQ cannot fix that. You can apply some boost of course if you play very quietly, but if you are applying 20dB of boost you are limiting yourself to probably below 70dB playback without serious distortion problems. Too quiet for me but if you're happy with that it's fine.

OP
D

Deluxillo

305p has no meaningful output below 40hz and EQ cannot fix that. You can apply some boost of course if you play very quietly, but if you are applying 20dB of boost you are limiting yourself to probably below 70dB playback without serious distortion problems. Too quiet for me but if you're happy with that it's fine.
I'm very surprised too, but I hear a great 30hz bass extension with no problem. We will see in the future if an EQ with a microphone will be good enough not to buy a sub.

Reactions: 617

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Define "great 30hz" extension....how did you measure?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
By hear and comparing it with a good eqed headphone. As I said I dont have a microphone to test anything.

Only so meaningful then. I have a pair and would just use a sub.

OP
D

Deluxillo

I did this EQ, Var smoothing. Sounds Great!!

But indeed, the volume is too low. If a buy an amp, and produce more volume, will I damage the speakers or get some distorsions?

MqhpaEi.png

Seems like a great subtitute to a subwoofer for <30hz

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
305p has no meaningful output below 40hz and EQ cannot fix that.

Mine (MkII version) seem to go a little lower.

With and without EQ, 1/6 smoothing

1664923769432.png

Attachments

• 1664923642385.png
    1664923642385.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 26

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you compared your eq'd 305s with a set with a sub you would immediately realize you have not done what you think you have. But it you like it, enjoy.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
If you compared your eq'd 305s with a set with a sub you would immediately realize you have not done what you think you have. But it you like it, enjoy.

I subtracted annoying boom in the room, and smoothed out the rest of the range a little, with no intention to increase to the low, as an experiment four years ago.

They would seem to me to have "meaningful" bass down to 31Hz, which is enough for the intended purpose, to play HDRadio in the garage.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
305p has no meaningful output below 40hz

you forgot about room gain.

Am I doing something silly?

Not at all. as others have said, you will have problems when playing loudly. also distorsion will be high in the boosted region. but it sure is better than having nothing there. did this for many years before buying a sub

OP
D

Deluxillo

you forgot about room gain.

Not at all. as others have said, you will have problems when playing loudly. also distorsion will be high in the boosted region. but it sure is better than having nothing there. did this for many years before buying a sub
Im not hearing distorsion using tonegenerator with very loud volume in the boosted hzs. If I buy an amp should everything be okay?

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Im not hearing distorsion using tonegenerator with very loud volume in the boosted hzs. If I buy an amp should everything be okay?

well, here: https://jblpro.com/products/lsr305

they say

Max Peak Input+23 dBu

which should be above your DAC, so you could aply come extra gain,

BUT I never heard of anybody using an amp for a powered speaker,

and you still will be limited by how much SPL the speaker can produce down there before it distorts or the port starts to make noises.

is it safe to try? I don't think so lol

Last edited:
OP
D

Deluxillo

you risk over excursion of the woofer > damage
you risk clipping the AMP > damage
Hmmm… it seems like best is to get a subwoofer then. Is there any sub recommended for a medium room house with these speakers? I find the LSR310 very expensive

Top Bottom