• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 55 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 397 86.1%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Since Amir did not expound on the gain setting options, it is either 12 dB (no buffer) or 28 dB (with the built-in buffer).

There are no other gain options but expect you will find Hypex OEMs that will eventually offer.:cool:
I wasn't sure since there are four jumpers there. As you say though, the doc only specs with or without buffer.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wasn't sure since there are four jumpers there. As you say though, the doc only specs with or without buffer.

I wondered as well, so checked with Hypex and they confirmed the settings.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To be fair, NCx500 should be updated in your chart to NCx500 Bufferless or low gain.

It looks like it gives partners the ability to experiment with buffer stages

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
To be fair, NCx500 should be updated in your chart to NCx500 Bufferless or low gain.

I'm going to send Amir a wire in a box and call it an 'ultra low gain amplifier'. OEM DIY Prototype assembly of course. That should get top of the SINAD chart.

Or even an attenuator (negative gain amplifier)- less noise on the output than the input! Or a buffer that switches to bypass mode when it senses a 1kHz tone. I say, game the system like Volkswagen, yeah! :)

Thunder22

It is ok, Amir knows am not doing enough business to label me a Manufacturer. My amplifier business is rather specialized and so only do a few units a year. I was contemplating doing a more mainstream offering just before Buckeye decided he would do. Since he is younger and needed some help, decided to focus my business on helping him and doing more customized amps myself. The last few customers have wanted custom cases or clipping indicators. I get requests for analog VU meters frequently but have not found a quality supplier.

While not sure if Buckeye will support this Hypex module, am sure others will. Since this is a common Hypex part with a readily available (Ghent) case, does not fit my business model, so do not plan to offer. Thanks for asking though!
I will stay tuned until you can find the right analogue VU meter supplier. Sounds awesome. No pun intended.

AudioKC

The efficiency of the amp and power output is incredible.

Hypex one of these companies that is making hifi accessible for all (among Topping, Dirac, Kef etc)

AudioKC

Could not wait for release from Buckey Amp :p

Thunder22

I'm going to send Amir a wire in a box and call it an 'ultra low gain amplifier'. OEM DIY Prototype assembly of course. That should get top of the SINAD chart.

Or even an attenuator (negative gain amplifier)- less noise on the output than the input! Or a buffer that switches to bypass mode when it senses a 1kHz tone. I say, game the system like Volkswagen, yeah! :)
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
It was dorky as heck but fun too. Lol... :D Hehehe @ may God have mercy on your soul. :D

AudioKC

Or even an attenuator (negative gain amplifier)- less noise on the output than the input! Or a buffer that switches to bypass mode when it senses a 1kHz tone. I say, game the system like Volkswagen, yeah!

You are one of those who’s wires produce gain? Like 12-27dB? :D:D

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
You must have been watching the Vikings.

dananski

Or a buffer that switches to bypass mode when it senses a 1kHz tone.
Ahh, clean, quiet censor tones, the dream of every home cinema enthusiast...

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Q: Is there a current Hypex-based fully-assembled & US-available unit that gives about 100 wpc for 8 ohm speakers? I'm contemplating a future purchase, but my speaker/room demands don't really need more than that, even allowing for headroom. I'd like to step up from the Class D ~50 wpc amps I am using now....attracted to the Buckeye or VSV lineups and functionality but seeking something in the $300 - 500 price range?
the BuckeyeNC252MP would suffice. I believe I paid around $500 for it.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MacCali

Major Contributor
I am guessing integrated amps will generally always have less performance, possibly not a factor please correct me.

But isn’t the NAD M23 still better than this amp? I realize price is drastically higher, but just wondering.

xaxxon

It's never a good idea to lie to US customs... Or any other countries' customs.

But, the product has NCV (no commercial value) when it is broken and non-functioning. You could state that on the customs form as it will only have value when repaired and returning to the US and import/sales taxes would have already been paid for that, first time around. Is that how it works for you guys in the US?
The problem is if it's lost in the mail. Now I don't have an amp that's serviceable to send to service.

So yeah, pretty sure it's not legal to say "well, it's broken so it's $0" Also, they've told me that I will be picking up a device that is lied about on return and will be potentially skipping out on import taxes or whatever when I get it.

> import/sales taxes would have already been paid

if that was true, the topping distributor wouldn't be lying about the value. They were clear they would be marking it as $20 to avoid fees.

Last edited:

xaxxon

My basement system has a MiniDSP SHD, Benchmark AHB2, and Revel 126Bes. I started at mid-gain but then realized that I don't really blast it.
I now use low gain. It is still plenty loud and protects against over-driving.

- Rich
I do the same thing - I set it so it never goes louder than I want. Got really confused when I had one of my ahb2's on a different setting than the other 4 though... WTF is wrong? Oh yeah.

Top Bottom