• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Humble hifi Plutone

Mivera

Major Contributor
I bet this speaker is outstanding for anyone looking for a world class 2 way monitor. Tony has been working on this one for a while, and I was looking forward to it's completion. Scan-Speak beryllium tweeter with no resistors in the signal path! And the Seas mid woofer has been tweaked to perfection by top Danish designer Troels Gravesen! I think I'm going to have to build this one, but I will be make much better cabinets.

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Plutone.html

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
What does it cost? I sure like the woodworking choice of material.

Whatever the cost of the parts are. I haven't priced out the build cost yet.

It's a free design these master designers are giving to the world here, so hard to go wrong.

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
Seems pretty reasonable.

Yeah it's not much more than the raw parts cost. So add cabinet cost and multiply by about 5-6 to get what a speaker of this caliber would retail for fully built.

I'm thinking of building a pair to take on tour to demo the Phison gear with. Nice and compact, and cover 90% of the audio range. Quality is more important than quantity when demoing electronics anyways. I'll go with the Dueland upgrade.

h.g.

Seems pretty reasonable.
A ported 2 way is a significantly compromised configuration that makes sense for a budget speaker using modestly priced drivers and crossover components. It makes little sense with very expensive drivers and passive crossover unless considerations of sound quality for the money are set aside.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
HG Hi, nice to see you here, re the above do you object mainly to the design or simply because of the somewhat limited scope of a two way loudspeaker?
Keith

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What's not to like? It's a recipe that has been done to perfection many times. It looks well cooked this time too.

h.g.

do you object mainly to the design or simply because of the somewhat limited scope of a two way loudspeaker?
There would only be an objection if maximising conventional sound quality for the price was a significant objective. It clearly wasn't for the designer and may well not be for the OP in which case fair enough. The driver and crossover cost without cabinets is €3416 which is well above the price where switching to 3 or 4 way speakers will increase conventional sound quality. If the price was a few hundred Euros then this would not be the case.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There would only be an objection if maximising conventional sound quality for the price was a significant objective. It clearly wasn't for the designer and may well not be for the OP in which case fair enough. The driver and crossover cost without cabinets is €3416 which is well above the price where switching to 3 or 4 way speakers will increase conventional sound quality. If the price was a few hundred Euros then this would not be the case.
Oh, somehow I thought it was €341, i.e. 1/10th the price :oops:. I agree for that price you can have properly done finished speakers.

My comment on "seems reasonable" was just on the price.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Well, we're a bit scant on real data for the 8" paper woofer used. Luckily SEAS has similar offerings, like the W22NY-001
w22ny001-curve.jpg

Cross to any 1" dome at 2.4k?? Oye.

cheers,

AJ

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor

You could always substitute the 3 XOver components with Bennic electrolytic caps and ferrie core coils. Then all you'll have to complain about is the raw driver cost. In that case tang band has some solutions for you.

Last edited:
OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
Oh, somehow I thought it was €341, i.e. 1/10th the price :oops:. I agree for that price you can have properly done finished speakers.

My comment on "seems reasonable" was just on the price.

$100 will get you properly done finished speakers as well.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Fairy dust
Perhaps!:)
I doubt any valid audio evidence exists for fairy dust caps, but human (yes, audiophiles too) perception relies on far more than audio, so they do have that going for them.
The question is really whether for 3700 Euro, better off axis, spectrally balanced sound power, less LF sound power/modal issues, less dynamic compression, etc, etc. sound could be had?
Or desirable!

cheers,

AJ

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
Perhaps!:)
I doubt any valid audio evidence exists for fairy dust caps, but human (yes, audiophiles too) perception relies on far more than audio, so they do have that going for them.
The question is really whether for 3700 Euro, better off axis, spectrally balanced sound power, less LF sound power/modal issues, less dynamic compression, etc, etc. sound could be had?
Or desirable!

cheers,

AJ

Well they would likely measure the same with Bennic caps and coils. So that would drop the price quite a bit if crossover parts don't matter.

Where this speaker shines is it uses world class drivers, with only 3 components in the signal path to achieve what it does. What they have done here is much harder to pull off with this level of drivers than most will understand who don't have decades of experience designing speakers for top European companies. Have you checked out Tony's archive section and seen some of the stuff he's done just for DIY fun? He considers this little bookshelf units his top achievement so far so I would take it seriously.

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/archive.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom