• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Humble hifi Plutone

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
$100 will get you properly done finished speakers as well.
Yes,, but you've budgeted around 3500 with these. No better finished or even kit options? Did you see what 60 degrees off axis looks like with a typical 8" driver at 2.4k?

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Well they would likely measure the same with Bennic caps and coils.
Maybe. But then where would the difference in "sound" come from if the soundwaves are identical?

So that would drop the price quite a bit if crossover parts don't matter.
Well, they do matter to a certain extent. No need for Reducto ad Absurdum when one can find more reasonably priced air core coils with sufficient DCR and film caps with ESR. However, the issues of directivity, sound power, modal interaction, compression, etc etc would remain, even with the 500 euro tweeter and 200 midbass.
Unless one doesn't notice any.

cheers,

AJ

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
Yes,, but you've budgeted around 3500 with these. No better finished or even kit options? Did you see what 60 degrees off axis looks like with a typical 8" driver at 2.4k?

Best to toe this speaker in I would say then.

Last edited:
OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
Maybe. But then where would the difference in "sound" come from if the soundwaves are identical?

Well, they do matter to a certain extent. No need for Reducto ad Absurdum when one can find more reasonably priced air core coils with sufficient DCR and film caps with ESR. However, the issues of directivity, sound power, modal interaction, compression, etc etc would remain, even with the 500 euro tweeter and 200 midbass.
Unless one doesn't notice any.

cheers,

AJ

Well the beauty with this design is there's only 3 components in the crossover. So it would be pretty easy to swap components and see if there's any difference in sound.

Here's some data on the driver:

http://www.jantzen-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/JA-8008-HMQ-Woofer.pdf

Last edited:
OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
From your link

7" radiating area maybe, but definitely an typical SEAS 8" driver. I have several :)

cheers,

AJ

I edited my comment. I thought it was a 7". Anyways's I've heard a lot of good sounding 8" 2 ways before.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Best to toe this speaker in I would say then.
Maybe, but you are still subject to the off axis holes in the mid-far field. The reflections will spectrally disambiguate from your onset direct response. There will also be much modal interaction below 500hz...and not in a good way because you've injected more sound power into the reverberate field than needed. So next thing you know we are talking about "treatments" and all sorts of nonsense, for a self created problem.

cheers,

AJ

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
Maybe, but you are still subject to the off axis holes in the mid-far field. The reflections will spectrally disambiguate from your onset direct response. There will also be much modal interaction below 500hz...and not in a good way because you've injected more sound power into the reverberate field than needed. So next thing you know we are talking about "treatments" and all sorts of nonsense, for a self created problem.

cheers,

AJ

The reason I decided to share this particular speaker is because it's a design 1000 people could find 1000 reasons why it wouldn't be that great, but if they were to listen to it, their opinion definitely wouldn't be the same. Both the designer of this driver, and this speaker, know all about what you are saying already. They have designed many speakers from massive 4 way super towers, to micro monitors of the highest quality.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
The reason I decided to share this particular speaker is because it's a design 1000 people could find 1000 reasons why it wouldn't be that great, but if they were to listen to it, their opinion definitely wouldn't be the same.
Blind or sighted? That would be a decent size sample for statistical significance.

Both the designer of this driver, and this speaker, know all about what you are saying already.
They're seers? ;)

They have designed many speakers from massive 4 way super towers, to micro monitors of the highest quality.
That's good to know, but we were discussing the merits of this particular design no?

cheers,

AJ

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
Blind or sighted? That would be a decent size sample for statistical significance.

They're seers? ;)

That's good to know, but we were discussing the merits of this particular design no?

cheers,

AJ

The designer is well aware of the pro's/con's of this type of design vs lets sat a 4-5 way super tower with 4" Scan-speak illuminator mids.

In fact the driver designer has built a speaker like this:

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Illuminator-5.htm

With experience building all kinds of speakers, in all sizes, using all the worlds best drivers, why would you suppose he would go out of his way to design something so compromised?

Last edited:

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Ive been building speakers for 35 yrs. I know who Troels and Tony are. The personalities are irrelevant. The specifics of the design in question is not.

With experience building all kinds of speakers, in all sizes, using all the worlds best drivers, why would you suppose he would go out of his way to design something so compromised?
It's aimed squarely at audiophiles, not my ilk. We weigh things with different importance. As you suggest, this may be the bees knees for some. It has all the right ingredients for the recursive recipe.
Put it in a pretty box and serve it up. :)

cheers

AJ

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
Ive been building speakers for 35 yrs. I know who Troels and Tony are. The personalities are irrelevant. The specifics of the design in question is not.

It's aimed squarely at audiophiles, not my ilk. We weigh things with different importance. As you suggest, this may be the bees knees for some. It has all the right ingredients for the recursive recipe.
Put it in a pretty box and serve it up. :)

cheers

AJ

I checked out your website, and I noticed you also make a nice 2 way monitor. If I do build this, and I happen to make it around to your area one day, I'll bring it by and we can compare them.

http://www.soundfieldaudio.net/monitor-2-a.html

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
AJ I would also be interested to hear your thoughts on speaker design, the 1812 looks spectacular.
Keith.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
I checked out your website, and I noticed you also make a nice 2 way monitor. If I do build this, and I happen to make it around to your area one day, I'll bring it by and we can compare them.

http://www.soundfieldaudio.net/monitor-2-a.html

Ok but for $3700 without cabs...I get to go full DSP with my own fancy woofer.:)
This is a game of preference. No absolute rights and wrongs here. I say again, the design you link may indeed be the bees knees for some. For others, not so much.

cheers

AJ

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
Ok but for $3700 without cabs...I get to go full DSP with my own fancy woofer.:)
This is a game of preference. No absolute rights and wrongs here. I say again, the design you link may indeed be the bees knees for some. For others, not so much.

cheers

AJ

I need a passive compact 2 way solution to demo the Phison gear on tour. So this is why I'm interested in this particular design.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
AJ I would also be interested to hear your thoughts on speaker design, the 1812 looks spectacular.
Keith.
Hi Keith

My thoughts on speaker design...can be found in my designs. Nothing new for anyone who reads Toole, Griesinger, Fincham, Geddes, Linkwitz, Salmi, JJ, etc.
Just a compilation of all. Controlled directivity, variably gradient bass, variable indirect radiation capability. For the front channels. Use the room, it's not the enemy.

cheers,

AJ

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Ah I see. Ok, now I'm really lost. That looks like a perfect DAC/Pre you would hook an active speaker to. I see no amps on your site, why do you need passive speakers?

Top Bottom