• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to TV->PC(Dirac)->DAC->Amp?

randomer

Hello there, I have been struggling with how to add DSP to my current setup. I was hoping to receive some help brainstorming.

Current Hardware:
LG CX TV
Minidsp 2x4HD
Umik1
Old Yamaha receiver RXV2500
PC
7.2 speakers

Plan:
I would like to get TV earc audio to PC where I would like to run Dirac correction via Voicemeeter Banana then output via multichannel DAC to an amp.

1) Any recommendations on how to get TV audio into the PC for 7.2 channel Dirac processing? Is someone using a similar setup? I am trying to avoid going with dedicated Dirac enabled receiver as I would like to use the second standalone license with my other setup.

2) Are there any benefits in terms of Dirac processing on a receiver vs a powerful PC?

Last edited:
OP
R

randomer

I would simply do this:
View attachment 248789

Only downside is that you have just eight outputs, so you'd have to send your two subs the same signal.
This topology would only allow me to DSP PC source, I am looking to DSP all sources connected to my TV(fire tv, chromecast). So the PC would essentially run Dirac and sit b/w TV and DAC/PowerAmp.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@randomer In addition to that, I just realized that the Flex can only accept Stereo input, not 7.1, so it wouldn't have worked in the first place.
I should've read the specs more carefully, my bad.

Reactions: MCH

ppataki

Major Contributor
I am just thinking out loud here:
you would somehow need to get the digital signal into the PC from your TV. This could be done either via an HDMI input on your PC (I doubt that the graphics card's HDMI out would support eARC but you can check that) or using an SPDIF input on your PC (USB pro audio interfaces have those so it shall be easy)
However; that multichannel signal coming in through HDMI or SPDIF should be decoded into PCM then somehow fed to Dirac - maybe Jriver can apply its DSP engine on an incoming live signal, but again something that needs to be checked
Also it needs to be checked if any of the above devices support multichannel encoded signal over HDMI or SPDIF and how to decode that to PCM

So all in all, it might work but it will be pretty cumbersome....

It would be way easier to use the PC as the source and use the TV as the monitor (I guess a looot of people here are doing that, including me)

MCH

Major Contributor

Is the objective to decode as you watch? (i.e. Netflix). In this case:

Post in thread 'How to experience 7.2.4 on Windows?' https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...xperience-7-2-4-on-windows.38188/post-1398093

Now, is it possible cavern decoding > Dirac standalone multichannel> multichannel USB dac? I have no idea but would be curious to know.

OP
R

randomer

hmm I was not thinking about Atmos but why not? Interestingly I found this device that convers eArc hdmi to LPCM hdmi

I suppose if I can find an hdmi capture or hdmi to usb converter to consume this on PC, it would be great.

If you're looking for a standalone Dirac Live unit to handle the audio I am selling a MiniDSP nanoAVR HD which is a 2x1 HDMI splitter which allows you to pass through HDMI and run Dirac Live correction on the audio and send the video on through.

It would not support eARC as far as I know and is HDMI 1.4 but I used a splitter on the HDMI so I only passed through audio to this and sent the video directly to my TV via HDMI.

Asking $200 shipped for the unit if you're interested.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about a kind of "reverse thinking" approach, if you have fast enough internet access and optical digital TV available within your PC?

You would please refer to my post here sharing "OLED 55-inch TV as PC monitor" in audio(-visual) system; all the audio signal can be treated by PC-based DSP audio system, and only the visual signal of TV program is monitored (through HDMI visual only connection) by OLED TV acting as PC screen monitor; of course full color 4K resolution can be easily achieved.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Octo Dac 8 Pro will allow this by accepting AES/EBU. feeding the digital stream via usb (in USB/AES mode). and then accepting the looped back dsp corrected signal again via usb from the PC into the Octo. Need something that will transform the spdif into AES/EBU to be accepted by the Octo, but Cardas makes a small tranformer that costs around $10 on ebay.

Davide

Motu Ultralite Mk5 has toslink input, that can be redirected in Dirac processor.

Top Bottom