• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

how to ship Mcintosh tube pre-amp, amplifier and clearaudio turntable?

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
I just inherited a Mcintosh tube pre-amp and tube amp from the early-mid 70s, as well as a Clearaudio Emotion SE turntable. The t/t is in original box but the amp/pre-amp are not in boxes. They need to get from Omaha, NE to Boston, MA in the US. Does anyone have suggestions about how to have these shipped safely? I suppose if I had to I could fly out there and get them! But would much rather have them shipped if possible. I appreciate any suggestions y'all might have!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd look up professional packers if you can't determine how to do it for yourself. I spent a lifetime in logistics and did a lot of packing so can do well for myself, but you still need to take certain precautions for transport and I'd particularly suggest your tt manual for such as that is likely most open to damage in transit. UPS stores can be fairly helpful and then you can use their insurance to best advantage I'd think.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just kind of a shot in the dark here. But I found this Omaha store for vintage gear saying they work with tubes. Now shipping is not their business, but maybe they would be good to contact about packing things up for you. I know nothing about this store.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can buy boxes from McIntosh for vintage gear. Too many glass faced McIntosh gear has been damaged in shipping, so this is one time where flying/renting a car does pay dividends.

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Foam packaging. Remove turntable platter, also tubes if they are exposed, and place them separately.

Edit: A lot of foam packaging. Tubes need a hard box if placed separately, or use the amp case.

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Foam packaging. Remove turntable platter, also tubes if they are exposed, and place them separately.

Edit: A lot of foam packaging. Tubes need a hard box if placed separately, or use the amp case.

Oh, since I have shipped tube amps without original packaging, this is the foam you need:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've shipped a lot of tube gear all around. But to give a group of detailed instructions I think is a bit much. And it sounds like the OP needs someone remotely to package and ship it for him. I know people who used UPS stores and that didn't always go well. One reason I suggested the vintage audio store is they almost surely have shipped such items. So they'll have some experience if they are willing to do packaging for you for a reasonable price. Also it might be worth it to pay for 2 day shipping as it likely will go on on a plane. It gets handled fewer times that way and that is a big plus.

I would definitely want double boxing. Lots can go wrong with someone not knowing tube gear. For instance they may not know tubes can be pulled out. Or things like the safer way to ship the McIntosh amps with those transformers (which are the heavy part) is pad the bottom of the box and put them in upside down. With a this side up sticker so it stays upside down assuming anyone pays attention to those. Of course if McIntosh does have boxes for vintage stuff that would likely be the best thing to do.

Top Bottom