• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to best pair HD6XX and Little Dot Mk II

brunobm

Just bought an HD6XX. My current setup at home is Clear MG + Topping DX3 Pro+, so thought I'd get a Little Dot Mk II since there's so much hype about that combo giving a different sound.

Wondering if it's something that works out of the box or if I need to buy specific replacement tubes? I read some references to this but didn't quite understand the terminology. And if so where I should go to find them? Zero experience with tube amps..

Reason I ask is because I also read that to run the HD6XX it needs to be in super high gain and it causes distortion.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When you believe you will hear tube magic I am sure you will.

It'll work just fine as it is. Tube rolling will bring even more pleasure and tube prices with magic properties can be sky high. It is all worth it in the end.
The device is all about distortion so I would not worry about the high gain setting.
It will leave the DX3 Pro+ in the dust.. way too analytic and low distortion to be enjoyable.

No problem driving HD6XX with it.
The clear MG will be less of a match :)

It's a hobby... when you like it you keep it... when you don't... buy the next best recommendation.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The tube amp will give you objectively worse sound. You might like it, many do. Many people also enjoy various substances to transform listening experience.

Many here, me included, think that if you want to try different things you get transparent gear and use EQ. That is a lot more precise and much, much cheaper way.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
get a Little Dot Mk II since there's so much hype about that combo giving a different sound.
It is due to frequency response changes caused by the tube amp mating to the transducer. That's the same as having a tone control and turning it to change the sound. Do not use amps to EQ your sound. Use a EQ/PEQ to change the sound.

OP
B

brunobm

It is due to frequency response changes caused by the tube amp mating to the transducer. That's the same as having a tone control and turning it to change the sound. Do not use amps to EQ your sound. Use a EQ/PEQ to change the sound.

I've never heard tube amps. How would I use EQ to match the sound coming from one?

And to that end, why would they still exist then lol?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

oleg87

I've never heard tube amps. How would I use EQ to match the sound coming from one?
A tube amp's typically high-ish output impedance will shift the frequency response following this curve, with the degree of change dependent on the output impedance, which I can't find a spec on for that particular amp. So, a peak around 100hz and a bit of extra treble will simulate that effect. Obviously this won't replicate the non-linearities of a tube amp.
index.php

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A tube amp's typically high-ish output impedance will shift the frequency response following this curve, with the degree of change dependent on the output impedance, which I can't find a spec on for that particular amp. So, a peak around 100hz and a bit of extra treble will simulate that effect. Obviously this won't replicate the non-linearities of a tube amp.
index.php
What about harmonics?

Top Bottom