• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How good are "Pure Direct" signal paths? Discussion on implementations, benefits, issues and thoughts.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I started this thread so as to not derail the Yamaha R-N803 review thread.

There's a lot of people who think the "direct", "pure direct", "CD direct", buttons guarantee a pure analog experience. Often, this is not the case. Sure, hopefully, the manufacturers will bypass an A/D-D/A stage if you are lucky, but often the poor little signal still has to stumble through a labyrinthine series of semiconductor switches and is still subject to either a digitally controlled VCA or stepped active attenuator and several gain/buffer stages before it gets to the power amplifier. It's hardly a pure path.

We see people saying things like this (no criticism intended):
I've marked pure analog lines with red, so that it is clearly seen the route is pure analog when DIRECT mode is chosen on RX-V583.

People also might draw nice direct lines on a signal path, but remember, that is merely a simple block diagram of the IC and shows nothing of the actual active componentry in the IC itself.

What should considered with these so called "pure" signal paths is the fact they are usually capacitively coupled before going into the IC and again at the output. So we have RC time constants all along the path and consequent non-linearities in the lowest octaves. They also use cmos bilateral or equivalent switches internally, with their associated R losses and "feature" one or more gain stages to offset those losses along with a pretty ordinary VCA (voltage controlled amplifier) and yet another buffer stage on the output of the IC. Phew.

Another problem with IC input switching is they often perform well at high levels (~2V) but also overload easily. Yamaha for instance have had a series of issues with their amplifiers overloading with high level inputs (>2V). I have a few in my collection with "CD direct" active buffer stages that overload with signals slightly above 2V. The input switch array ICs used also exhibit skyrocketing distortion at low levels. As much testing is done at high input levels, people are not aware of how bad some of these "soft" input switch/volume arrays actually are.

The only two benefits I see is are definite improvements in L/R channel tracking with digitally controlled volume implementations and fewer contact related issues down the track. Channel tracking is where a traditional pot cannot compete. Take the current Yamaha A-Sxxx series. They use a nice fat Alps motorized volume pot, but only use one gang to drive an A/D converter on the main uP, which in turn digitally controls the volume in the input switching IC! What a joke. All that money for an "audiophile" motorized dual gang Alps pot which may as well be an up/down button or a rotary encoder. But they know audiophiles love a proper knob. They are taking those audiophiles for fools.

Electronic input switching is also fragile. I have lost count of the number of failed/intermittent input multiplexing ICs I have had to source and replace. Often gear is written off due to bespoke parts not being available. (Yamaha I'm looking at you). They are also subject to way more transient events due to all the sources being plugged into them. In my opinion, these ICs are a poor choice. But they are extremely low cost and manufacturers can use last year's obsolete AVR ICs in this year's "audiophile" 2 channel offerings.

They know a single "pure direct" button will sell more products, regardless of how it is implemented. In reality, they have thrown the 2 channel pure/direct concept into the trash.

This is a 1982 Sansui AU-Dx series direct signal path. Notice there is not a single capacitor, active buffer or anything in the signal path from a line source (tuner/aux) right through the power amplifier to the speaker. This amplifier had a rated signal to noise of 110dB, for a 65wpc integrated amplifier, nearly 40 years ago.

1591483038462.png

The power stage is a high gain design with a FET front end, able to dispense with cap coupling and the consequent frequency response was specified as:
1591483271307.png

Power amplifier stage:
1591483201091.png

Harman Kardon pursued similar topologies through the 1980s with their fabulous PM-xxx range of amplifiers. Most "main direct" functions were truly straight from the input socket to a volume pot and into the power amplifier- nothing in between.

I have many vintage amplifiers with absolutely straight "pure/direct" connections from the input sockets to the main volume pot and directly into the power stage. Preamplifiers with a bypass function that routes a single source directly to the volume pot and a single buffer stage. Pretty much all of them exhibit a significantly lower noise floor, better frequency response and fewer non-linearities in general.

It seems at one end of the audiophile spectrum we have a March audio style power amp/buffer and direct source using digital attenuation or you have commercial offerings with dubious "direct" signal paths offering a very average journey for the fragile signal. The products of the past that combined both general approaches into one unit seem to have unfortunately disappeared in all but the absolute TOTL models.

What is your experiences and can you tell the difference?

levimax

Major Contributor
Thank you John, very interesting. I gave up on AVR's and the like after several high end models I had had un-repairable issues (due to no parts) after just a few years. I am now down the DIY rabbit hole but at least my motorized alps pot is in the signal path and I know what the signal path actually is.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Worse there aren't that many TOTL models with a true direct path either.

You never know with current products that you are getting a direct path.

With my Marantz 7701 in my video rig engaging Pure Direct also turns off the display, and kills analog video signals. Promises of big audiophile gains. You also can no longer adjust any of the DSP or do anything to alter the signal.

Jitter becomes measurably, but slightly worse. The noise floor goes up a tiny amount. So much for purity. Seems more like a user interface simulation of what Pure Direct would be like without the actual gains in performance.

digicidal

Major Contributor
I can understand (to a point) the reason for this being so rare in AVR's targeting mostly movie usage - although less so considering the higher "quality" (if you equate resolution and DR with quality at least) of those recordings.

It's like so many aspects of consumer products and services these days - is it more a case of the consumer not really caring about it, or is it a case of there not being another option available to them? It affects (infects?) almost everything - since mass production and bullet points are seemingly the premier criteria. I run into the same thing in my work all the time... why does my server OS now come with Candy Crush preinstalled? Obviously, because of cross-promotional incentives... but definitely not because any IT managers demanded it!

Even if there is a true direct path for audio in a device... how likely is that to resonate with all but the .01% of potential consumers? Especially if the easiest "bang for the buck" comes with the DSP and REQ aspects? I'd almost say that if purity of signal is important now - then you're talking about a standalone DAC - and only that. The days of integrateds or even pre/power separates with signal fidelity in mind, seem to be long gone and not likely to ever return, unfortunately.

I could accept that much easier if they could at least release devices that didn't ship with function-breaking bugs in their firmware and/or features completely missing altogether! It's getting to the point where just getting what you thought you were paying for is a miraculous occurrence. Sure there are DIY options... but not all of us are EE's and even fewer of us have the time and resources to build everything from scratch - even if the knowledge wasn't a problem.

scooter

Forum Donor
Thanks for your time and writeup John.
What I wanted to underline in my previous posts is that an input analog signal, despite of all electronic components it has to go through with losses and additional gain stages, still stays analog through its journey till the end. It bypasses usual D/A-A/D character of modern AVR designs.
IMHO, if you have a SOTA external DAC then there's some sense in to use it under Direct or Pure Direct modes. But then again as you have noted, nowadays Yamaha models have really unacceptable analog input level ranges, with maximum before the distortion often noted as 2.3 volts or so. Considering the fact that almost all DACs out there have nominal of 2 Vrms level, I'm afraid to guess under what level of stress an input signal circuits are.

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The days of integrateds or even pre/power separates with signal fidelity in mind, seem to be long gone and not likely to ever return, unfortunately.

You are most likely correct there. I think it's the products that have pretensions to high quality 2 channel, but are in essence just a stripped down AVR in disguise, that I don't like.

I can't say I blame the manufacturers for leveraging everything off their AVRs, but I do miss the ground-up 2 channel builds from the past where every part was selected for ultimate stereo performance, not just digging in the parts bins from discontinued AV products.

digicidal

Major Contributor
You are most likely correct there. I think it's the products that have pretensions to high quality 2 channel, but are in essence just a stripped down AVR in disguise, that I don't like.

I can't say I blame the manufacturers for leveraging everything off their AVRs, but I do miss the ground-up 2 channel builds from the past where every part was selected for ultimate stereo performance, not just digging in the parts bins from discontinued AV products.

I couldn't agree more. I really wish that at least a couple of them would attempt to differentiate themselves by going the opposite direction rather than just following the herd. Sure there are some, but even with many of those there are serious compromises made seemingly in order to save as little as a dollar or two in production.

That's one of the reasons I'm seriously considering getting a nice Luxman integrated in the near future. A bit pricier than I would like perhaps, and undoubtedly there are still a few compromises vs. their best classic designs. At least they seem to be one of the few companies (Bryston would be another IMO) that's interested in making consistent quality products - as opposed to simply slapping together a "new" version of something to drive sales. Paying 2-3 times as much, but getting something that is likely to last for a decade or longer in exchange is starting to look very compelling to me - even more when it's possible there won't be any comparable options at all eventually. :(

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Paying 2-3 times as much, but getting something that is likely to last for a decade or longer in exchange is starting to look very compelling to me - even more when it's possible there won't be any comparable options at all eventually.

You mentioned Lux.

Lux(man) has always been a brand you hold onto. My first after school job as a ~15yo was repairing electronics for a local pawnbroker and he had a new-ish (at the time) Luxman L-81 he didn't want to spend money on to repair. I think I worked a few afternoons a week for a number of weeks to buy that amplifier. It was a difficult repair for me and there were a few tears shed (according to my Dad), but I fixed it, and he still has it in his collection (although he says it's still technically 'my' amplifier). Now we have many other Luxman pieces and I have a ton of my own, but that L-81 has a special place in my heart, 40 years later.

Here's one (not my pic)
1591519191406.png

Accuphase is another brand like the Lux of old. Once you own them, and use them, they stay with you. They don't fail and you can guarantee Accuphase will have parts for your gear, no matter how old they are.

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
I wish there had been better penetration of the American market by those companies in the past. Being much closer to Japan, you had higher quality gear much earlier than we did here. Naturally, even the "budget" offerings by Hitachi, Teac, etc. from the 80's here were generally better quality than big box electronics now... but they were a far cry from the native Japanese offerings at the time.

What we did have locally were already arguably heading down the features over quality road. Sure there was McIntosh and a few others - but at prices that didn't make sense at all then, and make even less now IMO. Not to mention very questionable decisions regarding designs on higher end gear. Sure tubes are pretty and have the classic cache... but I'd rather they be the exception to the product line than a staple of it.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
@restorer-john

May I ask if it's possible to get a relatively economical good performing 'pure direct'-like stereo system by combining as a pre-amp a headphone amp such as the Schiit Heresy with the FR and FL separate analog direct amp inputs that were provided on a number of c2000 Marantz AVR such as the SR4300?

If not the SR4300, any recommendations for the power amp portion, provided the pre-amp headphone amp approach makes sense?

Your thoughts greatly appreciated!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
There's a lot of people who think the "direct", "pure direct", "CD direct", buttons guarantee a pure analog experience.
On the other hand, the idea of bypassing chunks of (more or less) unnecessary (or, at least, ephemeral) circuitry in the pursuit of a "cleaner signal path" is far from new. Indeed, Yamaha in particular has long had a thing for adding a bunch of bells and whistles to their components, plus a switch to turn 'em off! ;)

1591527942802.png

1591528080759.png

http://sportsbil.com/yamaha/ca-610ii-om.pdf

... and sometimes even switches whose operation was a little less 'ephemeral' ;)

1591528618119.png

PS I was and still am a fan of the amplifier(s) above, having owned that CA-610II since ca. 1978. The CA-800 was a rather more recent acquisition. :)

PPS Agree 100% re: Luxman.

Last edited:

Juhazi

Major Contributor
This video of "Yamaha A-S1100 tuning for Europeans " makes me sick. I only hope that the op-amps they are changing are on the "non-direct" signal path..

Amir's measurements of R-N803
index.php

simbloke

Forum Donor
Recently watched this about Accuphase. Such care taken over their products is a joy to see.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Lovely circuit schematic. I love hand drawn stuff. I studied architectural mechanical drafting before I studied electronics. So those hand drawn docs are attractive.
Joseph is a musician by trade, but dabbles rather seriously in hifi, too (EDIT: and photography -- film and digital). He's a good lad, he is. Got both cerebral hemispheres workin', you know?

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Lovely circuit schematic. I love hand drawn stuff. I studied architectural mechanical drafting before I studied electronics. So those hand drawn docs are attractive.

I love the vintage Sony and some of the other Japanese schematics. They are simply a work of art and so logically set out. Signal flow left to right, without fail. Left always above right. Power supplies always bottom right. All switch postitions marked and default settings outlined. All parts marked and performance tables/notes carefully placed.

I was looking at some current model Yamaha schematics yesterday , scratching my head with crap going everywhere. It made me want to throw the amplifier off my back deck and into the valley.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I love the vintage Sony and some of the other Japanese schematics. They are simply a work of art and so logically set out. Signal flow left to right, without fail. Left always above right. Power supplies always bottom right. All switch postitions marked and default settings outlined. All parts marked and performance tables/notes carefully placed.

I was looking at some current model Yamaha schematics yesterday , scratching my head with crap going everywhere. It made me want to throw the amplifier off my back deck and into the valley.
I made umpteeeN amounts of proper notes carefully crafted on the right top side of Sony schematics regarding everything that came along. They are simply the best example of good schematics. :D

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
didn't the Lab input on the nad amp measure better?

Top Bottom