• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How big is your listening room?

Did you submit your answers in the Google Form?

• Total voters

Todd k

Forum Donor
Come on members let’s give some more info on our listening rooms. Kemmler is trying so let’s give him some help.

Reed

IMG_3036.jpeg

IMG_3037.jpeg

IMG_3007.jpeg

Make the best of what you have. 10’x11’x10’ so problematic size. I move my chair in front of the bed or sit on the floor teenage style. 6.5’ equilateral LP when using the chair. Dirac in the C658 solves most of the mode problems. I listen at low or moderate levels. I have to have a functional guest room so I used a twin bed with a 4” platform. It’s part of the acoustic treatment . Standing the C658 in its side saved a lot of space. If you can clear the room out and pay attention to boundaries and your LP, you have a shot with a small room.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Come on members let’s give some more info on our listening rooms. Kemmler is trying so let’s give him some help.

I was happy to fill out the survey and I enjoy hearing about (and seeing photos of) other people's audio rooms.

However, I admit I'm unclear as to what use, in any practical terms, this data will be.

Are we looking for some sort of pattern? That would be doubtful - I'd think room sizes will be all over the map. And if there isn't a reliable pattern, what's the point?

I'm not asking those questions to denigrate the project at all...just that I'm having trouble understanding what anyone is seeking to find in the data and why.

jhenderson0107

The ability to place speakers away from the walls and larger room dimensions (~10,000cu ft) make my 2-channel rig sound better than my more-expensive 7.6.3 surround system, despite comparable RT60 and distance from speakers to MLP (9.5ft) in both rooms. Not as loud, but more 'realistic'.

OP
kemmler3D

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the support!

I admit I'm unclear as to what use, in any practical terms, this data will be.
We're at 95 responses on the form plus a few in the thread, so getting close to 100. I think if any real patterns are going to emerge, we will start to see them with this many responses.

I am not sure if any individual person can use this data on a practical level. After all, me knowing something about your room doesn't give me any new tools to fix my room.

However, I think it's of interest anyway. This is audio science review after all, and data gathering is one aspect of science.

It will also give us some perspective when giving advice to people and discussing room interactions.

I think it will also give us some perspective on how ASR members fit into the wider world of audio.

For example, so far almost half of respondents report adding acoustic treatment to their rooms. In the wider world, I'm sure it's WAY less than that.

I also think this could help steer speaker manufacturers in the right direction, believe it or not. If they are going on certain assumptions about their typical customers' room sizes that happen to be wrong, their designs will also be wrong. If we can give them data (even indirectly) about the sizes and characteristics of our rooms, then in theory they'll deliver more appealing products over time.

That's a bit aspirational, but I doubt there are many public data sets AT ALL about audiophiles' living spaces.

When I worked for a consumer audio company, I actually attempted to gather such data. It was difficult and I didn't get much that was useful. So in the spirit of ASR driving the industry via metrics and data, perhaps this will be of some use in that sense.

Anyway, even if it's totally useless, I think it's interesting and it didn't cost anyone money, so why not? :)

if there isn't a reliable pattern, what's the point?

Knowing that members' rooms have no discernable pattern would be interesting / useful information in and of itself, we'd know that we couldn't assume anything when giving advice.

However, spoiler alert, I do think there are some trends in the responses that are worth knowing about, or at least moderately interesting. I am hoping to do the analysis post this weekend, stay tuned!

NIN

I also think this could help steer speaker manufacturers in the right direction, believe it or not. If they are going on certain assumptions about their typical customers' room sizes that happen to be wrong, their designs will also be wrong. If we can give them data (even indirectly) about the sizes and characteristics of our rooms, then in theory they'll deliver more appealing products over time.

That's a bit aspirational, but I doubt there are many public data sets AT ALL about audiophiles' living spaces.

When I worked for a consumer audio company, I actually attempted to gather such data. It was difficult and I didn't get much that was useful. So in the spirit of ASR driving the industry via metrics and data, perhaps this will be of some use in that sense.

This is one thing I don't get. The speaker manufacture I have do clear suggestions on both the best placement in the room and toe-in for each model. They also have clear recommendations the best listening distance from each model. This should be standard for all speaker I think.

Ruhled

Maybe I missed it but I don't think we've seen the results of this?

OP
kemmler3D

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey @Ruhled apologies to everyone, I meant to get this done a while back, but got pulled into multiple week-long business trips and have had to spend the remaining free time I had building Elfa closet systems at my new place. As the prevalence of the acronym WAF evinces, we married-man audiophiles value marital harmony. :)

I will deliver an analysis of our rooms as soon as I get a chance. Thank you for y'alls patience.

benanders

Hey @Ruhled apologies to everyone, I meant to get this done a while back, but got pulled into multiple week-long business trips and have had to spend the remaining free time I had building Elfa closet systems at my new place. As the prevalence of the acronym WAF evinces, we married-man audiophiles value marital harmony. :)

I will deliver an analysis of our rooms as soon as I get a chance. Thank you for y'alls patience.

Heyya @kemmler3D glad you had to wait for me!
;)

Data just entered.

I too am skeptical of what might come of the included survey fields. Usually a question like this wants to tease out predictors for something, and that might require more data points than basic dimensions.
The best bit of advice I ever found in one place on how to design an experiment was to envision the graphic(s) needed to convey the [resulting publication’s] intent, and design from there. Analyses all have their particular assumptions, and if any aren’t met due to data set issues, results will be spurious.
All that grime outta the way since someone had to type it, neat idea!!

The obviously-all-purpose room’s 32x16x11’.
Speakers each measure 5” wide and a bit shy of 9’ tall.

IMG_5430.jpeg

IMG_5409.jpeg

Remember what @MattHooper said he wants out of his room’s characteristics?
Same here, except the opposite. :D

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Heyya @kemmler3D glad you had to wait for me!
;)

Data just entered.

I too am skeptical of what might come of the included survey fields. Usually a question like this wants to tease out predictors for something, and that might require more data points than basic dimensions.
The best bit of advice I ever found in one place on how to design an experiment was to envision the graphic(s) needed to convey the [resulting publication’s] intent, and design from there. Analyses all have their particular assumptions, and if any aren’t met due to data set issues, results will be spurious.
All that grime outta the way since someone had to type it, neat idea!!

The obviously-all-purpose room’s 32x16x11’.
Speakers each measure 5” wide and a bit shy of 9’ tall.

View attachment 319660

View attachment 319659

Remember what @MattHooper said he wants out of his room’s characteristics?
Same here, except the opposite. :D
That's a classy room.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
That's a classy room.

Indeed. And fun speakers. I fantasized about assembling an array of Gallos so it’s great to see someone who has actually done it.

JaccoW

I'm having some issues filling in the form because I live in an apartment that used to be a chapel. Now there is a split level kitchen and bedroom.

JohnnyAudio

We're luck I guess. We have a L shape house. Both wings are about 50 ft long and there is a pile of nice speakers at each end focused to the center dining area.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, since this seems to still be going and results haven't been posted yet I just added my data.

16x20' room with 11' ceilings. One entry door and another going into another room. This is my bindery space adjoining my pressroom so since it's a working space, and not big enough for work equipment and audio, compromises have been made but during the 30 years+ of refining the equipment, sound and treatment it works quite well. The DIY active XO 3 way speakers have 15" woofers, 5" mids and ribbon tweeters. The DIY sub has a 18" driver and an additional 12" SVS SB-1000 sub at opposite corners of the room.

Those big cabinets are angled down and toed in but difficult to tell from pic, despite that I'm still not truly directly on axis even in listening position but I choose drivers with wide dispersion so off axis is still quite good.
IMG_5338.JPG

rear wall diffusers

IMG_5337 2.JPG

Side wall diffusers and a bit of the cloud.

IMG_8133.jpg

listening position, big sub located on bottom left behind the guillotine. Front wall has diffusers similar to back wall now.

mmm.rta.22.jpg

edited to add the measurement

Last edited:

Mikig

my room is located in the cellar, it is 9 meters by 6 meters by 2.80 meters high.
Tile floor, carpet, and a lot of objects. I also have a lot of acoustic treatment cylinders.
It is located practically underground, walls that reach 50 centimeters in solid bricks. I can use the volume I want, at any time, day or night.
If I could make a wall and cut off a piece of it I would be very happy.
Sooner or later I will have to remove everything, paint and make choices about furniture and so on.
But it takes too long, I would never stay at home during the holidays, in the cellar, doing work... for now it stays that way!! another thing I would like is to use a bit of carpet.

Top Bottom