• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Sundara vs Sennheiser HD650 – Is there an ultimate conclusion?

isostasy

I've sold my Sundara and kept my HD 600. That says everything.
The Sennheiser veil is real... in the HD 650, not in the HD 600.
"Veil" is a bit strong imo. The HD650 is slightly deficient around 7-8kHz compared to the HD600. It's narrow but noticeable on some songs. This is very easily lifted with EQ.

johny_2000

Are there any reasons to buy Sundara these days?
I've owned the HD650 for over a decade now and they still work quite well (with pros and cons) but I was looking for an alternative.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
One can buy the Sundara for the same reason as buying any other headphone when you already own a HD650.
To buy something that is somewhat different from what you already own (an alternative).

Sund vs HD650.png

Sundara differs in comfort, fit and is a bit 'lighter' sounding than HD650 in the lows and has less 'body' and has a bit more 'sizzle' up top and a bit less clarity (a bit more 'relaxed' sound).
Both are good headphones. Sennheiser has better long term support.

Last edited:

johny_2000

Sennheiser has better long term support.
Well noted. Over the years I have purchased several sets of replacement ear pads and headband pads. The rest of them were literally indestructible, despite using so many plastic parts.

I have already tested several planar headphones such as Fiio FT5 and Moondrop Para. Both sounded brighter than the HD650, with expanded bass and treble range. But I can't say that I like the sound any more than I do from typical dynamic headphones. And also their build quality was problematic. If Sundara is just "one of them", I see no reason to take them.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Indeed just one of them...

Blorg

I have already tested several planar headphones such as Fiio FT5 and Moondrop Para. Both sounded brighter than the HD650, with expanded bass and treble range. But I can't say that I like the sound any more than I do from typical dynamic headphones. And also their build quality was problematic. If Sundara is just "one of them", I see no reason to take them.
Para is quite similar to the Sundara, but a bit more forward in the upper mids. Sundara is probably in between that and the HD650. I prefer both to the HD650 but if you didn't like the Para you'd be unlikely to like the Sundara. Both are more detailed and with much better soundstage and imaging but that comes at the expense of timbre/naturalness on the HD650.

Para is a bit of a weird headphone as it is extremely low impedance (8Ω) and also, extremely low sensitivity (101dB/V = 80dB/mW). This is in the category of hardest ever to drive headphones, dB/mW is lower than the spec Susvara or HE6SE and my subjective testing with low bass tones and a handheld SPL meter bears this out, it will actually cause low power sources to distort before they do with the HE6SEV2. It sort of needs a powerful amp and will distort on lower powered sources, if you listen loudly. Sundara is less likely to do this.

johny_2000

Thank you. The only thing I didn't like was the fit of the Para and the not very well thought out design. For example, ear pads without orientation marks, poorly adjustable headband strap, etc. The amplifier was powerful enough to bring them to the required volume.

I set all my headphones to 100dB SPL at 1kHz with a handheld SPL meter. This gives me the opportunity to listen to real music at a volume level of 70-90 dB depending on the track.

Now I play with Drop+DCA Aeon Open X and put Para aside.

Last edited:
Top Bottom