• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hi-fi Ethernet cable - does it help with network streamer?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm (sincerely) loving the fact that cables can generate so much enthusiasm and passion here!
Ironically, your bizarre flippancy is simply driving away business.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
You don't necessarily need UL here. But if anything bad happens it's very good insurance, because they will testify in court for you.
He’s not supplying cables with US plugs yet so I’d say anyone in the US would be using one at their own risk.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Taking suggestions that I am making outrageous claims within my ads into account, it should be noted that somebody in my introduction thread actually alluded to a suggestion that I should in fact be less ethical and more inclined to 'sell a story' to clients, otherwise I will 'go bust in a year like Steve Eddy'.
That advice was pretty obviously a wry observation on the nature of audiophoolery. Within ASR, there is no "damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't". The audio industry is configured in a way many of us find deplorable, but it is also reality. So it's true, if you want to make high margins selling cables, you probably have to sling some BS. If you sling BS, ASR will call you on it. So you can be a success with the Audiogon types selling cables, or you can justify the price scientifically over here, but probably not both, unless you've discovered something heretofore unknown (which I think is extremely unlikely but not altogether impossible).

VQR

I don't remember ever seeing a cable with braided signal or power wires at work in Tele/Data com.
Audiophile ISP: premium cables from server to home!

Introductory rate! $50,000 a month for lightning fast 8 Mbps!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Audiophile ISP: premium cables from server to home!

Introductory rate! $50,000 a month for lightning fast 8 Mbps!

Well, we didn't do households, that was more in the customer's domain.

Got to test and deploy 40gigabit ATM concentration and switching of OC3 lines at NEC, and later, 500(?)gigabit DWDM transmission at Nortel, after my initial landline Central Office Switching days.

NEC's ATOMNET Model 40 in the Abiko Plant far northwest of Tokyo in 1998

The job was to upgrade the the existing 10gig switches to 40gig without service interruption, which was impossible, but we got the downtime down to 15 seconds or so.

1697467149663.png

Don't remember any fancy cables, just things fit for purpose.

Why you shouldn't want to be a Firmware Engineer on such a project

1697468274328.png

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Not when your stress levels depend on the result it isn't. :eek:

That door didn't look cheap. I'm sure the pucker factor was quite high.

Does anyone know if they let the customer watch the show?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
at Nortel
I remember Northern Telecom. I made an eightsixteen-bagger in that stock, sold half, and the reminder was worth zero in a few years.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I remember Northern Telecom. I made an eight-bagger in that stock, sold half, and the reminder was worth zero in a few years.

A buddy of mine was working for them during that time, and ended up with a whole big pile of worthless stock and options. Was a total buzzkill for many.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I remember Northern Telecom. I made an eight-bagger in that stock, sold half, and the reminder was worth zero in a few years.

I had 5,000 worthless share options.

Got a nice 6 week trip to Hong Kong, though, to test some undersea routes.

Kinda cool to stand on the rocky beach behind the office and look at the big fiber cable running into the water that branched to Japan, Taiwan, Korea, Phillipines, Malaysia, etc.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
NEC could throw a good party, though.

Somehow our group rated seats right down in front.

I considered this my "Going Away" party, as I was leaving the next day.

Walked around the plant with 3 bottles of Jack Daniels clinking in my backpack that day.

"What's that noise?"

(unzips backpack)

"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Good idea!!!"

1697469922192.png

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That advice was pretty obviously a wry observation on the nature of audiophoolery. Within ASR, there is no "damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't". The audio industry is configured in a way many of us find deplorable, but it is also reality. So it's true, if you want to make high margins selling cables, you probably have to sling some BS. If you sling BS, ASR will call you on it. So you can be a success with the Audiogon types selling cables, or you can justify the price scientifically over here, but probably not both, unless you've discovered something heretofore unknown (which I think is extremely unlikely but not altogether impossible).
Agree.

There is probably more money in BS than not, in audio cables. At least in the quantities you can build by hand or even with light manufacturing.

However, there is very little money to be made in slinging BS on ASR.

Honestly... I've been tempted to try the BS angle myself. It's hard to pass up the possibility of 80-90% margins to be had with just a smattering of disingenuous marketing copy. And it's clear that the audience for that stuff is DEEPLY, RELIGIOUSLY, ANGRILY committed to, and demanding of said BS. They will simply not accept a life without it. They are horses being led to numerous sources of water and dying of thirst standing in water up to their knees, with grins on their horse faces.

So the ethical dilemma seems to evaporate from the heat coming off the pile of gold in front of you, I am sure.

But this whole site exists to combat that stuff. It won't play here.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on some of his comments in this thread, I'm rapidly forming the impression that @ChrisCables doesn't have a fully comprehensive understanding of how Ethernet networks function.
I keep hoping he's pulling our legs. But I can't figure out why he would.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Unless, of course, his mains cables aren't certified. If he's sent them in, they should be marked shouldn't they? @amirm I guess you could settle that when you have time.
You know, I already have I think two sets of other cables other well meaning companies have sent me. I have not tested them because the likely outcome is no difference but will take up my time, and create a bunch of arguments. So I am not ready to take on more.

G|force

Forum Donor
I keep hoping he's pulling our legs. But I can't figure out why he would.
While it's plain somebody is selling products under the OP's umbrella, I do wonder if the persona @ChrisCables is an AI bot scooping and disseminating our free opinions being shared here.
Tin foil hat? I have a custom Faraday helmet I seldom remove.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

G|force

Forum Donor
You know, I already have I think two sets of other cables other well meaning companies have sent me. I have not tested them because the likely outcome is no difference but will take up my time, and create a bunch of arguments. So I am not ready to take on more.
That's probably a safe bet. Maybe the next time a poor performing upscaler or other digital betterizer box get's tested, some digital interconnect/patch cables can be included as a sideshow in the review. :cool:

Top Bottom