• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ethernet cable to buy / choose

ronorn

I have a simple basic Ethernet cable Cat 8 , 49 ft length.

Connected to a good streamer : Lumin U2.

Is there any logic to replace the cable with another expensive one?
Like AudioQuest or similar?

Thanks.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @ronorn

Welcome to ASR. Please stay, it can be a bit arduous and often some of us (pleading guilty) at times are a bit .. curt... If you are a music lover and an audiophile, staying and learning here at ASR, will not only save you a lot of money but will result in you getting the best sound you could have ever for your heard earned money.

This said for Audio purposes, You don't even need a Cat 5e... Cat 3, an old type of cable you could find in building, would have worked and well... but Cat 3 is , now hard to find so ANY decent Cat 5 cable would do and that on much longer span... 100 meters/330 feet is what the standard recommend but I bet it would work on twice this distance .. Yes.
As matter of fact.. Gigabit Ethernet will run reliably on , yes, barbed wires. (Click Here)
Now, you mention that you have a "good" streamer, a Lumin and I would suppose, you paid some good money for it... since the least expensive Lumin, the D3 has a MSRP of $2700... I suggest to you an experiment: Acquire a Wiim Pro streamer about $150 at Amazon. Plug it in your system. Try to match the levels with your smartphone. Report to us...

Peace.

Last edited:

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
You've already wasted money, unfortunately! You don't need Cat8. Any of the Category 5 cables are fine for 100m at the bandwidth you require.

OP
R

ronorn

Hi @ronorn

Welcome to ASR. Please stay, it can be a bit arduous and often some of us (pleading guilty) at times are a bit .. curt... If you are a music lover and an audiophile, staying and learning here at ASR, will not only save you a lot of money but will result in you getting the best sound you could have ever for your heard earned money.

This said for Audio purposes, You don't even need a Cat 5e... Cat 3, an old type of cable you could find in building, would have worked and well... but Cat 45 is , now hard to find so ANY decent Cat 5 cable would do and that on much longer span... 100 meters/330 feet is what the standard recommend but I bet it would work on twice this distance .. Yes.
As matter of fact.. Gigabit Ethernet will run reliably on , yes, barbed wires. (Click Here)
Now you mention that you have a "good" streamer, a Lumin and I would suppose, you paid some good money for it... since the least expensive Lumin, the D3 has a MSRP of $2700... I suggest to you an experiment: Acquire a Wiim Pro streamer about $150 at Amazon. Plug it in your system. Try to match the levels with your smartphone. Report to us...

Peace.
Thanks for accepting me !
Also thank you for your ethernet explanation.
Regarding the Lumin streamer. I have the U2 (Not the Mini) , Replaced the bluesound NODE with the Lumin.
According to my ears. HUGE improvement. (even if technically not - I enjoy more ) that's what important to me.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
As long as you realise it is just placebo and no actual improvement.
Time, effort and money would be better spent with tangible ie real improvements in SQ.
Keith

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for accepting me !
Also thank you for your ethernet explanation.
Regarding the Lumin streamer. I have the U2 (Not the Mini) , Replaced the bluesound NODE with the Lumin.
According to my ears. HUGE improvement. (even if technically not - I enjoy more ) that's what important to me.
Hi

I would advise you to not believe in your ears so much. These are easily deceived. But it's that is what you want to believe ...
Perhaps I could suggest a different, more expensive, experiment..
Get the Audioquest Ethernet cable or whatever they suggest for that length... report to us.

Peace

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any logic to replace the cable with another expensive one?
Like AudioQuest or similar?
I have a short run of the AQ green cable. It was what the store had, and was not too expensive. I was in a hurry. AQ calls it Forest. I guess because it is green. I can safely report that it works. So it's got that going for it.

AQ also sell a more expensive Ethernet cable called Vodka. But by way of comparison, you can buy two cases of the real thing, Stolichnaya, for what they are asking. I don't usually give advice, but if it was me I'd buy the 24 bottles of Russian vodka, and with what's left over order an Amazon Basics cable.

Plus, after a few drinks, you'll start to hear that front to back depth you've always known was missing. :facepalm:

scrubb

Forum Donor
I would advise you to not believe in your ears so much. These are easily deceived. But it's that is what you want to believe ...
Perhaps I could suggest a different, more expensive, experiment..

"Your ears can deceive you. Don't trust them. Try listening again, only this time with ear plugs in."

star-wars-new-hope-obi-wan.gif

Top Bottom