• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

optical network

OP
R

ronorn

Welcome to ASR!

Questions:
What is network digital noise and what harm does it do?
What can optical do (for audio) that wifi can't?
Thanks.
My streamer doesn’t have WiFi.
Only Ethernet connection.

Some LUMIN models include an optical network port intended to provide complete isolation from network digital noise.

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks.
My streamer doesn’t have WiFi.
Only Ethernet connection.

Some LUMIN models include an optical network port intended to provide complete isolation from network digital noise.
All Ethernet switches have isolation transformers on every port.

The network card in your streamer should also have an isolation transformer.

This means that the devices are already electrically isolated from each other, so there is simply no need for optical connections.

-Matt-

The optical port is digital and so it will be perfectly possible for it to receive digital noise. (This is just a false marketing gimmick).

I guess it could potentially isolate the streamer from floating analogue voltages.
Edit: But as @audio_tony says, there is already protection against this.

Is it justified to upgrade from ethernet cable ?
15 Meters long.
No, not at all. Stick with ethernet.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have fiber optic running to your house and in the walls?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL with ultra low latency switch with audiophile price, surely consumer grade rooter adds a lot more latency trough CAT cables. My reference whose to fiber optical Toslink direct to WiFi trough rooter. Still this is only important to latency sensitive tasks.
Latency will come from buffers within the devices (Switches, routers, streamers etc). Not from the connections between them.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is either unnecessary upselling or an acknowledgement that their equipment is poorly designed, since extracting noiseless digital information is pretty trivial.

The good news here is that there should be no level-matching problem when switching digital ports with the same feed and these sorts of things can be blind-tested easily.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Is it justified to upgrade from ethernet cable ?
15 Meters long.

Thanks.

Answer is no. As has already been stated, ethernet already includes galvanic isolation - which, probably most importantly, eliminates any potential ground loop problems.

There may be some tiny capacitive coupling across the transformers for common mode noise, but simple devices in the circuits can filter that, and in any case it is insignificant compared with noise generated INSIDE the receiving device created by it's own digital circuits (which is also successfully eliminated by the careful design of any decent DAC - as we can easily see from the measurements performed on the output of DACs

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have fiber cable from the supplier to my home switch
If you want to run fiber to your Lumin should be fine. Doubtful you would notice any difference. Fiber makes sense for infustrcure with bandwidth up in the terabytes, lighter weight, less prone to interference but for home audio copper is more than sufficient. As long as you have everything fiber from the provider through the modem/ router in your house if you want to use fiber go for it.

Edit: the chance there is fiber from the streaming services through the entire network it takes to get to wherever your provider has laid fiber is pretty much zero. There's still copper somewhere along the line that signal is passing through.

Last edited:

-Matt-

LOL with ultra low latency switch with audiophile price, surely consumer grade rooter adds a lot more latency trough CAT cables. My reference whose to fiber optical Toslink direct to WiFi trough rooter. Still this is only important to latency sensitive tasks.
:facepalm:

Neither Toslink nor WiFi have anything to do with what the OP is asking.

Here is one of the Lumin devices with an optical network port (left of the ethernet):

1000025651.jpg

Here is what they say in the spec:
  • Optical Network:​

• Industry-standard Gigabit SFP
    • 1000Base-T Gigabit Ethernet
    • Adapter may be needed for your particular switch/cables
    • Use simultaneously with RJ45 (e.g. connect one to router and one to LUMIN L1 or NAS)

Cut the latency.
...and I can't see how latency can possibly have any impact on your music listening experience. (We are not talking about a difference of seconds for playback to start, but only a difference of nanoseconds, milliseconds at the very most).

Last edited:

Hayabusa

OP
R

ronorn

Here is one of the Lumin devices with an optical network port (left of the ethernet):

View attachment 349951

• Use simultaneously with RJ45 (e.g. connect one to router and one to LUMIN L1 or NAS)
I have the Lumin U2.

View attachment 349951

...and I can't see how latency can possibly have any impact on your music listening experience. (We are not talking about a difference of seconds for playback to start, but only a difference of nanoseconds, milliseconds at the very most).
Fiber maybe less noise?

Attachments

• IMG_9495.jpeg
    IMG_9495.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 21
Top Bottom