• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with vinyl ripping.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
With a pickup that goes higher than 20 kHz (Shibata or line cut needle) I agree. My old Van den Hul MC ONE Special and the new AT33PTG/II both are specified to 50 kHz, but there are not many which go that high.
You correct, but what LP's other than the obsolete CD4 has any musical info above 20k ?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the Korg DS-DAC-10R. The ADC is better than the DAC and the advantage is that the RIAA correction is done digitally and offers other curves besides RIAA.

It can also record in DSD if you prefer.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You correct, but what LP's other than the obsolete CD4 has any musical info above 20k ?
See the context of my answer. It's not about the music. It's easier for software to separate fast transients due to dust or scratches from music with a faster pickup if you sample with 96 kHz.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
See the context of my answer. It's not about the music. It's easier for software to separate fast transients due to dust or scratches from music with a faster pickup if you sample with 96 kHz.
Ah, ok understood. ;)

JP

Major Contributor
With a pickup that goes higher than 20 kHz (Shibata or line cut needle) I agree. My old Van den Hul MC ONE Special and the new AT33PTG/II both are specified to 50 kHz, but there are not many which go that high.

Many have no issue getting out to 30kHz or a bit beyond -5dB or so. Also important to note that the spectral content from a pop or tick is different than tracing a groove, and having that HF content does help with most de-clicking software. Pretty common to capture at 24/96 when there's going to be any post-processing.

I have been looking at the Rega 50th anniversary edition with external power supply and Exact 2 MM cartridge.

I can't find any frequency response plots of the Exact 2, but I know the original Exact wasn't anything to write home about. Approaching the money of that Rega I'd consider a good direct drive for the speed stability and reliability.

OP
Gerry609

Gerry609

Many have no issue getting out to 30kHz or a bit beyond -5dB or so. Also important to note that the spectral content from a pop or tick is different than tracing a groove, and having that HF content does help with most de-clicking software. Pretty common to capture at 24/96 when there's going to be any post-processing.

I can't find any frequency response plots of the Exact 2, but I know the original Exact wasn't anything to write home about. Approaching the money of that Rega I'd consider a good direct drive for the speed stability and reliability.
What would be a good direct drive?

JP

Major Contributor
Yes, for new, Technics. Vintage, there are a lot of choices.

SKBubba

AT-120XUSB and Vinyl Studio. No fuss, no muss, Bob's your uncle.

Top Bottom