• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UltraPro

Hi! I have the following setup:

- Windows 11 desktop PC: Motherboard Asus TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS D4 and soundcard Creative Sound Blaster Z SE. Also an optical Blu-ray drive and 1080p DLP projector.
- Yamaha receiver HTR-6130, connected to five speakers and a subwoofer. Creative sound card is connected to the receiver via Toslink.
- On the PC, for viewing movies, currently programs VLC and Leawo Blu-ray Player are installed. Additionally, the soundcard has it's own software, of which a picture is attached.

Now, is it possible to gain 5.1 surround audio with this setup, or am I in a situation where sound via HDMI would be much better, easier, or perhaps the only possible solution? I know that the sound card supports Dolby and DTS, and when you change the settings in the picture, the receiver reacts to that accordingly, displaying either a logo of Dolby or DTS, but alas, I have not ever been able to get 5.1 sound out, not even in the Windows' audio test. The receiver does not support sound via HDMI, even though it has three ports, since it's very old, so I'm prepared to buy a modern one if necessary. Yet to add, for the Creative sound card, Windows does not offer in it's settings an option for 5.1, only stereo, though the Creative software itself does seem to have enabled 5.1 sound.

Before making a hasty decision, I would just like to know, what is possible with this current setup, if anything, and if there any limitations needed to be known before purchasing an expensive new amp, likely related to the Windows enviroment. Do I need different applications, certain kind of HDMI cords or possibly anything else? The quality of sound is not the top priority, but to get some sort of acceptable surround sound out for movie watching either using a disc or watching via streaming service, so, compression is not an issue.

Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• Creative-hallintapaneeli.png
    Creative-hallintapaneeli.png
    122.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Usually with Toslink or HDMI the receiver takes care of the decoding so surround should be no problem. You may have to configure the soundcard to "passthrough" the raw data.

VLC can decode Dolby & DTS if you are using the soundcard's analog outputs.

The sound card may be downmixing. VLC or the Leawo software should be able to decode the surround if you are using the soundcard. You shouldn't need the soundcard driver/utility. With VLC I can play DTS on my laptop speakers (downmixed to stereo) or if I plug the HDMI into my AVR I get surround.

Toslink doesn't support the "HD" Blu-Ray formats so you might get a PCM stereo downmix.

The receiver does not support sound via HDMI, even though it has three ports,
That's odd. But I upgraded my 1st AVR because it didn't have HDMI at all

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In the case of the HDMI not having audio, I'd have to think either your sound output settings on the pc side or an input assignment on the avr.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
In the case of the HDMI not having audio, I'd have to think either your sound output settings on the pc side or an input assignment on the avr.
It appears this receiver is 15 years old and quite a basic model. It only does HDMI passthrough and that's it.

Top Bottom