• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SharinganUser

Hey everyone!! Been struggling with sub placement. I have an Arendal 1961v. Amazing sub. Used it to replace two tiny Polk psw111 subs. Needless to say big difference. But with both setups I only have bass at back of room on the platform chairs and near ZERO in the front row. With this bigger sub I have Better bass in back, but still almost nothing in front row. I have moved single sub in EVERY possible position in the room and this is the best so far. Will adding another sub still help? Think it will change the wait they interact with room or even just add more SPL so the front row can feel something?? Or is it just cause they are on concrete and not a hollow structure like the back? I have attached pics for reference.

Attachments

• PXL_20240218_194030588.jpg
    PXL_20240218_194030588.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 56
  • PXL_20240216_230629921.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240216_230629921.MP.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 56
  • PXL_20240216_230720191.jpg
    PXL_20240216_230720191.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 56

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
There is an interesting series of talks with Anthony Grimaldi on Audioholics in one of them discusses subs.
He believes in four subs in the corners or 25% in from the corners.
Do you still have the Polk subs?
Keith

OP
S

SharinganUser

There is an interesting series of talks with Anthony Grimaldi on Audioholics in one of them discusses subs.
He believes in four subs in the corners or 25% in from the corners.
Do you still have the Polk subs?
Keith
Unfortunately no. I sold them to buy this Arendal sub. Not cheap lol. I plan on buying another one right away. Hoping it will help... If you look at pics i can only put them in 2 more corners in the offshoot space to right of my screens as listener area are taken by seats... Also i have no way to neatly get cables back there even if there was space.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You can also experiment with REW’s ‘room simulation’ feature, enter your rooms dimensions and then the positions of your speakers listening position, then adds subs, you can then virtually drag them around and see the FR change.
It won’t be perfect because it’s only for rectangular rooms but it will give you an idea.
Keith

OP
S

SharinganUser

You can also experiment with REW’s ‘room simulation’ feature, enter your rooms dimensions and then the positions of your speakers listening position, then adds subs, you can then virtually drag them around and see the FR change.
It won’t be perfect because it’s only for rectangular rooms but it will give you an idea.
Keith
I did try that and noticed the rectangle room limits... So I took sub and moved it inch by inch along front wall and into lil nook around wall. Still nothing in that front row. I even put it RIGHT beside row which worked but sub was VERY localized and cable has to come across room so not ideal. I might just have to add subs til there is enough woofer to move air in the room.... If thats even a thing..

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You have been measuring with REW moving ,measuring?
Keith

OP
S

SharinganUser

You have been measuring with REW moving ,measuring?
Keith
No no. REW i just did simulation with rectangle room, but dont think it translates with that empty space to side. I was moving and sitting in front row hoping to get some bass eventually. It never came. Lol.

ozzy9832001

I gotta buy a mic... Will ot work even though the room is a weird shape?
Yeah, it will work regardless. That's the point of it all though, is to see how everything measures. Odd rooms will probably require multiple subs to get this evened out properly. You may want to dust off the old subs. 3 of them, even mismatched in size and power could be beneficial. I use 2 subs, one 12" and the other a small 6", junker, but it really does help with balancing out the low end.

KenMasters

I gotta buy a mic... Will ot work even though the room is a weird shape?
It'll be useful to compare the response of the sub in different positions at the front row. It's not surprising you experience more bass against the back wall, there's likely significant reinforcement - it doesn't necessarily mean you're not getting good output at the front seats, it might only seem that way by comparison.

Measuring with with REW you'll get a better idea of what's actually going on in the room and find a spot where the bass balances out best. You can also compare the response at different points to see where a second sub might help offset issues in the response.

Concentrate on getting the best response you can at the front row, as it is the primary listening position and you're not likely to resolve an untreated back wall location.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey everyone!! Been struggling with sub placement. I have an Arendal 1961v. Amazing sub. Used it to replace two tiny Polk psw111 subs. Needless to say big difference. But with both setups I only have bass at back of room on the platform chairs and near ZERO in the front row. With this bigger sub I have Better bass in back, but still almost nothing in front row. I have moved single sub in EVERY possible position in the room and this is the best so far. Will adding another sub still help? Think it will change the wait they interact with room or even just add more SPL so the front row can feel something?? Or is it just cause they are on concrete and not a hollow structure like the back? I have attached pics for reference.
I got perfect bass in my main seat and great bass across my row of seats in an L-shaped room by treating it like a rectangular room: one sub at front middle and one sub at rear middle. To expand that to a second row, I would need to consider a third or even fourth sub.

Regarding the concrete, that does affect our perception of bass due to the reduced tactile effects. These tactile effects combine with the audible to produce our complete perception. You can fix that by building a small platform for your seats which will bring those vibrations back.

Top Bottom