• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help with room setup / REW / CamilleDSP

itsikhefez

Hi all,
Lots of similar threads here but each room is different so starting another one for my room.

Room is roughly 23 x 12 x 9 ft.
It is a semi-dedicated room for audio and HT (front half is the system, back half has a few cabinets and a small table).

When moving in, I purchased room treatments from GIK (4x corner bass traps, 4x 244 panels, 2x 6" diffuser/absorber, 2x 4" diffuser/absorber) and placed them where seemed to make sense.
I want to take the next step to optimize this room with:
1) Proper speaker placement
2) Optimal room treatment placement
3) Subwoofer integration
4) Room correction via RPI/Camille DSP for final bits

I have 3 different pairs of front speakers (Troels Gravesen Ekta mk2, Troels Gravesen Faital 3WC, Bagby Adelphos MTM).
The subwoofer I have is the TG ScanSpeak with FA251 plate amp.
I want to perform this whole process with one pair, and once I have the hang of it, will do the same for other two.
The goal is to able to evaluate and choose which speaker to keep when they are each performing as best as possible in my room.

I have 2 measurements, the first with the room as it was with treatment (UMIK-1 at listening position 0deg), and then I removed all treatment and ran again (current state).

The are multiple variables here so what is the best next step?
I assume that I will put the corner bass traps back in the front wall, there isn't really any other place I can or should put them in.
But afterwards, how to go about speaker placement? Is it just trial and error or is there a better method to find the optimal spot?

Attachments

• Ekta L Jan 3.mdat.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
  • All SPL.png
    All SPL.png
    372.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IR Treatment.png
    IR Treatment.png
    440.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IR Untreated.png
    IR Untreated.png
    377.8 KB · Views: 42
  • RT60 Treatment.png
    RT60 Treatment.png
    362.5 KB · Views: 42
  • RT60 Untreated.png
    RT60 Untreated.png
    374.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Spect Treatment.png
    Spect Treatment.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
  • Spect Untreated.png
    Spect Untreated.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • Waterfall Treatment.png
    Waterfall Treatment.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 39
  • Waterfall Untreated.png
    Waterfall Untreated.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:

mikewxyz

Itsikhefez: I'll make a couple comments although I would consider myself a "REW in Training" user. The time domain graphs are very telling. Without treatment you have a 47dB peak at ~2 msec after the initial signal. Your brain will merge that reflection with the initial sound and make it diffuse or muddier. The treatment graph shows that same peak to be > 20dB below the initial sound peak making it no longer audible. That's a good thing.

You can do the string test and figure out what exactly the sound is bouncing off of at 2 msec.

I'm surprised that the graph above the Schroeder frequency is not smoother.

Mike

Top Bottom