• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HEDD Type 20 - studio monitor

Tj99

Here are some measurements of it:

View attachment 87121View attachment 87122View attachment 87123View attachment 87124View attachment 87125

Source:

It would be good to see how would it look in Amir's setup. Preferably with and without HEDD Lineariser.
Are these measurements done in an anechoic chamber or in a well treated studio room? Seems to be the latter according to the waterfall graphs, doesn't it? If so, these look really flat, especially when engaging the LF- and HF- at the back.

Compared to the KH310 I would expect that the LW is more balanced there than with the Hepp Type 20, because for example the vertical radiation of the KH310 should be more linear at the transition from midrange to tweeter.
Maybe Amir will get both speakers to measure, then we will have certainty.

As written above, it is not possible to correct the errors in the radiation, they can only be compensated by changing the on-axis FR.

When the "Lineariser" linearizes the frequency response on axis, it gets exactly the radiation that the normalized spectrogram shows.

I also participated at an online presentation, where the founders were talking that they chose the Type 20 to match all the other monitors of the MK2 range soundwise. So according to that, the type 20 could show better measurements than the type 30. Interestingly when looking at the FR correction EQ of their lineariser plugin in plugindoctor, the correction curve of the Type 20 is flatter, than the one of the Type 30.

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If so, these look really flat, especially when engaging the LF- and HF- at the back.

"Flat" is not a word I'd use to describe these measurements. Look at the 75dB vertical scale used, then note the magnitude of deviations (even with both tone controls on minimum settings).

Reactions: 617

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here’s a photograph this pair currently in eldest son’s bedroom , haven’t measured them but they sound pretty decent in their ‘stuffed where they will fit’ placement.

Keith
Hey Keith, it's me, your eldest son.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I still don't understand why use a rubber coating on a pro Monitor.

Tj99

"Flat" is not a word I'd use to describe these measurements. Look at the 75dB vertical scale used, then note the magnitude of deviations (even with both tone controls on minimum settings).
The FR is within 7db (+-3,5db) above 50Hz with both controls on minimum , this is pretty perfect for a measurement in a well treated room.
Most professional rooms cannot even achieve that without room correction software.

Neto Rare

I still don't understand why use a rubber coating on a pro Monitor.

"Hey, the initial finish from when we started in 2016 was a kind of rubber-material, we switched from this one to a more normal satin lacqeur in the beginning of 2020. The new finish is less sensible to scratches and marks, just a solid, quite smooth matt black. The white versions are quite matte as well."

From Freddy Knop
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new...mk2-studio-speakers-range-2.html#post15171486

OP
Zvu

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There are white versions ? :)

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The FR is within 7db (+-3,5db) above 50Hz with both controls on minimum , this is pretty perfect for a measurement in a well treated room.
Most professional rooms cannot even achieve that without room correction software.

If this is really an in-room measurement and not quasi-anechoic, the highs must be boosted in the extreme relative to the midrange.

Reactions: 617

Tj99

If this is really an in-room measurement and not quasi-anechoic, the highs must be boosted in the extreme relative to the midrange.

That is not always true, apart from that, the highs are indeed boosted compared to the midrange with both LF and HF corrections off.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is not always true, apart from that, the highs are indeed boosted compared to the midrange with both LF and HF corrections off.

Yeh, look I don't want to draw us both into a petty discussion, and it really doesn't matter, because I'm not considering buying this speaker, and if you are, I guess nothing I say will change that.

Here is a comparison between these measurements and measurements of a flat-measuring speaker (IMO), with the scales adjusted so that they match:

1608211284914.png

OP
Zvu

Zvu

Yes, there are even pictures on their site showing them.

I'm not seeing white Type 20 on their website - or anywhere else for that matter.

Tj99

Yeh, look I don't want to draw us both into a petty discussion, and it really doesn't matter, because I'm not considering buying this speaker, and if you are, I guess nothing I say will change that.

Here is a comparison between these measurements and measurements of a flat-measuring speaker (IMO), with the scales adjusted so that they match:

View attachment 99788

Sorry but I think you're comparing apples to oranges here. First, we're talking about measurements taken in a "normal" listening room, not an anechoic chamber. I suppose the graph on the right was taken in an anechoic chamber. If the second measurement was taken outside an anechoic chamber, how would you compare these two graphs anyway. being measured in completely different rooms?
What I said was: the Type 20s FR IF taken in a normal listening room, and I think it is, just by looking at the waterfall graphs, looks really good and pretty "flat". How many people can say they work in a studio environment with a FR which is +-3,5dB without additional room correction?

PS: My intention is not to open a pointless discussion as you said, nor to argue with anybody, but it seems we both are talking about different things. I am interested in trying them out, as well as a lot of other speakers, but that does not have anything to do with what can be seen on those measurements.

Last edited:
OP
Zvu

Zvu

^How does that corelate with my post you quoted ?

Tj99

^How does that corelate with my post you quoted ?
You were asking before if there were white versions, and I replied to you that there are pictures on their website with a link to it.
Sorry, that I quoted the wrong post...

Top Bottom