• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hedd mk2 Type 20 Digital Volume Control

t89472

Hi,

I'm a long time reader first time poster. (This forum is awesome btw) I cannot find the answer to a question I have and haven't found it on this site. Also before I ask my question I'll preface with, I've reached out to Hedd audio and asked them my question and haven't heard back yet.

I've decided purchase the HEDD MK2 TYPE 20 speakers and would like to use their built in DAC for playback. I will be using them for mixing. I will be taking the AES output of my RME AIO card and connecting to the AES inputs on the back of the speakers. The problem is volume control. I am 100% aware of the downsides of using digital volume control but would still like to use that option. The question is what piece of hardware can I use for digital volume control?
I do not need another DAC and I currently have a MIDI control surface that controls a software digital volume interface. However there's a big problem with the midi control surface. When booting your system, the midi interface does not engage until the OS has loaded. During this booting period loud pops, clicks, and cracks will come out of the speakers. I never had this problem with analog volume control, because as you know, when an analog volume is down, nothing comes out regardless.
To summarize, I do not want another DAC with a volume control, and I'd prefer not having to always make sure I my speakers are off before booting my system as I have to do with a MIDI surface controller. Also, to my knowledge, HEDD does not sell a remote volume knob to control their speakers.
Is there a high fidelity digital volume control piece of hardware that will control the volume of my speakers and will work even when my system is booting?

Hope this all made sense. Thank you in advance.

unpluggged

I cannot find the answer to a question I have and haven't found it on this site
It looks like you did not search too much.

I am 100% aware of the downsides of using digital volume control
I am 100% unaware of any "downsides" thereof, especially when using DSP-based speakers that will in any case convert your attenuated analog signal to attenuated digital signal.

The question is what piece of hardware can I use for digital volume control?
The options are plenty. The miniDSP Flex (digital), miniDSP SHD Studio, RME converters such as the ADI-2 Pro/ADI-2/4 Pro SE, or their recording interfaces such as the UCX II/UFX II/UFX III. The MOTU UltraLite Mk5 is another option. The choice is yours.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
You could wait to power up your HEDD monitors until after your system has booted.
Smart power strips that can be controlled via your PC or remote control can also be used to power up your monitors after your pc has booted.

OP
T

t89472

It looks like you did not search too much.

I am 100% unaware of any "downsides" thereof, especially when using DSP-based speakers that will in any case convert your attenuated analog signal to attenuated digital signal.

The options are plenty. The miniDSP Flex (digital), miniDSP SHD Studio, RME converters such as the ADI-2 Pro/ADI-2/4 Pro SE, or their recording interfaces such as the UCX II/UFX II/UFX III. The MOTU UltraLite Mk5 is another option. The choice is yours.
Unpluggged, I did do my research and I guess I wasn't clear on what I was looking for. The items you suggest are not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a simple volume (single knob) like the Dynaudio Remote Control. Your suggestions are DAC's which I do not want. That is why I came here.

OP
T

t89472

You could wait to power up your HEDD monitors until after your system has booted.
Smart power strips that can be controlled via your PC or remote control can also be used to power up your monitors after your pc has booted.
This is helpful. Do you have any recommendations for a smart power strip that has noise filtering?

OP
T

t89472

I just got a reply from HEDD audio and got my answer. If anyone is interested and has the same monitoring issue I do here is the solution. The TC Electronics BMC - 2 or on the very expensive side, the Grace Designs M908 will digitally control high end speakers without imparting any tonal characteristics or artifacts.

unpluggged

Your suggestions are DAC's
They are not, or at least not strictly, as DA conversion is not their main function. Some of them don't even have analog outputs.

TC Electronics BMC - 2
And this is a DAC, or at least that's what does it say on its product page :cool: Besides, it's bulky and, most importantly, long has been discontinued. In your situation, I would pay my attention to the digital variant of the miniDSP Flex. You get room correction and digital crossover as a bonus.

I'm looking for a simple volume (single knob)
Why then are you mentioning the Grace m908?

like the Dynaudio Remote Control
Why not get that one then?

I hope you do understand that there is no such thing as a "simple digital volume control", since volume control must involve DSP.

Top Bottom