• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Heathkit A-8A Vintage Tube Amplifier Measurements

Ah yes, the joy of getting a shock off a top anode cap!
That's kinda both silly and impossible.
Everyone know if you remove the top cap off a 807 or TT21 or KT8 in service you will immediately destroy the screen grid. Usual thing is a nasty meltdown bright white hot, a shower of internal sparks and blowing the HT fuse.

I have a pair of old Bogen amps which run 835V on the anode caps (125W).
The main reason for producing the TT21/22 was to be able to run up to 1.25KV.

Those sort of voltages demand the kind of respect that bans fooling around or even joking about it.
If you have even been bitten by anything over 600V DC you will know what I mean!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's kinda both silly and impossible.
Everyone know if you remove the top cap off a 807 or TT21 or KT8 in service you will immediately destroy the screen grid. Usual thing is a nasty meltdown bright white hot, a shower of internal sparks and blowing the HT fuse.

I have a pair of old Bogen amps which run 835V on the anode caps (125W).
The main reason for producing the TT21/22 was to be able to run up to 1.25KV.

Those sort of voltages demand the kind of respect that bans fooling around or even joking about it.
If you have even been bitten by anything over 600V DC you will know what I mean!
I took the electronic ignition spark plug lead to the hand for several seconds. I was not impressed. Basically my 2 stroke motorcycle was stuck with full throttle and pushing the kill switch did nothing so I yanked the spark plug lead and boy did I get a shocking experience until the bike fell from me being electrocuted and it pulled the spark plug lead from my hand.

Car ignition systems are EHT but high impedance. (low current) so unlikely to hurt you.
A proper PSU for a large power amp by contrast is relatively low impedance and can conduct a lot of current.
Tasers appear somewhere in the middle but quite deliberately slam a good metal conductor into your skin.

I know which one is going to kill you quick.

Top Bottom