• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tube vs solid state amp measured with REW

OP
K

Ken57

If the difference between the amps is mainly due to the frequency response (and not the 2nd harmonic distortion since that's under 1%), can I just use my software plug-in graphic equalizer to tune the response of the solid state amp to sound like the tube amp? Its a much cheaper amp (Arcam A32) compared to the Mastersound 300b. I use the VST plug-in to compensate for the room.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If the difference between the amps is mainly due to the frequency response (and not the 2nd harmonic distortion since that's under 1%), can I just use my software plug-in graphic equalizer to tune the response of the solid state amp to sound like the tube amp? Its a much cheaper amp (Arcam A32) compared to the Mastersound 300b. I use the VST plug-in to compensate for the room.
Maybe, if you can get the response close enough. PEQ would be better for this than graphic EQ. Damping of the low frequencies might still be a little different, but I don't know if that is enough to be heard. Certainly if response were the same it would be much closer.

OP
K

Ken57

I was able to match the FR pretty close, and the two amps sound very similar. I also used REW's sine wave distortion function to add a small (<1%) amount of harmonics and I couldn't hear the difference. So now I'm wondering if some of the positive reviews of tube amps are due to variations in FR rather than overtones?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You're measuring more how those amps work with your speakers in your room, but the reasons for positive reviews of tube amps I think goes several different ways. I'm not a tube guy, don't see any reason to use them.

OP
K

Ken57

For solid state amps, do you recommend Class A or A/B (for Klipsch)? Any in particular you like? My Arcam is Class A/B.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For solid state amps, do you recommend Class A or A/B (for Klipsch)? Any in particular you like? My Arcam is Class A/B.
I don't choose by class. I have/had AB, D, G, H but I definitely like the size/weight of the Ds :) The Klipsch should be happy with any good amp, depending on your Klipsch's particulars....but they're fairly amp friendly in general.

ps Class A holds no interest due to the thermal thing.

Top Bottom