• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help in understanding THD on my vintage amplifier

jalon896765

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. My Dad has a vintage Sony speaker that I am thinking to use it as a desktop speaker. I have a topping dac with rca output. The vintage amplifier will connect to the desktop cua the dac. The amplifier is Sony
HCD-VX55. It is rated at (125 + 125 watts, 6ohm, 1khz, 10%THD). I just want to know how bad it is. Will it be noticeable?. I don't plan to have a SOTA sound quality for speakers. I don't have a good room at first place. I just thought using that vintage speaker could be a better solution than a soundbar.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That single figure says absolutely nothing. It’s just a THD point that is picked to act as the max power figure.

Under normal music load, distortion will be much lower. How low? That’s not specified.

OP
J

jalon896765

I don't have the manual. The speaker system is older than me lol. That THD figure is all I could find online. My alternate option is to use a yamaha SR-C20A. The speaker is SS-Vx33 with 10 cm tweeter and 15 cm woofer. Do u think using the vintage speaker is better than using the soundbar?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would not worry about the distortion very much.

Is it better than the soundbar? Possibly. It will have more bass probably. You’ll just lack codec support, but if that is no issue it may do just fine.

Just use whatever you are most satisfied with :)

raindance

Major Contributor
I don't have the manual. The speaker system is older than me lol. That THD figure is all I could find online. My alternate option is to use a yamaha SR-C20A. The speaker is SS-Vx33 with 10 cm tweeter and 15 cm woofer. Do u think using the vintage speaker is better than using the soundbar?
Just one speaker? So you'll set it up as mono? I doubt the amp will matter much. In fact it's possible it's too much amp... I looked the speaker up and it's probably junk, FYI. It's from a mini hifi.

DonR

Major Contributor
The Sony will probably be just fine. If the speakers are efficient enough it won't likely go above 5W.

OP
J

jalon896765

Just one speaker? So you'll set it up as mono? I doubt the amp will matter much. In fact it's possible it's too much amp... I looked the speaker up and it's probably junk, FYI. It's from a mini hifi.
No no. I have two speakers(2x SS-VX33)

OP
J

jalon896765

I would not worry about the distortion very much.

Is it better than the soundbar? Possibly. It will have more bass probably. You’ll just lack codec support, but if that is no issue it may do just fine.

Just use whatever you are most satisfied with :)
Thank you. I just need it for stereo. I guess the speaker will get the job done.

Top Bottom