• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has civility on ASR declined recently?

Thunder22

That doesn't really help....

"why do people insult others?"

In general, people insult others because they are insecure and immature. Anger generally intensifies the situation.

These people - let’s call them bullies - often feel if they belittle and insult people it will make them look superior both in their own eyes and in the eyes of others.

It also can be a way to divert attention from themselves when they find their own weaknesses have been exposed.

You won’t usually find someone who is mature, confident, and accomplished insulting others. They are secure in themselves, and have no need to put others down.
This is what I am trying to convey. I do not want to walk on egg shells, but apparently you would like me to. I will not.

Robin L

Master Contributor
What the reduction in civility [effectively everywhere on the internet] points to is the anonymity of online discussions, and the reality that there are few negative repercussions for bad behavior in social networks. The nature of online discussions also leads to many "Little Villages" where concepts well outside of reality are given credence where it's not warranted. This has spread out from online discussions and into the streets.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is what I am trying to convey. I do not want to walk on egg shells, but apparently you would like me to. I will not.
No-one needs to walk on eggshells. They just need to not be a dick.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I think the gender-neutral version is more appropriate >> "They just need not be an *sshole!";);)
Either definition works, just don’t commingle them! :oops:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Either definition works, just don’t commingle them! :oops:
I think a Senator had to resign because of saying "If you think sex is a pain in the *ss, then you are probably doing it wrong!".
His comment was about doing things wrong and had nothing to with anything that should stay in the bedroom.
Woke-ism hadn't existed then, yet!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think a Senator had to resign because of saying "If you think sex is a pain in the *ss, then you are probably doing it wrong!".
His comment was about doing things wrong and had nothing to with anything that should stay in the bedroom.

He/she was an anal sex connoisseur? Woke-ism is largely in the mind of males who still need WAF approval for their audio gear....

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
It was a pun and joke! No further analysis is necessary, just trying to lighten the mood/vibe.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
... and he kinda looks like the pre-incarnation of Nelson Pass in this image ;)
5ea7f3d4f568a13ba70a31437b665110.jpg

nelson-pass-dfa59833-cbb0-4d77-bb6a-6783e2117a2-resize-750.jpeg

Does anyone know Einstein's views on the second harmonic?

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
It is funny how different people with different attitudes have different results. Some people think AdamG247 is Attila the Hun. Others like myself find him VERY easy to deal with and he is always polite. When asking me to tone it down or watch where I'm heading, he always says "please". You could not ask for a nicer moderator. But, some people get all invested in a post ON THE INTERNET!! They want to have a forum brawl. I would say that will get your 50% of the way to being banned. If people remember it is an internet forum and not brain surgery, no one has died on ASR yet, they would not be so crazy about someone with a different view.

Having said that, everyone who is a regular on here knows I have a short fuse and no patience for snake oil. That will get me riled up, but I try to stay in control. So even me, almost a Mother Theresa has had Adam politely send a message my way before. You know what, it didn't kill me or hurt me in any way and I thanked him for his guidance and moved on. Easy Peasy!

I do really, really enjoy the huge nerd fights that take place at least every other week on a topic. The engineers come out swinging at each other and I grab my popcorn to watch the fur fly. Nothing like a nerd fight! (Joking a little on the Engineers) :)

Larry B. Larabee

no one has died on ASR yet
We don't know that for a fact because owners of some equipment tested here having no electrical certification who have been electrocuted or burned down their house are silenced. Of course, here it's scientific proof that it has never happened. haha

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Owners [who have...] no electrical certification who have been electrocuted or burned down their house are silenced.
You certainly don't think that EEs don't do such acts and aren't responsible for burning down houses and whole factories? Shhhhhhhh!

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is funny how different people with different attitudes have different results. Some people think AdamG247 is Attila the Hun. Others like myself find him VERY easy to deal with and he is always polite. When asking me to tone it down or watch where I'm heading, he always says "please". You could not ask for a nicer moderator. But, some people get all invested in a post ON THE INTERNET!! They want to have a forum brawl. I would say that will get your 50% of the way to being banned. If people remember it is an internet forum and not brain surgery, no one has died on ASR yet, they would not be so crazy about someone with a different view.

Having said that, everyone who is a regular on here knows I have a short fuse and no patience for snake oil. That will get me riled up, but I try to stay in control. So even me, almost a Mother Theresa has had Adam politely send a message my way before. You know what, it didn't kill me or hurt me in any way and I thanked him for his guidance and moved on. Easy Peasy!

I do really, really enjoy the huge nerd fights that take place at least every other week on a topic. The engineers come out swinging at each other and I grab my popcorn to watch the fur fly. Nothing like a nerd fight! (Joking a little on the Engineers) :)

Adam is IMHO an excellent moderator in all respects - as you say, he's patient and polite. He's also clear and decisive, which helps too.

Top Bottom