• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Got a Chinese tube amp and now world is upside down

bethslave

First, you should not worry (nor express any emotion, one way or the other) about what 'non-tube' people think. Don't rely upon others to justify what you consider 'OK behavior' (or thoughts). At least within the realm of hobbies, which is pretty trivial in the scheme of things. I mean, it's not like we're talking morality, for crying out loud.

No, not worried at all. Sorry if I gave that impression and actually meant a bit of support to the OP. I'm just thankful for some peaceful enjoyment and discussion!

OP
S

svtcontour

Question for the OP. Are you still enjoying the amp? I've had a similar experience and now long term relationship with a Gemtune PA1501 which I bought based on this review:

I purchased it just for fun in 2019 specifically for near-field desktop use and wound up liking it a lot. I wasn't too concerned about power or distortion, I just wanted general competence in electrical design, frequency response and noise floor. It's a surprisingly good match for my Advent Baby II speakers which are rated at 89 dB at 1W/1m. I dusted off an old Fisher 10 band graphic EQ to boost the bass and use my PC as my music source with Tidal or Radio Paradise. The system sounds much better than it logically should and passing time doesn't seem to change that. It gets as loud as is polite in an office setting. Tube life doesn't seem to be a concern. One that it shipped with was a little microphonic so I purchased a pair of cheap NIB Sylvania replacements that have now been in use since 2019. Subjectively I prefer my desktop system to my main system for several 1950's recordings such as 'Cast Your Fate To The Wind' by Vince Guaraldi, 'Take 5' by Dave Brubeck and several Miles Davis tracks. That's fairly consistent with what others have already posted here.

Reading through this thread I'm glad the non-tube people understand that it's okay to experiment and just have some fun sometimes!
Sorry for the late reply and I absolutely am still in love with it. It will have to be pried out of my dead cold hands :)

egellings

Major Contributor
Possibly there is some frequency response coloration there and it is agreeable. On a different pair of speakers the sound from it would be different again but we don't know if it would be agreeable or not.
Agree. The output Zo of the amp and that of the speaker form a voltage divider. The Zo of the amp is very likely mostly resistive in most cases, while the speaker's is likely to be more complex. As a result, the output voltage across the speaker terminals of the tube amp will get modulated by the speaker's Zo as it changes over frequency. Different speaker, different modulation of the tube amp's output voltage, different sound. Hopefully, the sound is euphonic.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Agree. The output Zo of the amp and that of the speaker form a voltage divider. The Zo of the amp is very likely mostly resistive in most cases, while the speaker's is likely to be more complex. As a result, the output voltage across the speaker terminals of the tube amp will get modulated by the speaker's Zo as it changes over frequency. Different speaker, different modulation of the tube amp's output voltage, different sound. Hopefully, the sound is euphonic.
Some call this: synergy. :)

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Enjoy. And just ignore the tube haters. If you need more power or want better bass, just add subs.
Fact is they sound better than SS when clipping anyway.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So out of curiosity, I picked up a cheap tube amp from Aliexpress - branded as OldChen. Its an EL34 single ended. I figured for the dirt low price of about $330 (canadian money) including shipping, I can mess around with it and see what I think. I was prepared to hate this thing because I've always had solid state and hate mushy bass, softness and lack of detail.

My speakers are open baffle DIY and fairly efficient. I am guessing at around 95db @ 1w or higher like even 97. I also dont listen very loudly. Typically low 80's on the peaks .. maybe mid 80's. Occasionally tapping 90db on peaks if I'm feeling very crazy LOL.

Anyway connected this, and let it warm up for 20 mins. Then sat down and started listening to music and I'm just shocked. Subjectively, I find it neutral with no apparent "tube sound", bass is nice and firm and its plenty clear and resolving and for whatever reason, I'm hearing more subtleties. When I go back to my solid state, they are there, but just ever so slightly more subdued.

Subjectively, its better on anything that has vocals and real instruments or anything recorded in a live open space. The solid state is still better for pure electronic or dance /EDM if very loud volumes are needed. So at this point, I am finding it hard to go back to the solid state. I invited a couple friends over who are solid state guys and now they are tempted to buy the same little amp because they agreed, it sounds better and more involving.

So ... is it the fact there is even order harmonics? Is there any benefit of pure class A of a single ended. Trying to understand why I'm listening to music for hours a night instead of sleeping since getting this thing. Make it stop LOL.
Quite possibly since you are listening differently (you are in evaluation mode) you are noticing stuff you don't normally. This is common.

Or it could be level mismatch (how are you level matching?

Or frequency response variation caused by the high output impedance from the transformers interacting with your speaker impedance.

Alternatively it could be common-or-garden cognitive bias.

EDIT - just noticed this is an aging post - probably all these possibilities plus more have already been discussed. Sorry.

egellings

Major Contributor
Enjoy. And just ignore the tube haters. If you need more power or want better bass, just add subs.
Fact is they sound better than SS when clipping anyway.
If the amplifier is used for home music playback rather than as a musical instrument amplifier, then you would not want to play so loudly that either type of amplifier, tube or S.S., would be driven into clipping. If that happens, then a more powerful amplifier is needed. For MI applications, then I could see where the tube type might work better in an overloaded situation, since it would be considered a desired sound effect.

Chr1

Forum Donor
And a top tune by The Police.

If you are dyslexic.

Or is it Synchronised... Whatever, my favourite is "Voices Inside My Head" .

(And no, I ain't schizophrenic.
Much. Or so I tell myself.)

Ahem.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
1712085259228.jpeg

... but we digress.

welwynnick

Forum Donor
And a top tune by The Police.
If you are dyslexic.
Or is it Synchronised... Whatever, my favourite is "Voices Inside My Head" .
Ahem.
Synchronicity!
I'm afraid I remember when it was released. Happy days.

Chr1

Forum Donor
Aye, me too... Remember buying all their early singles (in various colours of vinyl.)
Roxanne, Can't Stand Losing You etc...

The post-punk/new wave days were great for interesting gatefold sleeves and weird coloured singles.

boxerfan88

Ya I do have a Dayton USB mic and I should really do a measurement at 1 meter from the loudspeaker as well as listening position to see how it compares with the solid state. With my Solid state (Ramsa amp), this was the response of the speaker at 1 meter. Its not ruler flat but I think not too bad for DIY and being open baffle. Maybe this weekend I'll do it again with the tube amp. Good idea. View attachment 316491

Just wondering…did you manage to measure both tube & SS for comparison? I browsed through the thread and couldn’t find it…

Top Bottom