• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard A26 DAC & Streamer Review

Rate this DAC and Streamer

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 40.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 127 54.3%

• Total voters

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Find this somewhat hard to believe, as everything I use as a musician (electric and acoustic guitar) is greatly impacted by build quality, power supplies, transformers in amps, vacuum tubes that "meet spec" but impact sonics differently. Would seem to me that analog output of a DAC would be positively impacted by a beefy power supply supporting the analog stage of the unit.
You can’t just extrapolate one thing from another. Is your house better if it’s build on a foundation twice the thicknesses of the design spec? Also with musical instruments I’m pretty sure that bias plays a massive role, probably bigger than build quality in many cases. And also here, we can measure things. Build quality says little about performance. Engineering does. Build quality just makes it look nice and may make a product more durable.

What am I missing?
Common sense != science

Last edited:

57gold

So, the science equals: minimum design spec components is all one needs. Any "upgrade" like better power supply, construction elements that control/impede vibrations or enhance cooling are window dressing and a skinny trace on a cheap board made of low end components is cool...as long as they meet minimum spec and will sound the same as a "well made" product?

Not sure what massive role bias plays in musical instruments? But I'm sure you'll tell me that my 1934 L-5 sounds the same as my 2007 Collings AT-16 (same structural design and woods) and the only way to know that I'm not fooling myself is to do large sample double blind test...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 51584

It's a good question. HQ Player and Roon both have remote applications for IOS and Android, but they need Extra cost. For UpnP I am not so sure. In all case, Yes the fact that there don't appear to have bundled app suites that supports Tidal is definitely a no go for me. I think most will use it with Roon, but not for me.
They're MConnect for iOS and bubbleuPnP for Android. They cost a few $. I've used both and they're both OK as basic players.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So, the science equals: minimum design spec components is all one needs. Any "upgrade" like better power supply, construction elements that control/impede vibrations or enhance cooling are window dressing and a skinny trace on a cheap board made of low end components are cool...as long as they meet minimum spec and will sound the same as a "well made" product?
If these “enhancements” do not translate to improved performance, they serve no purpose in that regard. Then yes, it’s just window dressing.
Not sure what massive role bias plays in musical instruments?
The fact that there are very little objective measurement based reviews of musical instrument is already a good clue.

57gold

The fact that there are very little objective measurement based reviews of musical instrument is already a good clue.

So, what is the objective standard? You gonna come up with "perfect" measurements of a 16" archtop, with a 25" scale, Eastern maple body, Adirondack spruce top, bronze 13-58 strings, ebony fretboard...? Sounds like dumb ass application of electronic engineering to musical instruments.

Oh, that's right, we are self deceiving and near-deaf beings who can not rely upon our senses.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So, what is the objective standard? You gonna come up with "perfect" measurements of a 16" archtop, with a 25" scale, Eastern maple body, Adirondack spruce top, bronze 13-58 strings, ebony fretboard...? Sound like dumb ass application of electronic engineering to musical instruments.
Thank you for making my point!
Oh, that's right, we are self deceiving and near-deaf beings who can not rely upon our senses.
That indeed what being human is all about ;) Having feelings about it doesn’t change the facts.

57gold

Actually, believe I underscored that your point was pointless. Ten builders build an form of an instrument and because of wood inconsistencies, design nuances, construction and finish processes...they are all going to sound different, like themselves, what sounds better is a value judgment of the player, not the some test graph.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Thank you for making my point!

That indeed what being human is all about ;) Having feelings about it doesn’t change the facts.
Let's not go too far on this,we're here typing because that very senses kept us alive,they are maybe dull in some areas but when it comes to survival or protection they are very-very good.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
what sound better is a value judgment of the player
Exactly, and that’s where the bias comes in. The value judgement is always subjective. It will always contain biases. Humans cannot just shut them down in their head. As a musician you shouldn’t even care. Part of the performance is the belief and confidence in the gear.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's not go too far on this,we're here typing because that very senses kept us alive,they are maybe dull in some areas but when it comes to survival or protection they are very-very good.
No doubt! We would not have evolved them if they weren’t useful. These senses are however not very useful at some other tasks, like distinguishing two DAC’s with 120 SINAD (and otherwise no obvious flaws).

PeteL

Major Contributor
If these “enhancements” do not translate to improved performance, they serve no purpose in that regard. Then yes, it’s just window dressing.

I am all for measurment Voodooless, but I do think generally we should keep ourselves aware of tunnel vision and not fall into our own bias trap. Quality of construction IS an objective improvement if translate to longer life and better reliability, and in many cases it does, it's not '' window dressing''. It doesn't take measurments to know that musical instruments sound different. Because there are not much measurments around that show how ifferent is a Stradivarius from a Samick violin don't mean they sound the same and the playability is the same... Musicians know that, it's obvious, always going for '' If so, prove it' blanket answer don't help the credibility of the scientfic community. On this, musicians are the experts.

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
I am all for measurment Voodooless, but I do think generally we should keep ourselves aware of tunnel vision and not fall into our own bias trap. Quality of construction IS an objective improvement if translate to longer life and better reliability, and in many cases it does, it's not '' window dressing''. It doesn't take measurments to know that musical instruments sound different. Because there are not much measurments around that show how ifferent is a Stradivarius from a Samick violin don't mean they sound the same and the playability is the same... Musician know that, it's obvious, always going for '' If so, prove it' blanket answer don't help the credibility of the scientfic community. On this, musicians are the experts.
Another obvious difference is that music instruments are for production while a device like a DAC is for reproduction where its purpose is to reproduce faithfully.

So for the purpose of reproduction we can and do measure how well it does its job.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am all for measurment Voodooless, but I do think generally we should keep ourselves aware of tunnel vision and not fall into our own bias trap. Quality of construction IS an objective improvement if translate to longer life and better reliability, and in many cases it does, it's not '' window dressing''. It doesn't take measurments to know that musical instruments sound different.
If it does, it’s measurable and quantifiable. Bedsides, those “better constructions” aren’t pulled out of an ass. Some engineer came up with them. The trouble is just: which of them the engineer came up with, and which the marketing junior?

Because there are not much measurments around that show how ifferent is a Stradivarius from a Samick violin don't mean they sound the same and the playability is the same... Musician know that, it's obvious, always going for '' If so, prove it' blanket answer don't help the credibility of the scientfic community. On this, musicians are the experts.
There were some blind tests with various Stradis vs modern violins, show that the differences aren’t really that big as assumed.. talking about biases of musicians…

PeteL

Major Contributor
If it does, it’s measurable and quantifiable. Bedsides, those “better constructions” aren’t pulled out of an ass. Some engineer came up with them. The trouble is just: which of them the engineer came up with, and which the marketing junior?

There were some blind tests with various Stradis vs modern violins, show that the differences aren’t really that big as assumed.. talking about biases of musicians…

Come on... Yes a new violin can sound as good as a Stradivarius, and if it sounds louder, it will sound better to the listener... Nothing to do with the bias of the players. You also seemed to have missed that sentence: (The record price for an instrument by a modern maker is a relatively cheap $132,000.) "It's good news for players," It's obviously not what I am talking about...

Now... How do you measure and quantify the durability and reliability of a new product? You tell me...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Now... How do you measure and quantify the durability and reliability of a new product? You tell me...
You can’t obviously do that with a new product, but you can set the design parameters for durability and then select components and engineer the product for these parameters. In the aircraft industry these things are actually confirmed with accelerated endurance tests and such things. Obviously for a consumer product this goes way too far. But still, the knowledge can still be applied there.

Like I said: durability is engineered, not pulled out of ones ass.

Reactions: VQR

PeteL

Major Contributor
You can’t obviously do that with a new product, but you can set the design parameters for durability and then select components and engineer the product for these parameters. In the aircraft industry these things are actually confirmed with accelerated endurance tests and such things. Obviously for a consumer product this goes way too far. But still, the knowledge can still be applied there.

Like I said: durability is engineered, not pulled out of ones ass.
True. But the fact remains that some do better than others... And the fact also remains that all audio products have been designed by engineers.... Some do their due diligence, some don't and design products doomed to fail...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
True. But the fact remains that some do better than others... And the fact also remains that all audio products have been designed by engineers.... Some do their due diligence, some don't and design products doomed to fail...
Fully agree with that! But the argument wasn’t even about that. It was about “build quality”. Which basically just means: it looks sturdy. And then it was extrapolated that: if it looks sturdy, it’s performance must be better. But this doesn’t follow. I can make a product with very expensive components, yet performance is sub-par. Basically any boutique audio product falls into this category. Nor does it automatically follow that the reliability is automatically better.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Okay folks, that was a fun side trek conversation and maybe it deserves further discussion in a new separate thread. I kindly ask for participants to stick to the topic of this thread. Your understanding and support will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. ;)

Highvolt60

Your filter descriptions don't match those in the menu or here from the manual:

A26 use AKM Built-in high performance PCM filter, a total of 6 Class digital filtering .

Sharp Roll-off default option (what I'm using in mine)
Slow Roll- off
Short Delay Sharp Roll-off
Short Delay Slow Roll-off
Super Slow Roll-off (NOS-like)
Low Dispersion Short Delay filter

Also if you could test the difference between the 2 sound modes (monitoring and listening) it would be great to know what these are doing !

Finally since this DAC has a combination of OpAmps and discrete output transisitors, i would say the measured performance is state of the art !

Best DAC I have ever had and there have been many.
System is Arendal 1723 Tower S speakers, ParaSound A23 amp, Benchmark LA4 preamp and various Digital sources.

Kaameelis

How exactly some -115dB Noise and THD would have anything in common with threshold of pain (and "120dB from it")?
It was about threshold of hearing line what is 120 dB down from threshold of pain. If -115dB noise and THD is compared with threshold of hearing level, then 0 dB is at threshold of pain. And how many dB down is actual 0 dB level from threshold of pain, as many dB higher is threshold of hearing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom