• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard A26 DAC & Streamer Review

Rate this DAC and Streamer

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 40.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 127 54.3%

• Total voters

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The DAC Streamer is connected to your LAN. It get's his music either from a computer on the same network, a media server on the network or the cloud, like for internet streaming services. you install an UPnP app on your phone. You have a wifi access point at home. The phone don't have the music, but it tells the streamer to go access files, or to search for something, or to launch a Tidal or such.
This is news to me. Thank you for letting me know.

I’m a Plex user which is a client/server system that can integrate with DLNA servers but there’s no remote control function. Players must be controlled locally. It’s the remote control of the player/streamer that is news to me. I appreciate if you can tell me an example Windows client (streamer) and an iOS control app so that I can investigate further. I already have a DLNA server but the player I use, VLC, does not have control facility.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
This is news to me. Thank you for letting me know.

I’m a Plex user which is a client/server system that can integrate with DLNA servers but there’s no remote control function. Players must be controlled locally. It’s the remote control of the player/streamer that is news to me. I appreciate if you can tell me an example Windows client (streamer) and an iOS control app so that I can investigate further. I already have a DLNA server but the player I use, VLC, does not have control facility.

Vijay_kumar74

Great review. Thanks! Was waiting for this review for long.
One very fundamental doubt though. Why are audio folks still stuck up with stereo DACs and not going multi-channel DACs like 7.2.4 for more immersive audio?! To me even 7 Ch stereo sound from AVR sounds more immersive/holographic than 2 Ch stereo sound from 120 dB SINAD DAC system. Are expensive AVRs like Denon 3800H/4800H still no comparison to 120 dB stereo DACs when it comes to comparing music/audio?
I think with music adopting immersive technologies like ATMOS, 3D Reality etc, DACs should also start moving towards multi-channel systems rather than leaving it on AVRs only or trying to simulate it using stereo mode only?
Apologies in advance in case it seems way too noob question. Am still exploring and trying to understand different audio worlds.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
One very fundamental doubt though. Why are audio folks still stuck up with stereo DACs and not going multi-channel DACs like 7.2.4 for more immersive audio?! To me even 7 Ch stereo sound from AVR sounds more immersive/holographic than 2 Ch stereo sound from 120 dB SINAD DAC system. Are expensive AVRs like Denon 3800H/4800H still no comparison to 120 dB stereo DACs when it comes to comparing music/audio?
I think with music adopting immersive technologies like ATMOS, 3D Reality etc, DACs should also start moving towards multi-channel systems rather than leaving it on AVRs only or trying to simulate it using stereo mode only?
Apologies in advance in case it seems way too noob question. Am still exploring and trying to understand different audio worlds.
The difference isn't in DAC quality. A good Denon receiver can't compare to the measured performance of a stand-alone DAC, but in most cases you'd be unable to hear the difference.

The considerations are mostly practical. Most music has not been mixed for 5.1, 7.1 or Atmos. The music that has been mixed for surround is often only available on esoteric formats. Using upsampling / surround simulation DSP processing is not acceptable for most listeners as it introduces artifacts and is sub-par compared to mixing for surround directly.

More importantly, though, most people don't have the space, money, or interest to invest in setting up a decent 7.2.4 system. You can pair this streamer with an amplifier and a good set of passive bookshelf speakers, or an even better set of active speakers, for well under $5,000 total and get phenomenal performance. To get comparable performance out of a 7.2.4 system you would need to invest at a minimum $15,000, without even taking into account space and the limited music available for the formats.

Some people may also want to set up an office/bedroom system in addition to a living room surround system, and no one needs two surround setups, especially in your bedroom or office.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I'm into headphones and my stereo setup is mainly for TV and concert videos . What would I want with the unnecessary extra channels that just add cost ?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have educated myself (thanks to you) and found out why I had been ignorant. Being an old person who had learned computers over the years since the 80s I had been automatically disabling UPNP on my networks for safety. That meant I had no experience on the subject. I remember watching a demonstration where a router was breached by a simple code running on a PC and the local LAN was opened to the public. I read that the safety situation is much better now with new devices but that was not the case even ten years ago.

geekosa

Can we use it directly into a power amplifier such as a HPA-S400ET, or do we need a preamplifier ?

Zaurux

• There seems to be a firmware bug: no difference between "narrow" and "wide" DSD fitters (to be confirmed).

• On the clock input, I was wondering about the receiver... fully sine/square compatible or more sine (like Teac).
No opinion or measure on these 2 points ?

Highvolt60

No opinion or measure on these 2 points ?
I don't think he will measure DSD (in post #8).

I still want the 2 sound modes measured to see what they do.
I can't quite wrap my head around them.
Sometime I hear no difference and other times I do but never the same way ?

Zaurux

These are the DSD signal processing modes (narrow and wide) which affect the processing (also at the recording level) and although the impact is minimal, it is audible.
A priori, this is not the case .
But these choices have nothing to do with the two "marketing" filters: monitoring / listening where the difference is very subtle.

As a matter of principle, I try to play on only one parameter. Ex. HQPlayer filter and DSD direct (no filter on the dac side).

Snoopy

Major Contributor

i wait with a potential purchase till I see a review by the developer of HQplayer.

what im wondering is what kind of Lan port is the A26 using? how fast is it? this might be interesting for DSD content upsampled to DSD512 over NAA (no idea how much data that is in the end)

yodog

has ASR measured the Auralic Aries g1.1 or Altair g1.1? Seems comparable to this gustard except the price

Top Bottom