• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
So do i. Sometimes he doesn't even attempt it. He had a pair of ATC SCM19 v2, didn't even try to fix them.

What is this problem exactly? He takes cheap speakers, changes the network and presents different FR graphs. Now, i can live with that. I can see people that want to give this a try, for a few bucks.

I don't like his binding post or cable crap, but not everyone has to be a saint in all regards to be appreciated i think. Just a guy, people, just a guy.
He was on another reviewers YouTube site and said ridiculous things about his ability to determine what good speakers are and that other people's rooms are not good enough to measure his speakers. It was very arrogant. I don't doubt that he can do crossovers but I just don't see how you take a person seriously when he says stuff like this. His kits are not really cheap.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He was on another reviewers YouTube site and said ridiculous things about his ability to determine what good speakers are and that other people's rooms are not good enough to measure his speakers. It was very arrogant.
Got you, i may have seen the same video, may have had the same impression.
But in the end he's just a guy selling his wares. No sense in going jihad over it, can't change anything about it.

I don't doubt that he can do crossovers but I just don't see how you take a person seriously when he says stuff like this.
I don't. Matter of fact, i try not to take anyone seriously. People are fireapes, they confuse thinking with feeling and half of them have an IQ below 100.

Here, listen to this tune, you will feel better:

You can thank me later.:cool:

RMW_NJ

I built Danny’s AV3 tower kit I think around 2003. I always thought it was a good sounding speaker for pretty darn cheap. But the arrogance and condescending nature of his videos and some of his postings on AudioCircle have really turned me off to the point where I wouldn’t buy from him again.

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Confidence (con) artists earn that descriptive name by virtue of their ability to create a facade of likability and trustworthiness that's effective enough to give others confidence in handing over a lot of money for little or no return. Volumes have been written about the techniques used by con artists and grifters to instill trust in supporters for the purpose of financial gain. Modern social media has given them a direct line to much wider audiences. Caveat emptor.

fineMen

Major Contributor
... the arrogance and condescending nature of his videos ... turned me off to the point where I wouldn’t buy from him again.
To get objective data cheap a Klippel is needed, as Toole confirms. If the Klippel is still too expensive (it is just 100k, so way cheaper than a single box from premium manufacturers), o/k, it is too expensive. Then the ears come into play. Standards are needed. So Danny invites to his room. And he clearly admits indirectly, that all this is about his own focus, aka taste. He and his room are the standard.

I don't think it is arrogant, but reasonable instead. The situation just reflects the 'market', as it is (still) today. Millions of people every week confirm this by buying along that guidelines. Didn't You see even here designers treated as genius, despite mediocre Klippel data, and clear violations of best practices, refusing data?

Hilarious the high-end blah blah is, no doubt. I can't stand it and also wouldn't buy.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
To get objective data cheap a Klippel is needed, as Toole confirms. If the Klippel is still too expensive (it is just 100k, so way cheaper than a single box from premium manufacturers), o/k, it is too expensive. Then the ears come into play. Standards are needed. So Danny invites to his room. And he clearly admits indirectly, that all this is about his own focus, aka taste. He and his room are the standard.

I don't think it is arrogant, but reasonable instead. The situation just reflects the 'market', as it is (still) today. Millions of people every week confirm this by buying along that guidelines. Didn't You see even here designers treated as genius, despite mediocre Klippel data, and clear violations of best practices, refusing data?

Hilarious the high-end blah blah is, no doubt. I can't stand it and also wouldn't buy.
He was unwilling to send me anything for testing. First demanded that I test in stereo but even after I agreed he still refused. In comments in his reviewer video called the type of testing I do a joke. It makes no sense to give him benefit of doubt. He absolutely doesn't want any proper evaluation of what he does. Period.

tuga

Major Contributor
If you go to, say, Madisound and have a look, the retail price of a ceramic composite cone woofer is about $100 each (starting). Beryllium tweeters are about $300 each. So not a few dollars.

But Revel probably buys drivers wholesale at 3/4 or even 1/2 the retail price...

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But Revel probably buys drivers wholesale at 3/4 or even 1/2 the retail price...
Sure. If you sign a contract with Revel to buy a few hundred pairs of M126Be per year, I'll bet you won't have to pay list price too.

KaiDeus

I mean sorry, but look at his personal designs, his speaker designs are totally outdated, there is absolutely nothing special about them. He builds solid 2 way speakers or wow D'appolito, any DIY builder can do that, it is hilarious how arrogant he is towards other people while showing so little in return.
He seems to live in an echo chamber of people, who tell him how great he is and now he thinks he is the rightful avenger of the audio world.
I'm not even mad that he says that some audio reviewers aren't great, some certainly put out weird content, but how can he be taken serious?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Confidence (con) artists earn that descriptive name by virtue of their ability to create a facade of likability and trustworthiness that's effective enough to give others confidence in handing over a lot of money for little or no return. Volumes have been written about the techniques used by con artists and grifters to instill trust in supporters for the purpose of financial gain. Modern social media has given them a direct line to much wider audiences. Caveat emptor.
Agreed and agreed.

But what exactly is the problem here? Yes, he has an insincere vibe around him and refuses the trial of measurement. He'll sell his binding posts to the easily impressed and uncritical. What are you(s) going to do about it? Nothing. I suspect few of his customers are unhappy with their product. It's like selling matresses with magnets inside, sleazy, but harmless.

At least the guy doesn't sell anti cancer ointment or something of that nature.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
At least the guy doesn't sell anti cancer ointment or something of that nature.
That's what moved me from "normal con artist" to "totally evil bastard" re: Van den Hul. Let's hope Danny stays on the normal con artist side.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

fineMen

Major Contributor
He was unwilling to send me anything for testing. First demanded that I test in stereo but even after I agreed he still refused. ... Period.

Don't get me wrong. I never related his approach to Yours other than his being out-dated. Not in the details, but as a whole. To have the Klippel is just another dimension.
To test in stereo, as he requested, implicates a listening test, right? To have listening tests, and only, was the way it went many decades before. Not for the better, as we know now. When it comes to the Youtube, enthusiastic reports, published as a video, as a 'review' of yesterdays listening, is the most prominent content.

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
At one of the Axponas, he did a demonstration of his health scanning system. The person he chose as a volunteer was the guy walking the show with me, who was... my internist. The doc, a much nicer person than I, just smiled a bit when Van den Hul scanned him and pronounced on his shoulder issues.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Damn. I guess conmen do come in all shapes.

tuga

Major Contributor
This interview with Van den Hul is a good laugh... "You're a magician?"

Top Bottom