• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 367 87.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 35 8.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.2%

• Total voters

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
So -- and I just thought this was worthy of mention somewhere ;) -- there's a new thread on AA (audioasylum* -- not that other AA**) on some fullrange-driver (single driver) loudspeakers that look to provide even less value for the $ (i.e., they cost considerably more even than the built up LGK-2). These were new to me.

NENUPHAR_FRONT_WHITE.jpg

F10NEO_SIDE_WHITE.png

Fidji

Not meant to be personal or whatever, but that attire alone is completely disqualifying. Tells you more about a person than 100 pages long CV. Complete absence of any taste.

1656223246567.png

kokakolia

Oh no, I don't want this to turn into a "let's talk poo-poo on fullrange drivers" thread. Audax (a reputable French driver manufacturer) sells the Audax AM21 LB driver for 314€. There's a shop in Paris which sells kits specifically for the AM21, you can also buy an assembled pair for approx. 2000€. I heard that speaker in the shop and it blew me away. Most other speakers in the same shop sounded veiled in comparison. And there were some high end models from Atohm and Davis Acoustics.

kit-audax-am-21-lb-25-al-bc.jpg

I just don't understand why there's any talk about cube audio. I'm willing to bet that this Audax kit is equal or better for a fraction of the cost. But nobody would care to find out since it's a very obscure product. I almost bought these speakers but they sound too big for a small room.

YSC

Major Contributor
I feels his effort to do something fishy in his youtube channel. he posted a demo with sub, and claims cross over between 50-80 hz, with averaged spl >85db, but when someone asked about him posting a video with SPL meter on, only the LGK to show the SPL and see if distortion happens, he just refuse and keep say it will not distort unless you overdrive them, and that the standlone google drive sample is better way to show since youttube compression will make thing sound terrible.

IMO I agree that the compression will make it sound less good, but hey we are talking about the driver distortion at ~80-85db, if it isn't a case putting the SPL meter in MLP at desktop distance, playing same music as amirm and with LGK alone sounds smore practical

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I just don't understand how anyone could accept his demos with not one, but two giant subs. This is not the application for this speaker and certainly not the answer to my review. And yes, details of what filter used is very obscure. He doesn't even show the filter. And then there is a whole day delay to re-do the recording. Why was that needed?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just don't understand how anyone could accept his demos with not one, but two giant subs.
We’re those two demo sound files made by GR with sub?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Between 50-80Hz? How step is the filter? What kind of filter?

Thats what i call precise!

This people can hear the difference of 4mm^2 to 6mm^2 in a 2m cable run. But who cares about subwoofer filter settings?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A link was posted in this thread or the parallel one.
I’ve seen the link, listened to the files, didn’t deduce from any accompanying information that subwoofer were used though? So, we’re they?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Think what those little peas stirred up emotions, he he::)

Is he a comedian? Those are not the speakers I tested. Their cabinets are far larger and even the driver may be the older one with double the excursion. And instead of emulating my test with one speaker, he is using two.

And no, no way was my audio test at 90 dB. Actual SPL hovers between 75 and 82 dB when distortion is apparent.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I’ve seen the link, listened to the files, didn’t deduce from any accompanying information that subwoofer were used though? So, we’re they?
Of course. A picture of the room was posted and Danny explained he used subs:

1656227070696.png

DanielT

Major Contributor
Is he a comedian? Those are not the speakers I tested. Their cabinets are far larger and even the driver may be the older one with double the excursion. And instead of emulating my test with one speaker, he is using two.

And no, no way was my audio test at 90 dB. Actual SPL hovers between 75 and 82 dB when distortion is apparent.
I know. You are right.:)

It was mostly to show. The LGK 2.0 is just stupid from start to finish. Expensive as hell. There are countless other small desktop speakers at much lower prices with the same or better performance.:D

kokakolia

"I listen to one single speaker in very close proximity sitting at a desk and with uncomfortably high volumes"

This is the absolute definition of "How not to enjoy listening to speakers" haha.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course. A picture of the room was posted and Danny explained he used subs:

View attachment 214712
Totally missed that.. or must be later post.

Well, yeah, we already knew that these things would not sound bad with a few big subs crossed not very low… he proved exactly nothing.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
"I listen to one single speaker in very close proximity sitting at a desk and with uncomfortably high volumes"

This is the absolute definition of "How not to enjoy listening to speakers" haha.
Who are you quoting?

YSC

Major Contributor

Is it me or something, it seems even with that setup I did hear some distortion

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like we already have data on the PartsExpress kit by Erin:
Parts%20Express%20Copperhead%20Desktop%20Full-Range%20Speaker%20Harmonic%20Distortion%20%2886dB%20%40%201m%29.png

At best 1% THD below 1 kHz, much worse below 200 Hz. Arguably the GR does better from 600 to 2000 Hz. The low end and high end though goes to the cheaper kit, distortion wise, it does not go as deep though. The GR kit might be a tad more linear.

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Top Bottom