• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 87.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.2%

• Total voters

DanielT

Major Contributor
For a nice and simple kitchen speaker, these could work just fine. I once build a tiny transmission line for my dad using an excellent Vifa wideband, back in 2004:
img_001.jpg

It needed no filter and went quite deep for its size (about 100 cm long line). It obviously didn't go loud but was perfect for the kitchen. Was powered by a wireless receiver with a tiny amp that I scavenged from a wireless FM speaker set.

No is that something to spend so much money on? Probably not.
That made me think of these. Maybe thats a fun DIY for those who have access to a 3d printer?::)

FDR3ZCOKW154HZJ.jpg

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess I meant who manufactures them, possibly an unknown factory in China.

Maybe I should work there, I live 20 minutes away.
Depends on the driver or driver line. Most Reference and Esoteric series are made in Taiwan. The Neo ones I have are made in China.

Katji

Major Contributor
Looking at these, we cannot blame GR as they are not the only ones offering nonsense designs.
Does not make sense. Beside the point. Ref. earlier post referring to walks like a duck talks like a duck.

Katji

Major Contributor
We all know that GR means that it's a little speaker (with a 3" driver!) that he is claiming is a "Giant Killer", meaning against other small desktop speaker (similar small speakers with small drivers...)
Audiophile bullshxt. It's like when they say "good for its size," the bass. It means there is no bass, you will not be satisfied with the bass and you'll soon be waning better speakers.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone know why GR does not post phase measurements? I sent a support email to GR requesting it for the driver and was told "we do not have". Here is the posted impedance plot for this review speaker...
impedance.jpg

Note that the usual scale is there (right y-axis), but the plot is not shown. This is the not only for this speaker, but for every speaker they do. I pointed out that phase measures are industry standard (notably for drivers). Not sure how they do crossover development without measuring phase. Without it, would not count on any of their mods being "easy loads" (as is often claimed). :confused:

Reactions: GDK

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I am going to disagree with this :D
Yeah, me too.
Based on my experience, I have long said that laboratory science (both academic and for profit) tends to select for big egos and poorly developed social skills -- a bad combination. ;)

... and, yeah, I'm a data point. :rolleyes:

Reactions: MCH

Katji

Major Contributor
I don't know how you could ask me to do more than I already have.
Not so very unusual, is it?

Are you really arguing for the case of someone selling an unusable speaker?

Or do you just like arguing for the sake of arguing?
Well, I'm sure you have a few years experience of audiophile forums.

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have long since calibrated Danny @ GR as a "tinkerer for profit." If Danny told me the sun was up, I would look out the window with a 50-50 expectation that he guessed correctly. I stopped believing anything from him after his notorious "tuner-test" of speaker wires. That was unenlightened nonsense which, when challenged by many better thinkers, he doubled down on. Dolts double down on dumb mistakes.

I also don't believe anything that comes from fortune-tellers and psychics. The road to low-fi is paved with the efforts of tinkerers. Tinkerers might occasionally come up with something that works, but the smart money generally bets against it. And it's your money.

But I have to say that "talking shuckydarn" probably gathers a certain audience of an ever hopeful 'silk purse from a sow's ear' faithful.

uwotm8

That made me think of these. Maybe thats a fun DIY for those who have access to a 3d printer?::)

View attachment 211928
You can actually 2D-CNC mill it of plywood or fiberboard and glue down as a "layered cake" - that may be cheaper and overall fits all such "extruded 2D" geometry.
Attaching a sample:

Attachments

• pic3539.jpg
    pic3539.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 71

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah, me too.
Based on my experience, I have long said that laboratory science (both academic and for profit) tends to select for big egos and poorly developed social skills -- a bad combination. ;)

... and, yeah, I'm a data point. :rolleyes:
Well... the ego part... :-D

tomtoo

Major Contributor
You can actually 2D-CNC mill it of plywood or fiberboard and glue down as a "layered cake" - that may be cheaper and overall fits all such "extruded 2D" geometry.
Attaching a sample:

Looks great but a lot of work for me and my fretsaw. ;)

Toni Mas

No, more by body impact factore. Very subjective. But bif and measurents corelate very well. ;)
I personally have no interest at all in bif, and also listen at very low SPL in a small dedicated room and hence do not need any big multi way system. Simply in my experience with small full range drivers 3" is too small.
My current main system is based on a 4", a little bigger than a 3", but the difference is huge, subjectively and also by measurements, of course...
vtl.jpg

audiosaurusrex

Thanks for this Amir. So, this begs the question as to whether GR Research speaker upgrades are worth the $$. I'm interested in the upgrade for my Focal Aria 906's with a price tag of $460. Maybe Amir would be willing to measure them for me, hint, hint ;-)
Anyone here ever do any of Danny's Upgrades?

Last edited:

Toni Mas

Thanks for this Amir. So, this begs the question as to whether GR Research speaker upgrades are worth the $$. I'm interested in the upgrade for my Focal Aria 906's with a price tag of $460. Maybe Amirm would be willing to measure them for me, hint, hint ;-)
Anyone here ever do any of Danny's Upgrades?
Imho, the trouble with these upgrades is that when you have made the changes you have paid for, you have no longer the originals at hand to compare if you have really changed for a better speaker...:rolleyes:

Top Bottom