• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

GoldenEar Triton 1, 1R, and Reference

I think 'hot' is usually an indication that the room has first point reflection problems, and/or the listener prefers a tilted sound signature common in many non-neutral speakers. Totally agreed with the user above me on the 4367 :) what a great sounding, measuring performing, and looking speaker! JBL really hits it out of the park.

Ilkless

The top-end of Goldenear speakers have been consistently rough and hot in my experience as well. I'm very sensitive to peaks around 2kHz, especially within the listening window. That's why the KEF LS50 passive was absolutely not for me.

Ron Texas

Major Contributor
The top-end of Goldenear speakers have been consistently rough and hot in my experience as well. I'm very sensitive to peaks around 2kHz, especially within the listening window. That's why the KEF LS50 passive was absolutely not for me.
Just point them straight forward and the peak goes away. Besides, you can't stop knocking those famous speakers every chance you get.

Last edited:

TitaniumTroy

I would like to see a shoot out between Martin Logan's Motion series vs Golden Ears Triton's, they also have some good reviews, though not as many. I have heard them a couple of times briefly they sounded good to me. They did not seem bright, but like I said it was fairly brief listening session. They are cheaper than the Triton's, for the 60XT with dual 8" woofers. So bass should be decent and uses the same type of folded tweeter.

The next thing I am going to buy is a MiniDSP calibrated USB microphone so I can use REW. For $50 it's low risk.
It’s a slippery slope.

:)

Once you start using REW you learn exactly what your speakers are doing in your room and much manufacturer and audiophile puff disappears.

A floor stander like the F208 plonked into the room is likely to sound better than the M106 and a couple of subs plonked into corners.

But position and EQ those subs properly with REW and a MiniDSP and you’ll end up with something you can’t get with the F208 because the best place for bass drivers isn’t usually where the best place for mids and treble is.

Ron Texas

Major Contributor
It’s a slippery slope.

:)

Once you start using REW you learn exactly what your speakers are doing in your room and much manufacturer and audiophile puff disappears.

A floor stander like the F208 plonked into the room is likely to sound better than the M106 and a couple of subs plonked into corners.

But position and EQ those subs properly with REW and a MiniDSP and you’ll end up with something you can’t get with the F208 because the best place for bass drivers isn’t usually where the best place for mids and treble is.
I have been using the mike and REW for a while now. It takes things to a new level.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
amirm AXPONA Audio Show 8