• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GoldenEar Triton 1, 1R, and Reference

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The top-end of Goldenear speakers have been consistently rough and hot in my experience as well. I'm very sensitive to peaks around 2kHz, especially within the listening window. That's why the KEF LS50 passive was absolutely not for me.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The top-end of Goldenear speakers have been consistently rough and hot in my experience as well. I'm very sensitive to peaks around 2kHz, especially within the listening window. That's why the KEF LS50 passive was absolutely not for me.
Just point them straight forward and the peak goes away. Besides, you can't stop knocking those famous speakers every chance you get.

Last edited:

TitaniumTroy

I would like to see a shoot out between Martin Logan's Motion series vs Golden Ears Triton's, they also have some good reviews, though not as many. I have heard them a couple of times briefly they sounded good to me. They did not seem bright, but like I said it was fairly brief listening session. They are cheaper than the Triton's, for the 60XT with dual 8" woofers. So bass should be decent and uses the same type of folded tweeter.

sfdoddsy

The next thing I am going to buy is a MiniDSP calibrated USB microphone so I can use REW. For $50 it's low risk.
It’s a slippery slope.

:)

Once you start using REW you learn exactly what your speakers are doing in your room and much manufacturer and audiophile puff disappears.

A floor stander like the F208 plonked into the room is likely to sound better than the M106 and a couple of subs plonked into corners.

But position and EQ those subs properly with REW and a MiniDSP and you’ll end up with something you can’t get with the F208 because the best place for bass drivers isn’t usually where the best place for mids and treble is.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s a slippery slope.

:)

Once you start using REW you learn exactly what your speakers are doing in your room and much manufacturer and audiophile puff disappears.

A floor stander like the F208 plonked into the room is likely to sound better than the M106 and a couple of subs plonked into corners.

But position and EQ those subs properly with REW and a MiniDSP and you’ll end up with something you can’t get with the F208 because the best place for bass drivers isn’t usually where the best place for mids and treble is.
I have been using the mike and REW for a while now. It takes things to a new level.

F1308

Major Contributor
For the Triton Ones, they each have 1600W Class D amped subwoofers built-in... That's why each speaker needs AC power.

Sub levels can be controlled on the rear knob.

These were Stereophile's joint loudspeakers of the year a few years ago, with Kef Blade 2's.

Measured well to. The top-octave peak was there in JA's measurements but in music playback it never bothered me much, and I usually hate bright sounding playback.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/goldenear-technology-triton-one-loudspeaker-measurements

They will be releasing fully active (DSP crossover, DACs and amps) versions of the Tritons too. They'll start with active bookshelves this year and then start work on fully active Tritons towers (if the bookshelves go well I guess).
Any news on those fully active Tritons, please ?

sfdoddsy

The active bookshelfs haven’t been released yet.
They are basically an active version of the BRX reviewed by Stereophile recently.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Any news on those fully active Tritons, please ?

They said they are in development (this was before Audioquest purchased them !).

But as above, the active bookshelves were meant to come first and those are still not out.

Supposed to be 2019 but got delayed.

Who knows how/if the Audioquest purchase changed things?

F1308

Major Contributor
They said they are in development (this was before Audioquest purchased them !).

But as above, the active bookshelves were meant to come first and those are still not out.

Supposed to be 2019 but got delayed.

Who knows how/if the Audioquest purchase changed things?
Thank you.
I did never understand why a loudspeaker with 300-600-1800 watts for bass would not power up the rest of the spectrum...

Top Bottom