• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GoldenEar Triton 1, 1R, and Reference

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree, but wish it wouldn't become too widely known. I've had in mind grabbing a couple for upgrading my video rig. ;)

LOL! $5,000 per pair new. It has no complications from an internal amplifier, full range, and no ugly fabric wrapped cabinets like the similarly priced Triton 1. I wound not be surprised if it measures a lot better than the Triton 1, considering who makes it.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
LOL! $5,000 per pair new. It has no complications from an internal amplifier, full range, and no ugly fabric wrapped cabinets like the similarly priced Triton 1. I wound not be surprised if it measures a lot better than the Triton 1, considering who makes it.
F208 Spin new.jpg

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
PSB's are high value. The T3 would not need a sub. Perhaps I would rather not mess with a sub.

Good review here: https://www.avsforum.com/psb-imagine-t3-tower-speakers-review/ Paul Barton uses the NRC anechoic chambers and has hung with Toole and Olive... A lot has rubbed off as you look at the in-room measurement from the article with the characteristic 20 Hz to -10 dB @20 kHz tilt of a neutral sounding speaker... Probably sounds as good as the KEF LS50 or better, but no sub required.

Listenflat

I decided to upgrade my home audio, beginning with my Padadigm monitor 11 towers and two Klipsh 12” powered subs. After some research the Tritan 1R’s seemed to check all of the boxes, meeting the need for home theatre and most importantly music listening. The next upgrade being an integrated amplifier with theatre bypass function. I plugged my new 1R’s into my system two weeks ago and haven’t stopped smiling since. I was concerned that I would miss the bottom end delivered through two 12” subs, especially in play back of my old classic rock, again... all smiles! They are currently powered by an Integra AV receiver (125rms per). Hands down, the best sound reproduction is direct pass through on all sources; LP, CD, MP3, etc.. Although in the interest of full disclosure the components are all audiophile caliber, with exception of home theatre listening with is subjugated to all of the signal processing. The 1R’s continue to expand on the incredible sound stage and imaging as they setttle in. What these speakers accomplish driven by an AV receiver exceeds any reasonable expectations that I had and I look forward to listening to them behind the Peachtree Nova 500 purchase I eagerly await shipment of. Bottom line...buy them, you will not be disappointed!

Music1969

Major Contributor
I decided to upgrade my home audio, beginning with my Padadigm monitor 11 towers and two Klipsh 12” powered subs. After some research the Tritan 1R’s seemed to check all of the boxes, meeting the need for home theatre and most importantly music listening. The next upgrade being an integrated amplifier with theatre bypass function. I plugged my new 1R’s into my system two weeks ago and haven’t stopped smiling since. I was concerned that I would miss the bottom end delivered through two 12” subs, especially in play back of my old classic rock, again... all smiles! They are currently powered by an Integra AV receiver (125rms per). Hands down, the best sound reproduction is direct pass through on all sources; LP, CD, MP3, etc.. Although in the interest of full disclosure the components are all audiophile caliber, with exception of home theatre listening with is subjugated to all of the signal processing. The 1R’s continue to expand on the incredible sound stage and imaging as they setttle in. What these speakers accomplish driven by an AV receiver exceeds any reasonable expectations that I had and I look forward to listening to them behind the Peachtree Nova 500 purchase I eagerly await shipment of. Bottom line...buy them, you will not be disappointed!

Nice! I've had the original T1's. Had them driven by a Nova 220SE at one stage and a couple other integrateds.

I'm waiting for their active range... they're starting with the active bookshelf later this year but have said an active Triton range will be next... probably 2-3 years away I'd guess.

If I still had my T1's the amp I'd be trying right now would be the Benchmark/THX AHB2... maybe fed from a Benchmark DAC3 as DAC/Pre or RME ADI-2 as DAC/Pre (both have remote control and balanced outputs).

MSNWatch

I recently acquired a Definitive Technology Mythos ST (not the newer ST-L which has a hot top end) - like them a lot and a great bargain used - available for $1k a pair or under. Use them with a Paradigm PW-Amp with ARC and they are full range in a nice slim package. Measure good too - from Sound and Vision (the purple tracing):

The Mythos ST's listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.28/–1.68 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. The –3-dB point is at 30 Hz, and the –6-dB point is at 26 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 5.21 ohms at 356 Hz and a phase angle of –36.19 degrees at 179 Hz.

1556902046218.png

Comparable to the Revel f208 measured by the same publication (again purple tracing):

The F208’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +2.38/–1.09 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. The –3dB point is at 34 Hz, and the –6dB point is at 26 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 4.31 ohms at 98 Hz and a phase angle of –49.57 degrees at 42 Hz.

1556902362888.png

Last edited:

MickeyBoy

Forum Donor
Nice! I've had the original T1's. Had them driven by a Nova 220SE at one stage and a couple other integrateds.

I'm waiting for their active range... they're starting with the active bookshelf later this year but have said an active Triton range will be next... probably 2-3 years away I'd guess.

If I still had my T1's the amp I'd be trying right now would be the Benchmark/THX AHB2... maybe fed from a Benchmark DAC3 as DAC/Pre or RME ADI-2 as DAC/Pre (both have remote control and balanced outputs).

I have the original Triton ones as well. Agree that waiting for the fully active replacements is the way to go.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
PSB's are high value. The T3 would not need a sub. Perhaps I would rather not mess with a sub.
One always needs subs (plural), at least 2 subs, preferably 3. These don't need to be expensive.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One always needs subs (plural), at least 2 subs, preferably 3. These don't need to be expensive.

That does seem to be a frequent view around here.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I have the original Triton ones as well. Agree that waiting for the fully active replacements is the way to go.

Nice, you can never have enough Tritons !

I'd love to have 3 tritons (with their 3 subs) up front, behind acoustically transparent screen - for both tv/movies and music.

snatex

Top octave is clearly too hot. Not worth pursuing.

Can you please explain how to evaluate this further and provide some other recommendations? I am considering upgrading my speakers/system and one thing I learned in testing many headphone rigs is that hot top octaves are my deathnail. After trying just about everything, the LCD4/Chord Qutest/Violectric V280 was my favorite combo by far.

typericey

I have not been following this thread but I highly recommend the Revel F208 as a stupendous value, especially as a pre-owned option.

Auditioned these a few days ago in a dealer. The conditions were NOT ideal: small, noisy room, speakers against the wall, hooked up to a Denon integrated. Even at that state, I loved what I heard. Awesome midrange.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I have not been following this thread but I highly recommend the Revel F208 as a stupendous value, especially as a pre-owned option.

How does the F206 compare? (Question also for the peanut gallery.)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
How does the F206 compare? (Question also for the peanut gallery.)
I cannot say since I have not heard them in the same place, in the same way at the same time. I've auditioned the 208s several times and most intensely in a speaker comparison test that I reported on a little while ago. I recently bought a pair of F206s for surround speakers but have not yet taken the opportunity to audition them as a stereo pair.

TitaniumTroy

I heard the Triton One.R's at AXPONA 2019, I agree with prior posts that the top end was hot. A friend from the Planer Asylum was with me and he agreed with me, we thought these speakers were about being full range and getting a lot of bang for your buck.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I heard the Triton One.R's at AXPONA 2019, I agree with prior posts that the top end was hot. A friend from the Planer Asylum was with me and he agreed with me, we thought these speakers were about being full range and getting a lot of bang for your buck.

I started the thread to see what people around here think. Not much love for these despite many positive reviews. Perhaps the reviewers can't hear a hot high end. Beats me anyway.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I started the thread to see what people around here think. Not much love for these despite many positive reviews. Perhaps the reviewers can't hear a hot high end. Beats me anyway.

Lots of love from me.

Maybe it’s the room and/or partnering amp/s.

Hotel room demo’s have never been too kind to even great speakers (in my experience)

Bass can be dialled to suit taste and mids are gorgeous and top end has that Heil AMT ‘clear as light’ quality (to my ears)

TitaniumTroy

I'm no industry insider, but Definitive Technology which was also started by Sandy Gross. Used to get all the great, awesome reviews, then Mr. Gross started Golden Ear. Def Tech, suddenly was yesterday's forgotten memory. You don't hear anything about Def Tech anymore, Sound & Vision and Absolute Sound always had ads running in the first pages of each magazine, now nothing. Something doesn't seem quite right there.

FYI, I switched from Magnepan 3.6s to JBL's 4367's, after Dallas Justice's posts, piqued my interest. The imaging/soundstage are awesome, as is the dynamics, and bass. Mine are dealer demo's so I paid $10k. instead of $15k list. I have been an audiophile for a long time and have heard many speakers many times their price, I would match them against any of those uber priced speakers, except the JBL M2's.

These are full range also and can play very loud, with no thermal compression, to control the power of the 15" woofer. They use extensive cabinet bracing, 135lbs, ugh. I think their ability to play very loud, without compression helps in their dynamics. As someone told me at AXPONA told me this year, "other type of speakers can do dynamics, just not as well as horn speakers"

Sandy Gross says all domed tweeters ring (I think YG Acoustics would disagree with their latest), the 4367's use annular mylar tweets and two of them for each speaker. So no ringing with them, and they have a very smooth frequency response chart.

Last edited:

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think 'hot' is usually an indication that the room has first point reflection problems, and/or the listener prefers a tilted sound signature common in many non-neutral speakers. Totally agreed with the user above me on the 4367 :) what a great sounding, measuring performing, and looking speaker! JBL really hits it out of the park.

Top Bottom