• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geshelli Archel2 Headphone AMP Review: another champ?

Swtoby

I had an issue with an Erish. Geshelli resolved it the day I contacted them. The replacement has been working great and an Enog2 I have has always worked well. Geshelli has excellent customer service. Besides, their stuff has transparent sides. That says to me they have confidence their products will hold up to scrutiny.

illumi

You now have no less than 5 choices in high-performance headphone amplifiers that are provably transparent in sound reproduction.

What were the other 4 choices, and are there any more now?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
What were the other 4 choices, and are there any more now?

If you set the criterion at SINAD 116+, and look at the picture above ^^^^, then the answer is from THX 798 and up. 15 amps total tested in this site.

digicidal

Major Contributor
If you set the criterion at SINAD 116+, and look at the picture above ^^^^, then the answer is from THX 798 and up. 15 amps total tested in this site.

It should also probably be noted that the number is even higher if you include combo products not included in that list. Many of the DACs listed in that range include HPA's just as transparent (like my Topping DX7 Pro for example). Whether these other options have enough output and/or optimal impedance to satisfy a given HP pairing is less straightforward - and arguably much more important than SINAD values alone however. ;)

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
:eek: On account of tipping over a water bottle, I can tell you that the Archel 2 Pro is quite water resistant, despite the front and back being screwed to the enclosure.

Tortie

Forum Donor
Apparently not. They just decided it was too amateur and boxed it up, best as I can tell. I dont want to ask if they have ever opened up the Schiit Jot that seems to have replaced it.

You might find this new teardown video of the Schiit Lyr interesting.

Mark explores multiple design flaws with this Schiit amp. I guess it literally is a piece of Schiit and a costly one at that.

Tortie

Forum Donor
Well it seems that Gesheili Labs ran out of steam. The manufacturer hasn't commented on ASR since December 10 of last year. The buzz surrounding their products followed a parabolic plunge in recent months. Their DAC continues to face delays.

Oh well. I was considering getting one of their amps after my first option, Schiit Asgard 3, fell through due to objectionable shipping and sales tax charges.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well it seems that Gesheili Labs ran out of steam. The manufacturer hasn't commented on ASR since December 10 of last year. The buzz surrounding their products followed a parabolic plunge in recent months. Their DAC continues to face delays.

Oh well. I was considering getting one of their amps after my first option, Schiit Asgard 3, fell through due to objectionable shipping and sales tax charges.
Not sure what they would be commenting about. They released a run of new dacs based on AKM chips which sadly are in v short supply due to AKM fire. That dac sold lightening fast.

Great company IMHO. Shipping costs to UK I had no issues with, import duties etc are a necessary evil for a brand that hasnt got the overseas market to pay a local distributor.

Tortie

Forum Donor
Not sure what they would be commenting about. They released a run of new dacs based on AKM chips which sadly are in v short supply due to AKM fire. That dac sold lightening fast.

Great company IMHO. Shipping costs to UK I had no issues with, import duties etc are a necessary evil for a brand that hasnt got the overseas market to pay a local distributor.

Perhaps I'm being too shortsighted. I just don't see many recommendations for their products this year as last year. I figured the AKM plant problems were a factor in the DAC delay.

I've read comments about Gesheili's amps that sounding aggressively bright. Not sure if that's the case. What say you?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps I'm being too shortsighted. I just don't see many recommendations for their products this year as last year. Other than the JNOG DAC discussed , what have they released to get recommendations? The Archel 2.5 was reviewed here long after release - not perfect but V good. Also, recommendations by whom? Review sites only tend to review new products. Its also a very crowded market - easy to get lost.

I figured the AKM plant problems were a factor in the DAC delay. Yup, more likely a whole new DAC with ESS or other DAC chip manufacturer

I've read comments about Gesheili's amps that sounding aggressively bright. Not sure if that's the case. What say you? Im sure you can find some saying they are dull too. They are transparent per the measurements. I bet those asserting brightness havent level matched blind tested with the comparison amps.

Geshelli

Audio Company

We're still around. I only jump on to answer when I feel it's needed. We do not have an advertising budget, the time or a staff to cruise all the forums and try to push our gear. We are working on new products for 2021. The AKM fire caused us to have to pivot quickly. Having to do this was unexpected and quite a blow, after just going through the expense of creating/releasing the JNOG. We are always available to answer questions via email. It's the fastest way to reach us.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's impressive (the Archel2). Although I don't need one (having the RME ADI-2 PRO fs) I should get one anyway. Supporting a company which can make something perfect for almost no money is a no brainer - and I can have a look inside as well.;) Do the sell to Europe?
The site says they ship internationally. You’ve made a good point though, ownership of the rme renders these sorts of products interesting, even heart warming but practically irrelevant, at least until the rme breaks.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The site says they ship internationally. You’ve made a good point though, ownership of the rme renders these sorts of products interesting, even heart warming but practically irrelevant, at least until the rme breaks.

Oh, I dont know- I have an Erish hooked up the the XLR outs on my RME. Not for sound quality- just so I can have a second pair of cans plugged in at same time and not have to swap jacks. Excessive, yes. Nice to have, yes.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We're still around. I only jump on to answer when I feel it's needed. We do not have an advertising budget, the time or a staff to cruise all the forums and try to push our gear. We are working on new products for 2021. The AKM fire caused us to have to pivot quickly. Having to do this was unexpected and quite a blow, after just going through the expense of creating/releasing the JNOG. We are always available to answer questions via email. It's the fastest way to reach us.
Just looked you guys up and found a YouTube interview. Absolutely love what you are doing, a breathe of fresh air.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, I dont know- I have an Erish hooked up the the XLR outs on my RME. Not for sound quality- just so I can have a second pair of cans plugged in at same time and not have to swap jacks. Excessive, yes. Nice to have, yes.

Yes, I had a poke around looking at the site and I clearly spoke too soon:) These guys are quite unusual to be delivering this sort of quality at these prices.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I had a poke around looking at the site and I clearly spoke too soon:) These guys are quite unusual to be delivering this sort of quality at these prices.

Yup- at the scale they are. Topping et al can benefit from a different order of economies of scale and geography to keep costs down. Not to detract from the engineering there either but a different ball game scale wise.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a GMR version of the Archel 2. Can someone tell me what GMR is?

Thank you

Top Bottom