• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec Global Launch Event - Facebook livestream today at 19:00 GMT

mirceat

G Three with AoIP would be my happy end of game. Exciting experience with G Two until then.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
https://www.genelec.fi/the-ones-tuoteperhe-laajentuu
https://www.genelec.fi/w371

These brochures are in Finnish, English must be coming soon.

The woofer tower is really something new and interesting! Backside has a 12" BR woofer range is 23-60Hz and frontside sealed 14" runs 60-500Hz. Two-ch dsp enables various setups to control directivity and do eq. SAM and GLM are updated.

The Ones series monitors have been revised and one taller model added.

press-image2_0.jpg

Disruptor

Could you tell me about speakers with similar features and performance which are available for less? They should be ethically manufactured as well.

I am all ears.

ye well i can accept the prices on the monitors but the sub price just goes thru the roof for one w371 i could get 2 7370 and still have some budget

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
ye well i can accept the prices on the monitors but the sub price just goes thru the roof for one w371 i could get 2 7370 and still have some budget

I was hopping that the W371 would come in pair (for this price). They told they are only for stereo (no LFE input).

In terms of look, seriously this look like a heavy fridge (61kg aka 135 pounds per sub), KII has proved you can do better, this is not a requirement for studio but at this price, some rounded corners and a nice paint could come handy to match the egg on top.

Price wise: that's the same range as D&D, JBL M2, large Geithan's and a lot less that KII+Subs. You can build the same for a lot cheaper I guess but you do not get the easy integration. What mitchco@ or dallasjustice@ are doing takes some skills, here setup measures and good to go (with low latency too if that's important to you). Dynaudio for example has a much cheaper sub that integrates nicely with their monitors. You don't get the same output and dispersion may not be as nice (would you hear the difference?).

Cortes

If I understand correctly, the W371 is not a sub, or maybe better said, it's much more than a sub.

This thing is able to compensate nulls in difficult rooms. No sub is able to do that by itself. I guess this thing will allow wonderful sound in almost any room after GLM trickery.

Given the difference on R&D and engineering, i guess these 8361+W371 will be above D&D, Kii, etc. And that, without talking about reliability of the brands, where there is not possible comparison.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm just busy with some live event using my trusted Genelec 1032A. I have no clue how old they are (even if, cosmetically, they look older than me - I hope). But these things deliver good sound !

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm just busy with some live event using my trusted Genelec 1032A. I have no clue how old they are (even if, cosmetically, they look older than me - I hope). But these things deliver good sound !

I know my 1029A's are from 2000 or even earlier, still working great.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Might as well get a D&D. With Genelec you are paying a lot of money for studio features like digital control.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This thing is able to compensate nulls in difficult rooms. No sub is able to do that by itself.
How are they doing this with a single sub? Or is it multiple subs.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
W371 has two drivers with 2-ch dsp, range up to 500Hz. The front unit is 14" sealed and backside has 12" BR. DSP controls range, delay and eq for both individually and in unisono with main speaker, with some presets in GLM and SAM software.

Featuring dual high performance woofers, one forward-facing and one rear-facing, the W371 introduces a palette of novel ways to custom-tailor system performance carefully to the room over the critical lowest four octaves, offering flatter, smoother in-room frequency response with more coherent LF imaging.

Three different operating modes allow you choose between a flat and neutral LF response avoiding ‘acoustic notching’, continued directivity of the main monitor down to the lowest LF frequencies, or reduction of detrimental reflections by the walls, ceiling or floor of your room. The W371 then uses our powerful GLM software to select and optimise the signal processing for the best LF radiation mode, taking into account both the monitor location and listening position.

https://www.genelec.com/w371
https://www.genelec.com/sites/defau...gues/genelec_the_ones_brochure_2019_web_0.pdf
gene 371 disp.jpg

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
So Euros 23k for stereo speakers and subs , similar pricing to the Hedd ‘main towers’ , cheaper though than Kii THREE /BXT.
Keith

msmucr

I am especially looking forward to more Audio-over-IP (and PoE-powered) speakers.
None of these newly announced monitors support audio over IP (unfortunately).
Nice new releases. I agree that Audio over IP should be included in their new releases, especially since they have had the 8340 IP monitor already for a while now with AoIP support.

Hi,

just for my curiosity, what's your use case for AoIP endpoint directly in such monitors/speakers and why you're disappointed by that?

I've done some projects with AoIP.. and I see some unquestionable benefits for routing lot of channels at longer distances (in context of bigger buildings, live, broadcast), inherent ability to mult signal to several destinations etc.
But quite honestly, I don't so much of its appeal for direct connection of studio monitors, not to mention some "fancy" home HiFi setup. Lot of times, when I speak to people, it seems to me, they think AoIP, VoIP like some kind of universal solution of future (hey it's at front page of every pro-magazine for almost decade).. and they want to have everything buzzword compliant regardless of particular use case or common technical sense (actual problem leading to solution, not the other way around :)) and thinking about networked audio also among devices, which are all placed on common desk in 3x4m room :).

To me, as I've mentioned, forte of AoIP is in larger setups, where you typically need to pass many channels of audio to various destinations, employ some failover.. broadcast, live, OB trucks. In most cases, there I would route many signals between workplaces/rooms. Almost always there is in use some other network "endpoint" device, be it mixing console, monitoring controller, which is in close distance to actual speakers with conventional inputs. If I need just kind of "remote" monitoring speaker, there is no problem to add such small, PoE powered monitoring unit (solves also need for HP amp) say with Dante. Even in the case of AES endpoint, if it will be really necessary, there are plenty of products out there.. compact and likely cheaper than some special expansion module like offered by some monitor manufacturer.

It's true, that 8040 has already IP endpoint.. I see that, that's IMO right monitor in their lineup for broadcast setups.. compared to larger midfield and fullrange systems, which are mentioned in this announcement and where I don't see much practical advantages.. it's aimed to studio rooms, where inputs are handled by separate controller or fed directly from some larger audio interface.

And btw. at 8040 its input is implemented separately from GLM net, so you still need to connect three connections there (mains power, GLM and input). So even simplified cabling isn't actual benefit.

So that's why I'm curious, what's your intention with that.. or maybe you have different practical experience with AoIP.

Michal

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
^ nothing more than to see Genelec, from my home country, leading the change towards AoIP :)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
just for my curiosity, what's your use case for AoIP endpoint directly in such monitors/speakers and why you're disappointed by that?

Have a look at the many proprietary IP-based (usually WiFi) multi-room solutions (Sonos etc.) out there. There clearly is a demand, and it would be better if it was done using open industry standards.

Top Bottom