• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 4.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 640 94.3%

• Total voters

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The spl horizontal and vertical contour is very very similar but the spl horizontal and vertical globe is a slitly better on the 8341a. Maybe this gives some indication?

Doesn't mean they both can't disappear but if you want to be technical.
I mean they both disappear in the audio sense. Sounds do not sound like they are coming from them. At all.

What I meant by disappear is simply the visual impact which does not matter if you listen with eyes closed.

If you have 8341 in your possession and you order a 8361 the day it shows up you will be shocked.

It’s exactly like that.

Attachments

• IMG_0270.jpeg
    IMG_0270.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 56

Impossible

I don't think anyone is debating the factual size difference or visual appearance, just the stereo imaging.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think anyone is debating the factual size difference or visual appearance, just the stereo imaging.
Fine now that we’re clear on that then I would say there is no perceptible difference as stated by Genelec themselves. Sure the measurement may be slightly different but if anyone can in a double blinded ABX test determine which is which I would be shocked.

The Genelec position on the Ones is that they all sound the same except in SPL capability.

I would just look at their distance/SPL charts and buy the smallest one that meets my needs. However since we are audio enthusiasts we might not have a problem spending 25% more for “just in case”.

I personally went from 8341 to 8361. No difference audibly. I even have them on their sides.

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fine now that we’re clear on that then I would say there is no perceptible difference as stated by Genelec themselves. Sure the measurement may be slightly different but if anyone can in a double blinded ABX test determine which is which I would be shocked.

The Genelec position on the Ones is that they all sound the same except in SPL capability.

I would just look at their distance/SPL charts and buy the smallest one that meets my needs. However since we are audio enthusiasts we might not have a problem spending 25% more for “just in case”.
An interesting test would be to compare them at a longer distance and see if the difference became more noticeable. level-matching might be hard tho.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you played content that didn't go below 100hz and didn't get anywhere near SPL limits, I'm quite confident that you would hear variation in room effects long before you'd hear any fundamental difference between the various sizes of Ones, even if they were placed side by side.

The bass extension and output differences are obviously pretty easy to detect if you try with the right content.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An interesting test would be to compare them at a longer distance and see if the difference became more noticeable. level-matching might be hard tho.
Level matching can be done directly within GLM. It’s just that the bigger ones can go to higher levels. So at some point the 8341 will flash that orange light before the 8361 does.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
They will be quite different due to their respective bass response, as their room interaction is pretty much different. Placement of the 8361 will be more challenging.

Haskil

Forum Donor

I personally went from 8341 to 8361. No difference audibly. I even have them on their sides.
I'm currently thinking about buying a pair of monitors to put in my large office where I listen to music for my work. I never listen very loudly: the SPL is therefore not a criterion with the strongest coefficient. So what you say there interests me a lot. I would listen at a distance of 2 meters.... And if I follow you, I save money...
One question: can we integrate a box other than a Genelec with GLM or are we forced to buy a box from them?

(Not a Box but a subwoofer)

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm currently thinking about buying a pair of monitors to put in my large office where I listen to music for my work. I never listen very loudly: the SPL is therefore not a criterion with the strongest coefficient. So what you say there interests me a lot. I would listen at a distance of 2 meters.... And if I follow you, I save money...
One question: can we integrate a box other than a Genelec with GLM or are we forced to buy a box from them?
Yes I would get the GLM box just it’s only $270 and opens up the real point of these monitors. My dealer included them for free anyway just ask.

For playback very simple - usb from a computer to $120 Topping D10s - spdif to BNC cable - Canare BNC to AES. That’s it. Less than $200 all said and done to play music to it.

I would also get the Genelec volume knob. Otherwise you have to use the GLM software to control levels.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
can we integrate a box other than a Genelec with GLM or are we forced to buy a box from them?
Glm is Genelec only.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Yes I would get the GLM box just it’s only $270 and opens up the real point of these monitors. My dealer included them for free anyway just ask.

For playback very simple - usb from a computer to $120 Topping D10s - spdif to BNC cable - Canare BNC to AES. That’s it. Less than $200 all said and done to play music to it.

I would also get the Genelec volume knob. Otherwise you have to use the GLM software to control levels.
Not sure it's true but I've been told WiiM Pro Plus could control it's volume too

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure it's true but I've been told WiiM Pro Plus could control it's volume too
Anything can and it depends on the interface you like. I like physical volume knob. Otherwise you can control it in your playback software. But that’s risky if you have that at 100% you will get the shock of your life.

Also now GLM 5 seems to start up at -60dB to prevent that sort of thing.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Btw just to clarify. The GLM box does not touch your signal at all. It simply allows calibration and control of the monitors themselves.

IMHO it is a must have with any Genelec DSP monitor.

Haskil

Forum Donor
I expressed myself badly: I meant can we use GLM with a pair of Genelecs and a subwoofer from a brand other than Genelec?

Haskil

Forum Donor

I have an "old" Tact 2.2X digital DAC preamp that has XLR and RCA outputs and digital outputs as well... And it has a physical volume knob... which I also prefer over software volume adjustment...

Top Bottom